How To Turn Off Auto-Braking And Warning When Parking? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How To Turn Off Auto-Braking And Warning When Parking?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-18, 04:54 PM   #1
kvtram
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: California
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question How To Turn Off Auto-Braking And Warning When Parking?

When parking in my garage, I have to park it really close to the stairs to give myself enough clearance to close the garage door. I have a few safety cones and a parking laser light to guide me into the same spot every time. My issue is that the RX will auto brake suddenly and start sounding alarms when I am inching forward to the sweet spot. This is working as designed, but can this be turn off by the ICS/park assist/RCTA or combination of?
kvtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 05:15 PM   #2
qvtruong
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtram View Post
When parking in my garage, I have to park it really close to the stairs to give myself enough clearance to close the garage door. I have a few safety cones and a parking laser light to guide me into the same spot every time. My issue is that the RX will auto brake suddenly and start sounding alarms when I am inching forward to the sweet spot. This is working as designed, but can this be turn off by the ICS/park assist/RCTA or combination of?
You can go to the settings and turn park assist off
qvtruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 05:31 PM   #3
kvtram
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: California
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qvtruong View Post
You can go to the settings and turn park assist off
Park assist is just for the buzzer sound and navi screen display? It doesn't actually control the auto-braking does it?
kvtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 05:53 PM   #4
qvtruong
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtram View Post
Park assist is just for the buzzer sound and navi screen display? It doesn't actually control the auto-braking does it?
I believe it controls those sonar parking sensor, so it will turn off the buzzer and auto-break. It will turn off the green cone indicator on the instrument panel. I dont think the navi display is park of park assist. You can try to turn park assist off and see if its still show up when backing up.
qvtruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:48 PM   #5
qvtruong
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtram View Post
Park assist is just for the buzzer sound and navi screen display? It doesn't actually control the auto-braking does it?
I just tried. Turning parking assist off still shows the navi screen and the buzzing sound.I guess turning off the ICS will disable the auto break.
qvtruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 10:53 PM   #6
computerwi
Lead Lap
 
computerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 583
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Do you have the brake hold feature on? If you're crawling so slow that you come to a stop, it will hold instead of inching forward. The pre-collision system (PCS) auto-braking does not engage below a certain speed.

You can adjust the parking sensor display and sound options under the vehicle settings in the navigation menu.
computerwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 07:52 AM   #7
chunktwo
Driver
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: md
Posts: 123
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

i have had the same issue as you.. i think short of disable the safety/parking sensor systems each time you park in your garage... you are SOL.

What i have learned to do is creep up VERY slowly.. i use a wood chuck on the ground to stop the car from going too far forward... rather than drive up to the wood chuck with any amount of speed.. i slowly creep up until the tire is stopped by the wood chuck.. (hope this made sense)

the auto-brake used to engage once every other day - but for the last month or two.. i have adjusted the way i pull in so the auto-brake isnt engaged and i stopped the same place every time because of the wood chuck.
chunktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 09:48 AM   #8
soholexus
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why don't you hang a small rubber ball or something like that from the ceiling instead of using safety cones?
soholexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 11:02 AM   #9
ravenuer
Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 100
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunktwo View Post
i have had the same issue as you.. i think short of disable the safety/parking sensor systems each time you park in your garage... you are SOL.

What i have learned to do is creep up VERY slowly.. i use a wood chuck on the ground to stop the car from going too far forward... rather than drive up to the wood chuck with any amount of speed.. i slowly creep up until the tire is stopped by the wood chuck.. (hope this made sense)

the auto-brake used to engage once every other day - but for the last month or two.. i have adjusted the way i pull in so the auto-brake isnt engaged and i stopped the same place every time because of the wood chuck.
I do the same as you, with a short piece of 2x4. Works great.
ravenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ravenuer For This Useful Post:
chunktwo (01-19-18)
Old 01-18-18, 11:56 AM   #10
fredw1
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
I do the same as you, with a short piece of 2x4. Works great.
Ditto. A 2 x 4 is perfect.
fredw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredw1 For This Useful Post:
chunktwo (01-19-18)
Old 01-18-18, 01:19 PM   #11
Jiggz858
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 116
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I use a 16" 4X4 with a tape marking to make sure it is properly positioned. And yes, I believe if you turn off the ICS the parking assists and braking will go away. Just make sure you turn it back on.
Jiggz858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 02:53 PM   #12
kvtram
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: California
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggz858 View Post
I use a 16" 4X4 with a tape marking to make sure it is properly positioned. And yes, I believe if you turn off the ICS the parking assists and braking will go away. Just make sure you turn it back on.
Will try turning the ICS off as it concurs with the manual but just double checking with folks experience here.
kvtram is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your OCD compulsions in parking lots . . . . Aron9000 Car Chat 20 01-26-18 03:36 AM
Issue * Check Parking System, Parking Brake Inoperable? jucytec GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) 16 08-03-17 01:27 PM
abs issue after wheel bearing replacement. svlexus LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 11 01-07-17 09:24 AM
My day time running lights aren't working Boomin GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) 8 11-08-16 02:32 AM
Parking strategy comotiger LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 73 11-03-16 09:38 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: