RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Replacing wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 07:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Here you go:

Give this a shot: Sit into your car, push twice car start/stop button do not depress brakes (this way you will not start up your car), turn on your rear wiper blades in intermittent mode, as soon as your wiper in vertical position press car start/stop button one more time, wiper will freeze at the same location, the you can easily remove it. Do not start your car while blade is not in place, otherwise you might scratch the window. I hope this helps you! Brock Frady

This is from the comments section of a video by Brock Frady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFF7sqPH_rU

P.S. I watched almost all of his videos on the RX before we purchased; he's very informative on said matters.
This worked like a charm - it’s close quarters & you must be gentle to to avoid breaking something. Thank you!
Old 09-09-18, 06:41 AM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2017 "factory" wiper blades

i ordered factory wiper blades from a lexus dealer on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/i/232644655589?chn=ps

when i went to install them they look different than the original installed units (see attached pic)

does anybody know where i can get the ones that match the actual factory. i prefer that look over these that look like

regular wipers with covers on them.

thanks!
Old 09-09-18, 10:06 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

u brought the wrong ones
Old 11-16-18, 10:28 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I just bought a set of winter blades - after a six hour trip home to go 20 miles in the east coast storm last night, I realized the OEM blades were shot anyway. What a night I bought Tricos - they've always been good quality based on my experience.
Old 02-17-19, 01:28 PM
FLM99
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wiper service position

I want to replace my wiper blades ('17 RX) and followed the owner's manual instructions to move the wipers to the 'service position' - i.e. move the wiper control to 'MIST' within 40 seconds of shutting the engine off. Doesn't work. Has anyone tried this successfully, or have another way to stop the blades in a position allowing blade replacement. For me, the blades always return to their normal park position, even if I turn off the ignition with the blades in the middle of a cycle. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Frank
Old 02-17-19, 01:39 PM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the car turned off, push ignition button to go to aux mode. Then hold the wiper blade control arm up inside the car for about 5 seconds. It will move them up and you can pull them forward from the windshield. This is also good to know for when it snows as well.

Here is a video...
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (02-22-19)
Old 02-17-19, 02:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM99
I want to replace my wiper blades ('17 RX) and followed the owner's manual instructions to move the wipers to the 'service position' - i.e. move the wiper control to 'MIST' within 40 seconds of shutting the engine off. Doesn't work. Has anyone tried this successfully, or have another way to stop the blades in a position allowing blade replacement. For me, the blades always return to their normal park position, even if I turn off the ignition with the blades in the middle of a cycle. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Frank
Worked for me when I changed them a few months ago.
Old 02-17-19, 07:35 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

I was changing the oil and had the hood open, then realized you can also pull the wipers out from under the hood.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexnewbi:
CharmCtyIS (02-22-19), ravenuer (02-18-19)
Old 02-18-19, 12:41 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

washed my RX FSport this morning......wipers go into service position when I turn off car, then raise wiper control to mist, hold until wipers move. (never have i used Aux position)
Old 02-21-19, 08:03 PM
alexsea
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a mistake with my previous Lexus by replacing the whole OEM blades with cheaper ones from Costco (~7$/blade) and throwing out the OEM blades. The cheap ones, well, they are cheap and wearing out quicker than OEM. Also, non-OEM blades don’t have the same aerodynamic and at 60 mph in rain they started to make noises and didn’t clean properly. On top of it non-oem lock mechanism was a pain to install and it felt like it wasn’t secured properly. I ended up buying OEM blades again (~$60).

I can always find OEM Lexus wiper refills at Toyota Service where I have serviced 3 different Lexus models over the last 5 years. The OEM refills cost about $12/piece and in my opinion totally worth it. I was also ordering them online by searching for Lexus oem parts.
ravenuer (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 06:18 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Check these silicone wipers out - I haven’t purchased these yet, but I will be soon. I’m curious if anyone has used these:
Old 02-22-19, 10:19 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM99
Frank
There's been many process, methods or ways discussed on how to place the wipers in service position. The short video presented is actually accurate but needs a little explanation. Here's the step taken in the video with a little explanation: Starting with car engine in off position.
1. Without stepping on the brake pedal, push the start button - this places the unit in Aux position, i.e. Nav screen will come on and sound system will play.
2. Following step one, push the start button again - this turns on the ignition system without starting the engine (engine still in stop, dash board lights, i.e. alerts, alarms come on)
3. The next two steps require that you understand the position of the wiper control arm or stalk.
- Reference for the stalk is the steering column with the following actions explained.
-Push up - means you will push the stalk perpendicular to the steering column, almost like in the direction of the dash or windshield.
-Pull up - means you will pull the stalk parallel to the steering column, almost like in the direction of the steering wheel.
- Push down - means opposite of push up
- Pull down - means opposite of pull up
4. Following step two, push the start button again to turn off the system. As soon as all light on the dash are off, PUSH UP and hold on the wiper stalk until the wiper blades move in the service position (3-5 secs), let go of the wiper stalk.
5. To restore the wipers in their normal off position (make sure wipers are resting on the windshield and not pull out), repeat steps 1 and 2 to place the system in Ignition ON. While in Ignition ON, PULL UP the wiper stalk for a second and let go and you will have mist and the wipers will go back to their normal resting position. if you don't want the mist, you can also Push Up for a second and let go like you did when you placed it in service position and it will wipe and go back to their normal resting position as soon as you let go of the stalk.
6. Push the start button again to turn off the system.

Last edited by Jiggz858; 02-22-19 at 10:23 PM.
danais7 (02-23-19)
Old 02-23-19, 11:32 PM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Check these silicone wipers out - I haven’t purchased these yet, but I will be soon. I’m curious if anyone has used these: https://youtu.be/1UvyjrUcSiQ
I’ve been using them on my 2016 and 2018 and they work great. 2016 RXs had a problem with the driver side OEM wiper making noises (search for the wiper issue thread). My 2018 OEM wipers were better but still Lexus didn’t fix the noise issues 100% so I’ve been using the PIAA Si-Tech ones ever since the 4th gen.
gadgetman1 (02-24-19)
Old 02-25-19, 05:36 AM
LexusWest
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by javapro
I’ve been using them on my 2016 and 2018 and they work great. 2016 RXs had a problem with the driver side OEM wiper making noises (search for the wiper issue thread). My 2018 OEM wipers were better but still Lexus didn’t fix the noise issues 100% so I’ve been using the PIAA Si-Tech ones ever since the 4th gen.
Javapro, what sizes/model did you purchase from PIAA? I am trying to find one that fits my 2018 RX. Thanks

Old 02-25-19, 08:56 AM
FLM99
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies, but you describe exactly what I was doing. I stopped by the dealer and had them try - it didn't work for them either until one of the techs got it to work. Said he really had to jam the lever up hard, but it works now. Seems I'm not quite as clueless as I was beginning to think.

Quick Reply: Replacing wiper blades?