RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 11:02 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
Nice! I definitely like the stealth look of that. My only minor gripe is that I wish the wires weren't exposed. JBL is a reputable brand (especially being owned by Harmon Kardon), and it's nice to see a simple self-powered sub with out the box and etc. Are you still able to collapse your rear seats? Keep us updated with the sound, especially after the subwoofer breaks in.

Hertz is also a great brand, especially their speakers. I remember when Hertz first entered the market, my audio guy wanted me to test out Hertz components with my JL sub. I was so impressed with the component speakers I kept them. Hertz is manufactured by the same Italian company that makes Audison.
Thanks for the advice on the Hertz. I'll definitely check them out when I start to replace the component speakers. Yeah I didn't like that the wires were exposed like that but they needed some room so I can still collapse those seats. I'll look at some kind of wrap so it looks a little neater.
Old 01-15-18, 01:56 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by elimmigran
My boi is doing a TOL Hertz sub in place of the factory 8", a Hertz amp and sound proofing the doors next week. Along with that, time permitting, he's doing the Beatsonic bypass with ATV 4k mod. My guy is the best in the business in the OC and serves celeb/l33t clientele. I trust him more with my rides than I trust myself. He swears by this setup for stock appearance and ML complimentary sound.

Will post review once done.
sounds interesting, why the 4k atv, better hardware? Signal is down rez to composite does the vehicle have the ml option?
trying to decide what beatsonic kit myself. For sure I'll do the bypass
thanks
Old 01-16-18, 04:46 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My subs have arrived. He decided to go with a different brand. One goes in the stock "enhanced" location and the other on the opposite side in a stock "enhanced" enclosure.

4k ATV allows for mirroring. ML option. I think the stock screen resolution is only 720p.

I play my music loud...very loud so I don't expect the ML speakers to last very long and when they fail, we'll be doing a nice, subtle upgrade.

Last edited by elimmigran; 01-16-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 02:01 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks good. The rx av inputs are analog, yellow, red, white. The hdmi is converted to analog on the Beatsonic kit.
I ordered the screen mirroring setup myself yesterday. I'll work on the installation when it warms up a bit.

still looking for a good place to put my phone to see waze if not listening to phone audio.
Eagar to hear your thoughts on the sound upgrades. How much was the stock sub location modified?
Old 01-21-18, 09:31 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

A few pics. Doing a little, calculated sound deadening tomorrow.

The bass response with the new sub and amp is unbelievable! It sounds like a full blown custom system designed for excellent SQ. I’m not doing a second sub. Don’t need too. SO looking to picking her up tomorrow.

I’ll share more pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?-e8d3679e-a01c-4ccf-8fae-1497899482ea.jpeg   Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?-47284264-316b-448a-adfa-5c50b697b6fd.jpeg   Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?-cbeceab1-b877-48e3-baed-6b9d8322d7b3.jpeg   Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?-6d7829dd-ddf1-443d-9dcc-04e4f3c07520.jpeg  
The following 3 users liked this post by elimmigran:
CharmCtyIS (01-22-18), Hubs (01-22-18), JSracer (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 12:05 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few pics. Doing a little, calculated sound deadening tomorrow.

The bass response with the new sub and amp is unbelievable! It sounds like a full blown custom system designed for excellent SQ. I’m not doing a second sub. Don’t need too. SO looking to picking her up tomorrow.

I’ll share more pics tomorrow.
Good choice on amp. Keep us updated with how much dynomat you used for your setup. I would look into replacing your speakers soon rather than blowing them out. You may want to revert back to a stock setup before getting rid of your car.
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 12:41 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Good choice on amp. Keep us updated with how much dynomat you used for your setup. I would look into replacing your speakers soon rather than blowing them out. You may want to revert back to a stock setup before getting rid of your car.
Thanks.

Sound deadening was added to the interior side of the front doors only. There was no rattle, buzzing, etc. from the rear doors. Some sound deadening was added in the trunk too. I didn't want to add too much; just enough to improve the sound. I'll get some pics tonight.

I own the truck with plans to keep her for several years so I'm not concerned with selling. Will likely end up handing her off to my son with any customizations I make to it.

Edit: He also added it the doors "covers" themselves. The difference was very noticeable.

Last edited by elimmigran; 01-25-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 04:27 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to be able to add Focal speakers all around, but that would be a PITA since my car is a lease. I would have to change it out before turning it in though.

I will be adding my JL Audio HD1200/1 or 500/1 along with my TC Sounds 12" sub soon. This will definitely give the bass more power along with keeping the bass sounding tight.
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 05:53 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

I think I blew out the sub on my way home.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-23-18 at 02:50 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-23-18, 01:44 PM
minusplus
Rookie

I think I blew out the sub on my way home.
That sucks. Gotta give it time to break-in.
Old 01-23-18, 01:59 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

That sucks. Gotta give it time to break-in.
Fortunately, the amp he installed is overkill so I may just go with a glassed box in place of the ML sub enclosure and fit a monster 12" in there.

Last edited by elimmigran; 01-23-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 04:21 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

I have not taken my baby back to my audio guy for resolution but we're thinking that perhaps the ML plastic box blew. The sub may have been too much for the box and it cracked/blew.

Has anyone heard of an ML cracking or blowing after installing an aftermarket high-powered sub?
Old 01-27-18, 02:36 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For you guys that have installed your own subs where did you tap to get the signal, for your sub amp, at the rear sub or the amp? I have logged into the TIS got the document and it looks like a PITA to get to the sub assembly and the sub itself to tap the wires.
Old 01-29-18, 11:54 AM
minusplus
Rookie

I have not taken my baby back to my audio guy for resolution but we're thinking that perhaps the ML plastic box blew. The sub may have been too much for the box and it cracked/blew.

Has anyone heard of an ML cracking or blowing after installing an aftermarket high-powered sub?
Any updates on this? I would also wonder if the installers damaged the plastic box.
Old 01-29-18, 11:56 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Any updates on this? I would also wonder if the installers damaged the plastic box.
Not yet. Been busy with business travel but I'm going to the shop this Saturday to get it inspected and repaired. I'll report my findings then.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a powered subwoofer to a RX?