RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tranny Has Me A Bit Nervous

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 09:54 AM
xcinlb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Has Me A Bit Nervous

So after driving BMW's for over 10 years, I have decided to try an RX350. Surprisingly I never had any issues with any of my BMW's, but thats not what I'm here for. I test drove an RX350 at a local dealer and it drove fine. I am considering the purchase of a 2016 RX350 with 25K miles or less. I was all set to pull the trigger, until I stumbled upon this website. After reading about all the tranny problems of hesitation and or vibration I am getting a bit nervous. Also read about AC gurgling and a few other issues. So have most of you guys had pretty good luck? Should I purchase a certified model? There are many more non certified models available at lower prices. Thanks for the advice. Oh, first time posting on Club Lexus.
Old 11-16-17, 10:43 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I was offered a certified 16 4RX350 (2T series) for about $5K less than the '17 but rejected it. I went for the new 2017 4RX350 instead but also making sure it's the JT series or those made in Japan. Nothing against the 2T series it's just a personal choice of mine. And yes, I do not have any concerns or issues with my 17 4RX350. Knock on wood.
Old 11-16-17, 10:50 AM
xcinlb
Rookie

Hi Jiggz858, thanks for the quick response. Can you explain the difference between JT and 2T? How do you know which is which? Vin code?
Old 11-16-17, 10:59 AM
Edino
Driver School Candidate

This is my first post here on this great forum.

I bought 2 weeks ago my 2017 RX 350 and no issues with the tranny. I like it that the tranny is programmed for early shifts. Its smooth, comfortable, quiet, no vibrations, and definetly not a sporty car; which suits me perfectly.

We have the Japan build here in Dubai.
Old 11-16-17, 11:28 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xcinlb
Hi Jiggz858, thanks for the quick response. Can you explain the difference between JT and 2T? How do you know which is which? Vin code?
That is correct. The first two characters of the VIN starts either with JT (those made in Japan) and 2T (those made in North America-Canada) which you can readily see at the very bottom of the windshield driver side. Or specifically ask the sales person for a JT series, which I did and just double check it.

Finally, make sure you test drive the unit you actually plan on buying so there will be no doubt on what you are getting. I did the same.
Old 11-16-17, 12:48 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Im taking the hit and trading in my 17 RX350 for a comparable 450h. I just can’t stand the transmission. The surging, bucking, gear-hunting, and the resonant vibration at 1500 rpm is just too much. The transmission update helped a little, but is far from perfect. Sorely disappointed coming from a smooth-shifting ES350.
Old 11-16-17, 12:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

My trans is smooth but I suspect a lot of this is related to the # gears they keep adding. I really wonder how much more efficient they are. What's wrong with a good old fashioned six speed 8 speed, 10 speed - they have to hunt - what else is there to do.
Old 11-16-17, 04:26 PM
xcinlb
Rookie

So does the 450h not have to issues of the 350 transmission?
Old 11-16-17, 05:14 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased an RX350 with an Ontario build of 8-17. Everything has been A-OK so far. Consumers Report rates the 2016-17 RX as having a better than average frequency of repair record, including the transmission. This is statistically far more significant than the limited posting on this board. For piece of mind, test drive the sample that you intend to purchase before accepting delivery.

Happy motoring!
Old 11-16-17, 05:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
That is correct. The first two characters of the VIN starts either with JT (those made in Japan) and 2T (those made in North America-Canada) which you can readily see at the very bottom of the windshield driver side. Or specifically ask the sales person for a JT series, which I did and just double check it.

Finally, make sure you test drive the unit you actually plan on buying so there will be no doubt on what you are getting. I did the same.
Interesting and I wouldn't have known. I checked mine and its a JT for whatever that is worth.
Old 11-16-17, 06:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by xcinlb
So does the 450h not have to issues of the 350 transmission?
RX350: 8-speed transmission
RX450h: Continuous Variabke Transmission (CVT)

Both have their pros and cons.
Old 11-16-17, 07:46 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're coming from a BMW, they typically drive performanced based with stiffer suspension, so I do highly recommend getting an F-sport as it comes with dampeners for better handling and then I recommend getting aftermarket springs to replace the factory ones as factory is too bouncy (which in turn causes symptoms of engine hesitation because of the car rocking back and forth so much). If you're a driver that likes to accelerate around the corners and turns I definitely recommend this route over the non-F sport models.
Old 11-17-17, 03:27 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
RX350: 8-speed transmission
RX450h: Continuous Variabke Transmission (CVT)

Both have their pros and cons.
what's the con of a planetary cvt with no belt or band ??
Old 11-17-17, 03:30 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
If you're coming from a BMW, they typically drive performanced based with stiffer suspension, so I do highly recommend getting an F-sport as it comes with dampeners for better handling and then I recommend getting aftermarket springs to replace the factory ones as factory is too bouncy (which in turn causes symptoms of engine hesitation because of the car rocking back and forth so much). If you're a driver that likes to accelerate around the corners and turns I definitely recommend this route over the non-F sport models.
lol you can't honestly think the springs cause a hesitation.
Old 11-17-17, 05:08 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Our 2012 Nissan had a rubber belt CVT. Horrible "rubber band" effect. My 2012 Nissan Maxima had a metal belt CVT with a bit of rubber band effect. My 2017 450H CVT is absolutely perfect. It has planetary gears and zero rubber band effect. Power is applied to the wheels quickly and it always seems to be in the right gear "ratio". I say "ratio" because the effective gear ratio is electronically controlled. Check out the numerous YouTube videos on the Lexus CVT transmission that show the inner workings. It's impressively built. Also note that the 450H has a modified Atkinson V6 engine with a little less HP than the 350 engine. However when combined with the electric motors the total HP and torque is higher on the 450H than it is on the 350. The 450H applies power to the rear wheels using only the electric motors and does so in many different situations, not just when the front wheels are slipping. At this point I'd never want to go back to a transmission that has to cycle through dedicated fixed gear ratios. As a side note I did drive a 2017 350 loaner for a week and it did not have any transmission, hesitation or droning problems and shifted very smoothly.

Quick Reply: Tranny Has Me A Bit Nervous