RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Sport vs Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 10:28 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Sport vs Sport+

Sport+ is much better than I thought it would be. I don't spend much time in it, but I use it on almost every ride. I find I rarely go into sport mode and go directly into sport+, therefore I would like to know:
When and why do f-sport drivers use sport mode?
Are there any differences between sport and sport+, other than firming up the suspension?
Should Lexus have only use 3 modes by just adding a + to sport?
Is the steering wheel firmer in sport+ than sport?
It could be that some folks like to drive in sport mode but don't want the firmer suspension, I never thought about that until just now.
I am asking solely out of curiosity, no other reason, all comments are welcome.
Old 12-10-17, 05:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I drive my GS in sport 90% of the time and occasionally sport+. The firmer suspension in sport+ can make for a jarring ride over bad stretches of roads and the tightened up steering ratio can be a bit twitchy at highway speeds. Sport gives a great balance as only the engine and transmission logics are altered.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 07:11 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If not for the F-Sport seats, which I didn't like, I would have got F-Sport model instead of Executive model on my 2017 RX 350. I agree with OP that Sport+, during my test drive, gave a better feedback. Hence it was fun to drive compared to Normal or Eco mode.
For your questions.....
When and why do f-sport drivers use sport mode? Almost every time except on long 1/2 hour trips. I don't like too much feedback. I only have Sport mode no Sport+.
Are there any differences between sport and sport+, other than firming up the suspension? Yes, the feedback from the steering also firm. The throttle response is bit faster.
Should Lexus have only use 3 modes by just adding a + to sport? NOOoooooo.... They should have offered the Sport+ mode in Executive/Luxury package for people like me. I don't like the Sport seats on F-Sport models.
Is the steering wheel firmer in sport+ than sport? Not a lot, but a tiny bit. The major difference is throttle mapping in Sport+ according to dealer.

Last edited by mssca; 12-10-17 at 07:15 AM.
Nail34 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 09:03 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

As I implied before, I don't drive in sport mode, however where I live most roads are curvy or have curves in them and I switch to sport+ for stability in the turn especially when my dog is in the back. I can't tell you haw many times I've switched from sport to sport+ while in a turn and I can't tell the difference in the feel of the steering wheel. Also, when accelerating in town they both feel the same.
Old 12-10-17, 10:20 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Isn't sport plus configurable for options.?
Thought i recall something like it being user adjustable and programmable settings , suspension, steering, throttle?

The lower seat cushions, inner wings didn't work for my wife and i so we went 450 lux instead, but would have enjoyed the f suspension.
Sorry i can't be more help, still waiting for my rx, should be here this week!!

Last edited by JSracer; 12-10-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-10-17, 10:20 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus promotional materials on all F-Sport versions on every model they mentioned that F-Sport with Sport+ has what they called Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). It supposed to be "sporty". May be it is making the ride smoother under certain conditions.

I feel the acceleration changes when I switch my 2017 RX Executive version from Eco to Normal to Sport. In fact the Eco mode take a long time to response and I have to depress the gas paddle much lower to get it to go to same speed as when I am in Sport mode. On roads with lots of hills like Canadian Rockies region, I usually use Sport mode because the acceleration lag become quite obvious when driving uphill. Normal and Eco mode may be good for the engine because I noticed that under those modes, the engine won't rev past 2500 rpm as opposed to in Sport mode I noticed it can rev to 3000 to 4000 rpm before the gear changed to the next one. (under same driving conditions/road conditions/etc)This is my personal experience.
Old 12-10-17, 11:29 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like the regular sport mode and have no real use for it. I sometimes Sport + but I like to save gas so I have mine set to a custom mode where the steering and active dampers are active but the throttle is in normal mode, and I activate it just by pressing down once on the button. As for the active dampers and tighter steering, it's a bit artificial but I like to use it because it seems safer in case of emergency maneuvers. I always switch it on when I head out onto the freeways just in case. Last month a pickup truck in the next lane hit a bump on the freeway and an old tire flew out from it's bed and right across me and I had to swerve to dodge... I was in normal mode.. not fun at all because I had to turn the steering wheel very abruptly to avoid it. After that incident anytime I go on the freeway i switch it into custom mode to turn on the active dampers and steering. I think if I had it on at the time of the incident it would have been less scary and just overall safer because the car would have reacted quicker and flatter.
Nonfat (01-21-23)
Old 12-10-17, 12:31 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

According to a matrix I downloaded,
S only affects POWERTRAIN. Suspension normal, Steering normal, Air Conditioning normal.
S+ affects POWERTRAIN, SUSPENSION, POWER STEERING, Air Conditioning normal.
ECO powertrain and Air Conditioning go into ECO mode. Suspension and Steering normal.
I think most users understand this now.

Customize allows user to pick their combo.
mssca (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 12:47 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I don't like the regular sport mode and have no real use for it. I sometimes Sport + but I like to save gas so I have mine set to a custom mode where the steering and active dampers are active but the throttle is in normal mode, and I activate it just by pressing down once on the button. As for the active dampers and tighter steering, it's a bit artificial but I like to use it because it seems safer in case of emergency maneuvers. I always switch it on when I head out onto the freeways just in case. Last month a pickup truck in the next lane hit a bump on the freeway and an old tire flew out from it's bed and right across me and I had to swerve to dodge... I was in normal mode.. not fun at all because I had to turn the steering wheel very abruptly to avoid it. After that incident anytime I go on the freeway i switch it into custom mode to turn on the active dampers and steering. I think if I had it on at the time of the incident it would have been less scary and just overall safer because the car would have reacted quicker and flatter.
The AVS is always active, no matter the mode it's in. Sport+ just tightens it up to a higher ratio.
Originally Posted by kent2174
S only affects POWERTRAIN. Suspension normal, Steering normal, Air Conditioning normal.
ECO powertrain and Air Conditioning go into ECO mode. Suspension and Steering normal.

Correct!
Old 12-10-17, 01:05 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
The AVS is always active, no matter the mode it's in. Sport+ just tightens it up to a higher ratio.
Good to know. Besides overall tightness do you know if the AVS when in Sport+ actively tries to keep the car flatter by balancing the firmness in each damper depending on situation? Like if it detects roll it firms up one side more than the other.
Old 12-10-17, 03:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Good to know. Besides overall tightness do you know if the AVS when in Sport+ actively tries to keep the car flatter by balancing the firmness in each damper depending on situation? Like if it detects roll it firms up one side more than the other.
I don't believe so. The damper controls vertical movement at each wheel rather than actively controlling roll. I think the less roll you're experiencing in sport + is a byproduct of the stiffer dampening overall rather than direct control of the car wallowing and rolling.
Nail34 (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 05:16 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kent2174

The steering in sport mode is much firmer than D or E mode and as I said, I can't tell the difference between sport and sport+ as to steering. At least, that's how if feels to me.
Old 12-10-17, 06:11 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I love getting in my car and pressing the customize button. I just push down on the giant rolling circle.

I have it on regular acceleration and sport+ suspension. You can do whatever you want if you want a quicker way to get to sport+ without having to switch the dials twice.

I can tell when it's on sport+ for sure. Try turning on a left light with regular and sport. You should feel that the sport+ feels firmer to the ground with less body sway.

It's small but it helps. I like the touchy acceleration of sport from time to time but not always.
Old 12-11-17, 08:23 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mssca
Lexus promotional materials on all F-Sport versions on every model they mentioned that F-Sport with Sport+ has what they called Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). It supposed to be "sporty". May be it is making the ride smoother under certain conditions.

I feel the acceleration changes when I switch my 2017 RX Executive version from Eco to Normal to Sport. In fact the Eco mode take a long time to response and I have to depress the gas paddle much lower to get it to go to same speed as when I am in Sport mode. On roads with lots of hills like Canadian Rockies region, I usually use Sport mode because the acceleration lag become quite obvious when driving uphill. Normal and Eco mode may be good for the engine because I noticed that under those modes, the engine won't rev past 2500 rpm as opposed to in Sport mode I noticed it can rev to 3000 to 4000 rpm before the gear changed to the next one. (under same driving conditions/road conditions/etc)This is my personal experience.
Just the opposite. When going up a hill the transmission is slow to downshift in normal or eco mode thus lugging the engine which is worse than going to 4k rpms in sport mode. This 10 speed transmission lugs even going up a modest incline and the only way to avoid lugging is to step on the gas or drive in M mode and shift as necessary like you would do in a stick shift car. Stepping on the gas is only a short term cure, I usually use M mode.
Old 12-13-17, 06:31 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive an M5 and my wife has the RX. I immediately switch to Sport + when I get in her car. Normal feels way too loose and slow. I have never even switched it over to Econ mode.

Quick Reply: Sport vs Sport+