RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Snow is not very kind to the RX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 12:29 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx
If all of these systems shut down when the cameras and sensors are covered with snow/ ice, how are the autonomous cars of the future supposed to operate in similar conditions?
Make sure that your dogs are fed and that the sleigh is in god conditions!
Old 12-11-17, 06:56 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by skiracer
who the heck uses cruise control is the snow???
Don't worry, I'm sure there's some that do....
Old 12-12-17, 05:38 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Please, please don't drive with cruise control in snow, ice or rainy conditions! I value your life... Chalk it up to your car saving you from potential disaster.
Thanks, Mom, I'll do just fine. It wasn't a snow covered road, just slush and falling snow.
Old 12-12-17, 05:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Thanks, Mom, I'll do just fine. It wasn't a snow covered road, just slush and falling snow.
I'm with you - I used it Saturday - roads were just wet even though it was snowing.
Old 12-18-17, 07:48 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

JR: What you describe is not unique to Lexus/Toyota. If the sensors on ALL makes of cars are obstructed, then they will not function properly - Just as you can't see properly if your glasses are dirty.
Also, as a matter of fact, a number of new Toyota/Lexus models automatically disconnect Cruise Control when road conditions are bad.
Old 12-18-17, 12:21 PM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kroorda
JR: What you describe is not unique to Lexus/Toyota. If the sensors on ALL makes of cars are obstructed, then they will not function properly - Just as you can't see properly if your glasses are dirty.
Also, as a matter of fact, a number of new Toyota/Lexus models automatically disconnect Cruise Control when road conditions are bad.
Well seems to me they could heat the radar sensor in the grill. It was caked with ice. A little heat from the engine or a simple coil like in the mirrors would suffice. As for the camera which is up in front of the rearview mirror, it looks like the wipers wipe in front of it, but that doesn't seem to be good enough to keep it from shutting down, As for cruise turning off, um it did that. I hear there's a way to override it, but I didn't know.
Old 12-18-17, 01:40 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Snow and my RX350 AWD play well together here in Michigan.
Old 12-18-17, 04:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kroorda
Only the radar option becomes disabled if the sensors can't function. You can still use cruise the conventional way.
Old 12-19-17, 04:49 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

guess i'll find out myself about this.
Snow on the way 4-8" in minneapolis and probably get the call to pick up the new ride in the middle of the snow mess.
17 450 awd

false alarm on the snow, way to go forecasters. lol
great news is at 12pm today, my wait is over

Last edited by JSracer; 12-20-17 at 03:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (12-20-17)
Old 12-19-17, 06:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
guess i'll find out myself about this.
Snow on the way 4-8" in minneapolis and probably get the call to pick up the new ride in the middle of the snow mess.
17 450 awd
I think in most cases, there wouldn't be an issue with the sensors getting covered. The snow discussed in this thread was a wet sort of heavy snow that caked up all over the front end/grill and literally covered everything in a solid sheet of frozen gunk. Unusual.
Old 12-19-17, 01:15 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Might a coating of Rain-X help with these sensors and cameras?
ravenuer (12-19-17)
Old 12-20-17, 05:44 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer
Might a coating of Rain-X help with these sensors and cameras?
It might help with the camera, but when I got to the airport and looked the glass in front of the camera appeared clean. As for the radar sensor? No way it would help. Because the bezel of the L emblem is so raised, it just collects in side and can't get out.
Old 12-23-17, 12:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Heck, I thought they used so much salt and brine that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-23-17, 08:08 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
It might help with the camera, but when I got to the airport and looked the glass in front of the camera appeared clean. As for the radar sensor? No way it would help. Because the bezel of the L emblem is so raised, it just collects in side and can't get out.
I live in South Texas where we get snow and ice about once every 2-3 years. My car was at the dealer for service so I had a brand new 2018 ES loaner when we got one of these “blue moon” snows a couple weeks ago. I met a buddy for dinner and the snow started coming down while I was inside the restaurant eating. As soon as I get in the car and begin driving I got an automatic message on the dash advising me to be cautious on the slick roads...I was very impressed it knew to tell me that...but how did it know? I hadn’t even reached the parking lot exit and the car knew more about road conditions than I did. Maybe it analyzed the ambient temperature and the moisture from the rain sensing wiper blade system, or maybe it used XM Sirius weather or the HD radio metadata source...who knows. Either way, I’m glad the car told provided me the warning. I have a feeling Lexus and other car manufacturers shut down the “autonomous” driving features because they all frankly know that none of these systems are ready for true critical situations just yet. They’re great features and make us feel good that our cars are somewhat “intelligent”. But watch any video review of a car’s autonomous/safety features in the last year and almost all of them will tell you they’re ok, but not great. These manufacturers know that the good ‘ole human brain is much better at making critical decisions, although cars may have the upper hand in a few years.
ravenuer (12-24-17)
Old 12-24-17, 09:21 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by texaslocal
I live in South Texas where we get snow and ice about once every 2-3 years. My car was at the dealer for service so I had a brand new 2018 ES loaner when we got one of these “blue moon” snows a couple weeks ago. I met a buddy for dinner and the snow started coming down while I was inside the restaurant eating. As soon as I get in the car and begin driving I got an automatic message on the dash advising me to be cautious on the slick roads...I was very impressed it knew to tell me that...but how did it know? I hadn’t even reached the parking lot exit and the car knew more about road conditions than I did. Maybe it analyzed the ambient temperature and the moisture from the rain sensing wiper blade system, or maybe it used XM Sirius weather or the HD radio metadata source...who knows. Either way, I’m glad the car told provided me the warning. I have a feeling Lexus and other car manufacturers shut down the “autonomous” driving features because they all frankly know that none of these systems are ready for true critical situations just yet. They’re great features and make us feel good that our cars are somewhat “intelligent”. But watch any video review of a car’s autonomous/safety features in the last year and almost all of them will tell you they’re ok, but not great. These manufacturers know that the good ‘ole human brain is much better at making critical decisions, although cars may have the upper hand in a few years.
did the warning just say "roads may be icy"?

Quick Reply: Snow is not very kind to the RX