RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Ticking noise in 2017 RX Fsport cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 06:39 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ticking noise in 2017 RX Fsport cabin

Anyone else has this ticking noise in the cabin when the 4RX is driven. It is low volume, and it sounds as if a piece of plastic rub against some surface. It is not consistent, but seems to get worse during a turn. It is kind of ruin the moment whenever I like to enjoy the quietness of the car especially on the high way. When this noise was not present, I was in heaven cruising at high way speed and enjoy how quiet the interior is, then the noise came back !!!
I thought I tracked it down to some plastic pieces on the passenger door (or perhaps where the door meets the dash), but I have heard noise is difficult to pin point in a car. Did someone had a post on some noise in the back of the 4RX (couldn't find that post).
The 4RX is good looking, has useful features, and driven nicely (especially on the high way) otherwise.
Old 02-18-18, 09:34 PM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that on the drivers side rear door on the outside is a small triangular piece of plastic at the corner of the window. When you open the door and hit the door frame at the top above the window it will rattle the plastic piece. I think it happened with us closing the door by pushing on the door frame instead of the main part of the door
The following users liked this post:
mssca (02-25-18)
Old 02-18-18, 10:03 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Supranut
I found that on the drivers side rear door on the outside is a small triangular piece of plastic at the corner of the window. When you open the door and hit the door frame at the top above the window it will rattle the plastic piece. I think it happened with us closing the door by pushing on the door frame instead of the main part of the door
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out even though my wife and son have now agreed that the noise is coming from the moon roof (up front between driver and passenger). Since the ticking, rattling noise is not consistent, I try to have the location identified before heading to the dealer. I can't think of any loose piece where the moon roof meets the roof of the car. There is no excessive wind noise from that spot either, just the inconsistent noise while the car is moving. I also want to mention that my moon roof was "dead on arrival" and was having problem closing properly at times when the car was new (new two weeks ago). That has been fixed, but this noise could be a side effect of that issue.
Old 02-18-18, 11:22 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Is it the seat belt swinging away? I had this inconsistent noise as well and noticed it under similar circumstances. Ended up being the passenger side seat belt banging away on the B-pillar plastic. Ended up sliding the passenger seat further forward.
Old 02-19-18, 10:25 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by signdetres
Is it the seat belt swinging away? I had this inconsistent noise as well and noticed it under similar circumstances. Ended up being the passenger side seat belt banging away on the B-pillar plastic. Ended up sliding the passenger seat further forward.
Thanks for the tip. That was one of the first thing I checked (had that issue with some other car in the past), but this noise is different.
Old 02-24-18, 06:02 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

I took my 3 week old 2017 RX to the dealership today. As I drove with the Lexus tech in the car, he confirmed hearing the ticking noise as I did (my main concern was the noise was inconsistent and the tech would refuse to recognize it). Car is in the shop now. Crossing my figures. We "pin pointed" the noise to the moon roof. I would be very happy if this noise can be eliminated.
mssca (02-25-18)
Old 02-25-18, 05:49 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a the same problem and the dealership could not reproduce it in two different occasions. This time I am going to tell them to check the door plastics and moon roof components.
Old 02-25-18, 07:31 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mssca
I have a the same problem and the dealership could not reproduce it in two different occasions. This time I am going to tell them to check the door plastics and moon roof components.
I will keep you and everyone posted with the fix for my car. Hopefully it will be a full fix. Car is still in the shop...
Old 02-25-18, 08:58 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Others have mentioned having same ticking noise and I believe it had something to do with sunroof.
Old 02-25-18, 10:40 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mssca
If one has the moon roof open half way, one can easily remove the black plastic "beauty" strips by softly pulling them out side way. Just do it on one side, so you will know how to put them back looking at the other side. There is no screw or anything, just some grooves the pieces are pushing into. Removing these pieces allow you to listen and see "into" the mechanism of the moon roof as well as listening closely for any noise that may come out of those parts. My wife listened and she identified the noise to come from the front corner on the passenger side of the moon roof. Probably the moon roof vibrating against the roof opening while the car is moving. Hope this helps.
mssca (02-26-18)
Old 02-25-18, 10:41 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Others have mentioned having same ticking noise and I believe it had something to do with sunroof.
This seems to be my issue also. Thx.
Old 02-26-18, 09:55 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
If one has the moon roof open half way, one can easily remove the black plastic "beauty" strips by softly pulling them out side way. Just do it on one side, so you will know how to put them back looking at the other side. There is no screw or anything, just some grooves the pieces are pushing into. Removing these pieces allow you to listen and see "into" the mechanism of the moon roof as well as listening closely for any noise that may come out of those parts. My wife listened and she identified the noise to come from the front corner on the passenger side of the moon roof. Probably the moon roof vibrating against the roof opening while the car is moving. Hope this helps.
I will look into this soon. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-27-18, 12:41 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

In my '16 4GS, it was the instrument cluster, lower left side. It took about a year to figure out and correct that one all the while diminishing my enjoyment of the car.
Old 02-27-18, 01:56 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
In my '16 4GS, it was the instrument cluster, lower left side. It took about a year to figure out and correct that one all the while diminishing my enjoyment of the car.
How did the tech (or someone) finally figured that one out? Did you initially thought it was somewhere else? Noise bounces around in the cabin, and it is difficult to pin point the location. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-27-18, 05:01 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
How did the tech (or someone) finally figured that one out? Did you initially thought it was somewhere else? Noise bounces around in the cabin, and it is difficult to pin point the location. Thanks for sharing
I thought it was coming from driver side vent or trim. Eventually started removing things like vent and trim. Had tech remove instrument cluster while I went for a drive and no more noise. While I was gone, he did some work to cluster that took care of my issue.
ut2sua (02-27-18)

Quick Reply: Ticking noise in 2017 RX Fsport cabin