RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Snow is not very kind to the RX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 06:04 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Snow is not very kind to the RX

So I drove to/from Philly on Saturday from the Reading, PA area. It was snowing and the roads were pretty clear, but the weather was really crappy. So I get about 1/3 way to Philly and I hear a beep and the cruse shuts down. I get a message on the dash saying cruise is unavailable. I assumed the radar mus have been cluttered up with snow. No biggie, just drive the old fashioned way. Then about 20 minutes later, I get a message that the forward camera is not functioning and then the lane-keep assist turns off and it says it's no longer available. The a few minutes later, I get another bong and now the pre-collision system shuts down. I'm like, WTF, all these advanced safety features and now their dead due to snow when one would possible need it most?? I'm not sure why the camera shut down. It looks like the wipers clean the area in front of it. I get to Philly and the radar L emblem is caked with icy snow. I clean it and go get my daughter at the airport. On the way home same crap happened again. Lexus should have put some heaters or something on these sensors to prevent this. By the way, the F-sport grill was a solid sheet of icy snow. Really not the greatest performance in the snow.
Old 12-11-17, 06:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Not sure if I would be using cruise control with the weather bad.

I do not see Lexus heating the emblem. The RX did the right thing and shut the effected systems down.

Glad I live in FL!
Old 12-11-17, 07:00 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happens with my wife's Outback with eyesight. Those systems do not work if they can't see I guess.
Old 12-11-17, 07:00 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Every car I owned with advanced tech would shut down when sensors are blocked with debris, it's a good thing. Why would you place your life in hands of tech that can't see? Driving old fashion way during adverse weather is the best and only choice.

Are you running snow tires?
Old 12-11-17, 07:29 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get the alert "please clear parking sensor" when driving in the snow for 10 minutes.
Old 12-11-17, 07:48 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The GX460 is MUCH better suited for driving in snow and bad weather.
The parking/proximity sensors can be obstructed by snow and slush on the bumpers. You can simply turn them off while/when the weather is bad.
Old 12-11-17, 07:55 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

That’s working the way it supposed to, just like other cars with these advanced systems. Imagine if pre-collision started detecting the snow and just applied the brakes during a storm...that would be a disaster.
Old 12-11-17, 08:03 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I never had that alert when driving in snowing conditions, but I did because of the accumulation of the road salt. Usually when I see such accumulation, I use clean snow to clean them up before leaving.

It accumulates when the snow removal is complete and they put salt on the roads to finish the job. The rest of the snow becomes water full with desolved salt and vehicles in front of us throws water drops in the air and ends-up drying on the bumper.
Old 12-11-17, 08:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
So I drove to/from Philly on Saturday from the Reading, PA area. It was snowing and the roads were pretty clear, but the weather was really crappy. So I get about 1/3 way to Philly and I hear a beep and the cruse shuts down. I get a message on the dash saying cruise is unavailable. I assumed the radar mus have been cluttered up with snow. No biggie, just drive the old fashioned way. Then about 20 minutes later, I get a message that the forward camera is not functioning and then the lane-keep assist turns off and it says it's no longer available. The a few minutes later, I get another bong and now the pre-collision system shuts down. I'm like, WTF, all these advanced safety features and now their dead due to snow when one would possible need it most?? I'm not sure why the camera shut down. It looks like the wipers clean the area in front of it. I get to Philly and the radar L emblem is caked with icy snow. I clean it and go get my daughter at the airport. On the way home same crap happened again. Lexus should have put some heaters or something on these sensors to prevent this. By the way, the F-sport grill was a solid sheet of icy snow. Really not the greatest performance in the snow.
I had the same exact experience driving from northern NJ to Lancaster on Saturday. You can still use cruise but without the radar feature. Hold in the cruise button for an extra second or so and you can set it the conventional way. I found the RX performed quite well in that snow other than the issue with the sensors. Let's face it - to heat those adds another layer of complexity and cost to an already complex and expensive car. I stopped at WAWA for a sandwich - cleared the entire grill which was also covered with a sheet of snow and ice as you indicated and then I was on my way.
Old 12-11-17, 09:16 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

If all of these systems shut down when the cameras and sensors are covered with snow/ ice, how are the autonomous cars of the future supposed to operate in similar conditions?
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (12-19-17)
Old 12-11-17, 09:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx
If all of these systems shut down when the cameras and sensors are covered with snow/ ice, how are the autonomous cars of the future supposed to operate in similar conditions?
I would assume that fully autonomous vehicles would have heaters keeping the sensors clear.

Not looking forward to that day.
Old 12-11-17, 09:50 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please, please don't drive with cruise control in snow, ice or rainy conditions! I value your life... Chalk it up to your car saving you from potential disaster.
The following users liked this post:
PeeVee (12-11-17)
Old 12-11-17, 10:30 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Please, please don't drive with cruise control in snow, ice or rainy conditions! I value your life... Chalk it up to your car saving you from potential disaster.

Totally agree!!!
Old 12-11-17, 10:34 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

who the heck uses cruise control is the snow???
Old 12-11-17, 10:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
who the heck uses cruise control is the snow???
The warning comes on even if you're NOT using cruise at the time.

Quick Reply: Snow is not very kind to the RX