RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Fuse help needed for dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 05:08 AM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuse help needed for dash cam

hi
from the UK.
i have a 4th gen rx450h f-sport with premier pack.

im going to be fitting a dashcam system next week and need some help from you guys.
i have read the illuminated door sill/dashcam threads but need a bit more info.

so I'm fitting a blackvue dr750 two camera system, with the optional park mode feature, so for this model I need a power source from the fuse board inside that is live ALL THE TIME, I know I can get the ignition switch power from piggy backing onto the P/OUTLET No.1 (10amp) fuse.

i thought about the interior clock source would be good as on all the time but I can't descipher the fuse board cover.
and there are no extra details in the car manual to help me any further, pages 654-655 it just shows you the locations only.

anyone got a full detail of what's what would be greatly appreciated.
hope your all managing OK with all the Snow over there, keep safe.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Fuse help needed for dash cam-image.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_2633.png   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_2634.png  
Old 01-07-18, 05:47 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just get yourself a automotive circuit tester, and if you are using power magic pro then you need to get two add a fuse. One for a permanent power and other for ACC.
Old 01-07-18, 06:00 AM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Thanks for reply
but the location of the inside fuse board is in a pain in the *** location, my back can't take using meter leads and probably shorting a fuse out trying to find the correct location, hence I'll wait for a more easy solution :-)
I will be using as you suggested TWO fuse taps one is Switched (I know the location) and the other a permanent LIVE which I want help identifying as per my original question, someone will know I'm sure.
cheers
Old 01-09-18, 07:32 AM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I installed mine for the constant power I used the hazard light fuse and for the ignition power, I believe that I used the rear windshield wiper (Wiper RR) fuse (Your fuse locations are different than the American fuse locations and I don't have a picture of the fuse diagram), for ignition power you can also use the Power Outlet No.1 fuse since the owlets shut off when the ignition is turned off. The reason I used these two locations is if the the tapped circuit fuse would blow, you will lose a circuit that’s not going to affect the basic operation of the vehicle until you get home to replace the blown fuse. These are the fuse taps that I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074766637/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"><span style=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074766637/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" /> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074766637/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074766637/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The reason I use these style fuse taps is because for the circuit that you are tapping into you, can still use the original fuse for that specific circuit (ex. Wiper RR is a 15 amp fuse). If I recall correctly, the fuse location on the tap closer to the fuse panel is for the circuit you are tapping into.

Last edited by Supranut; 01-09-18 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
Milkshaker (01-09-18)
Old 01-24-18, 10:38 PM
danzeit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I stumble upon this thread when Googling. I'm also looking at hardwiring by Blackvue DR750S using PMP on my RX450h.
I've tapped into power outlet fuse for ignition and hazard for constant power. However, whenever I turn off the car, the PMP will last a few moment then turns off.
When I turn the car engine on again. The PMP and dashcam will power up like normal.
I suspect this maybe because the battery is too low ie. two bars?

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 01-24-18, 11:42 PM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Hi Danzeit,
thats how I've wired mine up, with the parking mode working all through the night with no problems what so ever, so I'm thinking low battery also.or your cut of voltage settings are to high, mine is 12 volts
just installing a MI-FI in the car this weekend also.
cheers
Old 01-25-18, 04:00 AM
danzeit
Rookie

Thanks Milkshaker.

I think mine is set at 12.5V. Will change it to 12V. I've just done the install today. Will need to observe if the hybrid battery levels are related to the PMP being cut off.
Will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 01-28-18, 10:59 AM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Ok so an update,
finally fitted dashcam and mobile Wifi box into car this morning as the weather was dry enough in the UK for a couple of hours ONLY before the inevitable rain.

dashcam was all finished a couple of weeks ago but without a permanent Wi-FI hotspot I needed to fit a Mi-Fi/Wi-Fi unit so always connected so I can monitor the car anywhere on our travels around Europe.

i choose from Amazon a unit with a 20 hour battery life but the ability to charge on the go.
i used the power magic box from blackvue to tap into the live and ground for a permanent powered USB connection (12v to 5V converter) to the Mi-Fi Huawei E 5885 pro 2 box.

see one of photos (stuck onto back of power magic)
Can 100% recommend the blackvue 750 dashcam, the ease of connectivity and quality is excellent, at a cost.

Attached Thumbnails Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3512.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3516.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3517.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3518.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3520.jpg  

Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3522.jpg   Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_3523.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (01-28-18)
Old 01-28-18, 11:34 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Milkshaker, thanks for posting your installation. I'm hoping to install a DR900s-2CH 4K, when available, and your post is most helpful.
Old 01-29-18, 01:55 AM
danzeit
Rookie

Hi Milkshaker,

Thanks for the pics.
Unfortunately, my parking mode still isn't working even my hybrid battery is near full. Its short lived after a few seconds of turning the engine off.
Not sure if it's an issue with the fuse tap as there's power feeding to it even though it last for a few seconds?

Can I ask what ampere fuse when tapped on your hazard?
Also, I'm using the mini wire tap rather than the low-profile fuse. I don't believe this is the issue as its working when engine is on.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-18, 02:22 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Originally Posted by danzeit
Hi Milkshaker,

Thanks for the pics.
Unfortunately, my parking mode still isn't working even my hybrid battery is near full. Its short lived after a few seconds of turning the engine off.
Not sure if it's an issue with the fuse tap as there's power feeding to it even though it last for a few seconds?

Also, I'm using the mini wire tap rather than the low-profile fuse. I don't believe this is the issue as its working when engine is on.

Thanks.
Do you have switch ON on power magic pro? When "I" is push down it's on.
Old 01-29-18, 04:59 AM
danzeit
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomtom74
Yeap. It's switched to ON. Is there another fuse I can tap to?
Old 01-29-18, 06:05 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Yeap. It's switched to ON. Is there another fuse I can tap to?
That's the case, sound like ACC is on right fuse but permanent power might be on the ACC also. I can't remember which one I used for permanent power, but I used circuit tester.
And also, I'm sure you did right, but did you double checked setting?
1-off
2-on
3-on
4-on
5-on
Old 01-29-18, 07:51 AM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Hi Milkshaker,

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks.

hi
i used these fuse taps with a 5 amp fuse only for the blackvue, 10amp for hazard as set by Lexus.
i think you need to use the correct fuse tap profile as you may end up with connection issues.

check where the car was located today over the Cloud, wife was at the Vets with the Dog :-))
Attached Thumbnails Fuse help needed for dash cam-img_2657.jpg  
Old 01-29-18, 07:59 AM
Milkshaker
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tomtom74
there is No on/off power switch as such, just plug in the cigar plug into the socket and tap the yellow wire to the hazard fuse and the red wire (I used) the power outlet fuse, then secure the ground to the chassis of the car and its powered for ever.
i added the USB connection for my Mi-Fi box also attached to the magic power box to save drain on battery. Running a treat all through night, cameras still powered and Mi-Fi box powered still over the Cloud 👍🏻
Good luck

Quick Reply: Fuse help needed for dash cam