RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Custom Order Updates / Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 07:05 AM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom Order Updates / Tracking

New member here. I custom ordered a 2018 RX 450h. Does anyone know how often I can expect to get updates about the build / delivery?
Old 01-08-18, 08:42 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RR99
New member here. I custom ordered a 2018 RX 450h. Does anyone know how often I can expect to get updates about the build / delivery?
the dealership you ordered from will probably have the most accurate answer for you. have you tried contacting them for an update.

any info from these forums would be probably only be speculative.
Old 01-08-18, 09:39 AM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chunktwo
the dealership you ordered from will probably have the most accurate answer for you. have you tried contacting them for an update.

any info from these forums would be probably only be speculative.
I placed the order on Saturday and the dealer told me that he would have the spec sheet in a week or so. He was saying that he would be providing updates every other week during the wait. I was hoping to hear from others about their experience...
Old 01-08-18, 05:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

RR99, welcome to CL. There's a monthly cut-off date for dealers to submit special orders to Lexus. Then it's a few more weeks before the order is officially accepted. Only then is an order number generated including expected production date. At least that's been my experience on both of my 450hs. Total time from order to delivery was 4-5 months. Possibly your dealer will be able to locate a soon to be built RX with everything you want since it's early in production. Otherwise you might need to pack some patience. Hopefully not.
Old 01-08-18, 06:07 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Congratulations, what options did you select? Long model?
no love for the 17 at a great discount??
Old 01-08-18, 06:24 PM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
Congratulations, what options did you select? Long model?
no love for the 17 at a great discount??
I picked the base 450h in Atomic Silver with black interior. The only options I picked were the 20" wheels and heated seats. The 17s they had were in high fifties/low sixties and a discount of 10%-12% would have still priced them much higher...
Old 01-08-18, 06:25 PM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
RR99, welcome to CL. There's a monthly cut-off date for dealers to submit special orders to Lexus. Then it's a few more weeks before the order is officially accepted. Only then is an order number generated including expected production date. At least that's been my experience on both of my 450hs. Total time from order to delivery was 4-5 months. Possibly your dealer will be able to locate a soon to be built RX with everything you want since it's early in production. Otherwise you might need to pack some patience. Hopefully not.
Apparently, the order entry was open and they placed an order already. Hoping to get the car around April but will know once we get the order number...
Old 01-09-18, 10:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Apparently, the order entry was open and they placed an order already. Hoping to get the car around April but will know once we get the order number...
Sounds like you timed it right. IIRC the cut-off date is around the 20th of the month.
Old 03-28-18, 03:03 AM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

I heard from the dealer that the build has been scheduled. It is expected to be built in the middle of April and I should have it by the end of April. The dates so far:
Ordered - 1/6
Build Scheduled - 3/19
Date Built - TBD
Date Shipped - TBD
Delivered - TBD
The following users liked this post:
rsolomon (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 06:57 PM
rsolomon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard from the dealer that the build has been scheduled. It is expected to be built in the middle of April and I should have it by the end of April. The dates so far:
Ordered - 1/6
Build Scheduled - 3/19
Date Built - TBD
Date Shipped - TBD
Delivered - TBD
Thanks for the updates @RR99 - I am a month behind you, so will check in with my dealer if I haven't heard anything about a build schedule near the end of this month.
Old 04-02-18, 05:46 PM
NewToLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this makes me a little nervous. I placed my order about 3 weeks ago. The dealership told me that they were summitting the orders for the April builds and I should expect to get it no later than the end of May. In all that would mean that it took about 2 1/2 months. I really hope it doesn稚 take any longer than that, I知 already getting anxious lol
Old 04-02-18, 09:29 PM
rsolomon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewToLexi
Well this makes me a little nervous. I placed my order about 3 weeks ago. The dealership told me that they were summitting the orders for the April builds and I should expect to get it no later than the end of May.
I don't claim any real expertise here, but I understand the order acceptance cutoff dates are 19-20 of the month, so RR99 got his order in by the 19-January cutoff, mine by the 19-February cutoff and yours by the 19-March cutoff.... Maybe your dealer was able to modify an order already accepted by Lexus? From what little I could tell, an order accepted by 19-March would be expected by the end of June. To get end of May, I would have thought your order would need to be accepted by 19-February.

I wouldn't go crucify your dealer, but it might be interesting to see what checkpoints they can offer - mine had very little to give, which is frankly a bit disappointing compared to the Germans who have a whole evolving timeline that you can follow as your car progresses. IIRC, I should expect a VIN in late April and a car about 30 days after that. In contrast, a few years ago I placed a deposit & order with my Audi dealer on 23-December, got an official notification of the order placed on 6-January scheduling delivery in Germany in late May. By mid-end of February I had a committed build date (in early April) by the first week of April my car was built and waiting on me. I recall a lot more checkpoints than "Here's a VIN" and "Here's your car"....

Frankly though, I'm just happy to be able to custom order - back when I ordered the Audi all Lexus would say is "These are the packages your region orders, pick amongst them"
Old 04-03-18, 03:06 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToLexi
Well this makes me a little nervous. I placed my order about 3 weeks ago. The dealership told me that they were summitting the orders for the April builds and I should expect to get it no later than the end of May. In all that would mean that it took about 2 1/2 months. I really hope it doesn’t take any longer than that, I’m already getting anxious lol
I am with you and would be a long wait, but you can't be in a rush ordering a Lexus. They have systems in place to make it a very slow process. My colleague ordered an LS in 2016 and it was about 6 months. Had a specific color combination in mind, and she said she'd wait a year for it if had to. She is a patient type individual. When got the call from the dealer, she said "already here?". and took another month to go pick it up. They had to keep calling to remind her. Different strokes...
Old 04-04-18, 07:11 AM
NewToLexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rsolomon
I don't claim any real expertise here, but I understand the order acceptance cutoff dates are 19-20 of the month, so RR99 got his order in by the 19-January cutoff, mine by the 19-February cutoff and yours by the 19-March cutoff.... Maybe your dealer was able to modify an order already accepted by Lexus? From what little I could tell, an order accepted by 19-March would be expected by the end of June. To get end of May, I would have thought your order would need to be accepted by 19-February.

I wouldn't go crucify your dealer, but it might be interesting to see what checkpoints they can offer - mine had very little to give, which is frankly a bit disappointing compared to the Germans who have a whole evolving timeline that you can follow as your car progresses. IIRC, I should expect a VIN in late April and a car about 30 days after that. In contrast, a few years ago I placed a deposit & order with my Audi dealer on 23-December, got an official notification of the order placed on 6-January scheduling delivery in Germany in late May. By mid-end of February I had a committed build date (in early April) by the first week of April my car was built and waiting on me. I recall a lot more checkpoints than "Here's a VIN" and "Here's your car"....

Frankly though, I'm just happy to be able to custom order - back when I ordered the Audi all Lexus would say is "These are the packages your region orders, pick amongst them"
Well I知 going to be keeping my fingers crossed. I知 not really all that patient but needed to order because we were not able to locate a 450h f sport in white with red interior. I did just receive an email from the dealership stating that everything is on track with their estimated timeline, not really sure what that means except they are still planning on me receiving my car by end of May. They did tell me that they will be checking in with me every couple weeks and they will update me every time they hear something from Lexus. I知 going to remain optimistic and I値l keep you guys updated as well.
Old 04-04-18, 07:13 AM
NewToLexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kellens
I am with you and would be a long wait, but you can't be in a rush ordering a Lexus. They have systems in place to make it a very slow process. My colleague ordered an LS in 2016 and it was about 6 months. Had a specific color combination in mind, and she said she'd wait a year for it if had to. She is a patient type individual. When got the call from the dealer, she said "already here?". and took another month to go pick it up. They had to keep calling to remind her. Different strokes...
I知 not a fan of waiting but willing to do so for the exact car I want. With that said though, I知 definitely not as patient as your friend because there is no way I知 waiting a year, lol!

Quick Reply: Custom Order Updates / Tracking