RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 RX models w/ Headlamp washers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 11:16 AM
Ricjames31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RX models w/ Headlamp washers

on the RXs with headlamp washers is there a way to deactivate this feature so it doesn't wash the headlamps every time you wash your windshield?
Old 12-04-17, 11:17 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

why do you want to?
Old 12-04-17, 11:20 AM
Ricjames31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
why do you want to?
It's for one of our clients IDK they just want to...
Old 12-04-17, 12:05 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricjames31
on the RXs with headlamp washers is there a way to deactivate this feature so it doesn't wash the headlamps every time you wash your windshield?
I think the only way is to crimp or disconnect the hoses. I HATE the headlight washer as when my vehicle is clean and waxed I do not need the head lights spritzed!

First chance I get I want to disconnect them on all my Lexus.

Does anyone know where the washer pump is? I would assume near the reservoir. Would love to crimp the hoses for the head lights

Last edited by ggebhardt; 12-04-17 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricjames31 (12-04-17)
Old 12-04-17, 04:36 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I think the only way is to crimp or disconnect the hoses. I HATE the headlight washer as when my vehicle is clean and waxed I do not need the head lights spritzed!

First chance I get I want to disconnect them on all my Lexus.

Does anyone know where the washer pump is? I would assume near the reservoir. Would love to crimp the hoses for the head lights
Why don't you instead intercept the power wire to the headlight washer pump and wire in a dash mounted on/off switch. I've had some experience with headlight washers including installing them and what I am suggesting shouldn't be difficult and will preserve the functionality of the washers should they be needed.
Ricjames31 (12-05-17)
Old 12-04-17, 06:20 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

When Mercedes starting putting wipers on their headlights many many yeas ago, I laughed...I'm still laughing.
Old 12-04-17, 06:28 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
When Mercedes starting putting wipers on their headlights many many yeas ago, I laughed...I'm still laughing.
.....Me too!
Old 12-05-17, 02:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
Why don't you instead intercept the power wire to the headlight washer pump and wire in a dash mounted on/off switch. I've had some experience with headlight washers including installing them and what I am suggesting shouldn't be difficult and will preserve the functionality of the washers should they be needed.
I can not think of a time when I wish my head lights to be washed. It just makes a mess.
Old 12-05-17, 03:54 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

It is for us northern people when the headlight get dirty in the winter. I like that feature very much.
On my other car if I want to see clearly at night, I must not forget to clean them with snow prior driving.

I see no point of having that for someone in California.
Old 12-05-17, 06:18 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I can not think of a time when I wish my head lights to be washed. It just makes a mess.
If you don't like my on/off switch idea, why not just unplug the electrical connector from the headlight washer pump - shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Originally Posted by Nail34
Virtually all European car makers installed headlight wash/wipe - some as early as the 1960's - even on cars with round headlights. Mercedes and other European car makers first installed headlight wipers on U.S. market cars in around 1986 when U.S. regulations were amended to allow them.

The glass lenses that were formerly used on headlights got much hotter than plastic lenses and caused dirt and grim to build up quickly and get baked on to the point of emitting almost no light after driving only a few miles in slushy conditions. Wipers were more effective than pressure washers but they can't be used on plastic headlight lenses. Having headlight wash/wipe and the long range fuel tank on my Mercedes allowed me and my three buddies to drive nonstop from Kansas City to the Colorado mountains (600+ miles) after work on Friday for a weekend of skiing. Without the headlight wash/wipe, we would have had to stop countless times to manually clean the headlights.

Something I've sometimes done when conditions allowed me to do it safely was to turn the headlights off for a few moments while cleaning the windshield so that the headlight washers wouldn't function - like when stopped for a traffic light.
Old 12-05-17, 06:51 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Doesn't it only go on on every 5th wash?
Old 12-05-17, 08:26 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
Doesn't it only go on on every 5th wash?
If I'm not mistaken, it only comes on when you have the headlights turned to Auto or On. Will fire the first time, and then, like you said, the 3rd or 5th time (can't recall) as long as you don't shut off the engine.

Not sure if you want to go through the trouble of making sure your headlights are off when you do a windshield wash, if it really bugs you.
Old 12-05-17, 09:38 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

It does not bother me, cleaner headlights, more light output, I'll take it.
Old 12-05-17, 01:57 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
It does not bother me, cleaner headlights, more light output, I'll take it.
I fail to see how it cleans the lights. It just makes a mess in my opinion.
Old 12-05-17, 04:37 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I fail to see how it cleans the lights. It just makes a mess in my opinion.
I have it in my truck, but it has a separate button for the headlight washers. I love the option in dark Minnesota winters. Works very well.
Now if i lived in a beautiful climate year round, i would get annoyed with the headlight washer making a mess.

Not sure if it would be easy to disable the feature, quick look at a diagram would show if it used a separate pump, or some way it only squirts every few windshield squirts.

I have not seen this function on the rx, but my 450 should finally be here next week i hope. Been over a month i think, feels like a long time. So spoiled with Amazon prime. Lol
ggebhardt (12-06-17)

Quick Reply: 2017 RX models w/ Headlamp washers