RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Ticking noise in 2017 RX Fsport cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 05:33 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The interior assist grips in the ceiling can occasionally make a ticking sound as the body shifts if they have not been used for a while. I just "exercise" them a little and it has gone away.
Old 02-28-18, 10:18 AM
Jwebb88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2017 RX350 F Sport a month ago. Lexus has had my car longer than I have. They’ve taken out the windshield and resealed it. They’ve taken be headliner down and tighten the 36 bolts for panoramic sunroof. They’ve insulated the rear spoiler. The same ticking sound went away after they tightened the bolts in sunroof. I’ve had the car back for 5 days and the ticking sound came back today. Seems to be more present first thing in the morning when the car is cold. I have another call into the service manager who has been dealing with this for me. I even had the GM of the Lexus dealership speak with Lexus Financial to comp my first payment for my troubles. I hope to get this resolved soon so I can peacefully enjoy my ride.
Old 02-28-18, 11:42 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwebb88
I bought my 2017 RX350 F Sport a month ago. Lexus has had my car longer than I have. They’ve taken out the windshield and resealed it. They’ve taken be headliner down and tighten the 36 bolts for panoramic sunroof. They’ve insulated the rear spoiler. The same ticking sound went away after they tightened the bolts in sunroof. I’ve had the car back for 5 days and the ticking sound came back today. Seems to be more present first thing in the morning when the car is cold. I have another call into the service manager who has been dealing with this for me. I even had the GM of the Lexus dealership speak with Lexus Financial to comp my first payment for my troubles. I hope to get this resolved soon so I can peacefully enjoy my ride.
Did they take the windshield out to try to fix the noise, or was it some other issues?
While driving with me in my RX to identify the noise, the Lexus tech asked me if the ticking sound was worse in cold temperature. I told him I had the RX for 3 weeks, and I was not that familiar with it. It sounds like it could be a known issue. Sorry to hear that the noise came back. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Old 02-28-18, 11:47 AM
Jwebb88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ut2sua
Did they take the windshield out to try to fix the noise, or was it some other issues?
While driving with me in my RX to identify the noise, the Lexus tech asked me if the ticking sound was worse in cold temperature. I told him I had the RX for 3 weeks, and I was not that familiar with it. It sounds like it could be a known issue. Sorry to hear that the noise came back. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
They thought the ticking sound was the windshield not being sealed properly. They took out and resealed but the ticking sound was still there. I’m in my car now and there is no sound. I’m now only hearing it when the car is cold. After it warms it appears to go away...
The following users liked this post:
ut2sua (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 11:48 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jim256
The interior assist grips in the ceiling can occasionally make a ticking sound as the body shifts if they have not been used for a while. I just "exercise" them a little and it has gone away.
I had those occasional sound with my 2010 RX when new also. Fixed it early on with a soft push upward on the driver side hand grip. Later, the noise never came back. The 3RX had the best hand grips in my opinion. The noise I am facing now is different for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-03-18, 10:42 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I will keep you and everyone posted with the fix for my car. Hopefully it will be a full fix. Car is still in the shop...
I have the car back from the dealership for a few days now. The noise was mostly fixed, but I will need to drive the car some more to verify. It was some headliner material ruffling against some part of the roof (I don't know where exactly) according to the service adviser. The ticking noise improved in 2 ways: 1- it happens much less frequently (so far), but I still could hear the same rhythm as before when it happens, and 2- the volume is less loud. Hope this give some hint to folks with noise issues. Cheers