RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 12:50 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Whether you call it dynamic radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control, it is a standard equipment on the 4th gen RX. I've used it many times on the freeway, and it usually works pretty well. My question to everyone is: when the car ahead of you is going around 60+ MPH, and brakes and comes to a fairly quick stop, do you trust the RX to brake and stop for you?

I have always intervened, and braked on my own. Does anyone have experience in this kind of situation, and let the car do its thing?
Old 02-16-18, 01:03 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

i too will always manually brake if i see traffic coming to a fast stop. normal stop & go i let it do its thing; tho sometimes it takes off far too slowly.
Old 02-16-18, 01:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Never fully trust the adaptive cruise control. On two occasions with clean sensors and normal operating conditions, the adaptive cruise control failed to recognize a large cruiser motorcycle and a toyota truck in front of me. My car accelerated towards each car and would've rammed them if I didn't intervene. It is clear that they were not detected because the following distance was too small and the monitor did not show the car symbol in front of the cruise distance.
Old 02-16-18, 01:36 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nextcar
...... do you trust the RX to brake and stop for you?
That's really not the intent of the radar cruise, it is not auto pilot,
manual:
"Even when the system is functioning normally, the condition of the preceding vehicle as
detected by the system may differ from the condition observed by the driver. Therefore,
the driver must always remain alert, assess the danger of each situation and drive
safely. Relying on this system or assuming the system ensures safety while driving can
lead to an accident, resulting in death or serious injury."
Old 02-16-18, 02:21 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

It's not a matter of trust... Such a term shouldn't be associated with these types of systems. It's simply a matter of understanding the technology, understanding its implementation, and being aware of its functions as well as limitations and adjusting your expectations accordingly.

That said, to answer the question at hand, yes, I've let the system brake from highway speeds to a stop on it's own under the parameters it was designed to do so in. For fairly hard stops, my human instincts tend to kick in and I go for the brake without regard for whether or not the system is going to do its job or not. On the other hand, there have been times it's beaten me to the punch and applied hard braking before my foot could even get to the pedal.
The following users liked this post:
testerab62 (07-13-23)
Old 02-16-18, 03:22 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
It's not a matter of trust... Such a term shouldn't be associated with these types of systems. It's simply a matter of understanding the technology, understanding its implementation, and being aware of its functions as well as limitations and adjusting your expectations accordingly.

That said, to answer the question at hand, yes, I've let the system brake from highway speeds to a stop on it's own under the parameters it was designed to do so in. For fairly hard stops, my human instincts tend to kick in and I go for the brake without regard for whether or not the system is going to do its job or not. On the other hand, there have been times it's beaten me to the punch and applied hard braking before my foot could even get to the pedal.
It's good to hear that the car can quickly respond and brake before you can.
The Lexus hardware is not all that different from Tesla's. They both use camera and radar. Tesla's software is more ambitious and capable.
Old 02-16-18, 10:01 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

If I keep using the distance signal to 2 bars I trust it very well. However, with 1 bar it's quite nerve wrecking since the vehicle will do abrupt braking. And yes, it will stop and keep the set distance. Note, the radar computes both speeds, car in front and own speed to keep the distance and yes, 1 bar is actually about 2 car lengths and quite close especially when travelling at 60+ MPH.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (08-24-19)
Old 02-17-18, 04:33 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
If I keep using the distance signal to 2 bars I trust it very well. However, with 1 bar it's quite nerve wrecking since the vehicle will do abrupt braking. And yes, it will stop and keep the set distance. Note, the radar computes both speeds, car in front and own speed to keep the distance and yes, 1 bar is actually about 2 car lengths and quite close especially when travelling at 60+ MPH.
come drive in minneapolis with 3 or 2 bars on the highway. you'll feel like your going backwards with how many people will cut in front of you in that gap. lol
i use 1 usually, more on the open road
Old 02-17-18, 11:27 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
come drive in minneapolis with 3 or 2 bars on the highway. you'll feel like your going backwards with how many people will cut in front of you in that gap. lol
i use 1 usually, more on the open road
Exactly the same here in northern CA and worse, much worse in southern CA.
Old 02-17-18, 09:21 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't live in those states. And yes,I've lived in SoCal and they do drive like it is a rat race until they get to work and then it's all about waiting!
Old 02-20-18, 05:38 PM
Rglaz
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default use the brakes

As mentioned it is NOT auto pilot. Once it starts to brake from some knucklehead cutting infront of me, I am on top of the brake pedal. I travel in DC , NYC and Boston traffic.It doesnt get worse than that other than S Cal. On the open road outside the city it is most useful for those Long distance cruises. I set it at 3 bars all the time or flip to manual because the traffic is too heavy !
Old 02-21-18, 10:30 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rglaz
As mentioned it is NOT auto pilot. Once it starts to brake from some knucklehead cutting infront of me, I am on top of the brake pedal. I travel in DC , NYC and Boston traffic.It doesnt get worse than that other than S Cal. On the open road outside the city it is most useful for those Long distance cruises. I set it at 3 bars all the time or flip to manual because the traffic is too heavy !
If traffic is heavy (moving at 1->10MPH), I found the dynamic cruise quite useful when the setting is 1 bar. As someone has mentioned, if someone cut in front of you suddenly, then the car can brake harder than you would which is not pleasant, but otherwise, it is quite relaxing to know that you won't rear end the car in front of you and the concern of rear-ending someone is the one thing that tire me out in heavy traffic
Old 02-23-18, 12:17 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use it all the time but trust to a point. I always monitor and if the system says brake I always manually press pedal, never allow car to do it. I also turn it off if there is a close merge in front of me and brake on my own. I personally feel people don’t like to drive behind auto cruisers, and that alone sometimes creates dangerous situations on the road when my RX will brake a little too much a few times and then the car behind me decides to do an unsafe pass to quickly get around me because they get annoyed.
Old 02-23-18, 07:43 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird
I use it all the time but trust to a point. I always monitor and if the system says brake I always manually press pedal, never allow car to do it. I also turn it off if there is a close merge in front of me and brake on my own. I personally feel people don’t like to drive behind auto cruisers, and that alone sometimes creates dangerous situations on the road when my RX will brake a little too much a few times and then the car behind me decides to do an unsafe pass to quickly get around me because they get annoyed.
That's exactly what I've found, so I don't use it in traffic.
Old 02-23-18, 03:41 PM
TXRX350
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the function last week driving to Austin from San Antonio. I kept it 3 bars and stayed alert by having my right foot ready to apply the break during heavy traffic. And I found that it did the auto adjusting in the stop-and-go traffic really well. It was my first time using the function since I just bought my new RX 350 about a month ago.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?