RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Jack lift height

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 08:10 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Jack lift height

Looking to buy a new jack to change tires and do oil changes for the 4RX. Anyone know the required lift height to get the wheels off the ground? My existing 14" trolley jack doesn't lift high enough. Any specific recommendations?
Old 10-28-17, 09:22 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you tried adding wood block or even better hard rubber spacers to raise?
Old 10-29-17, 11:16 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Have you tried adding wood block or even better hard rubber spacers to raise?
Don't do that. It's dangerous.

A 14-inch lift jack sounds like a toy.

Look for a floor jack labeled "high lift" - should have a lift of at least 20 inches which should be enough. More is better. I wouldn't get one less than 2 1/2 tons or less than about 24" inches of lift. I'll leave it to you to do the metric conversion!

Don't skimp. A high quality floor jack can last a lifetime. I bought my high lift floor jack in 1980 and have used it hundreds of times - still good as new.
Old 10-29-17, 01:01 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Solid rubber lift pads are regularly used in jacking up autos either for additional lift or for protecting the under carriage. And yes it is dangerous especially if you do not know what you are doing. But then even use of jacks alone is dangerous. Remember, you jack and insert stands. DON'T EVER WORK ON A VEHICLE SOLELY ON JACKS ALONE. Or if $$$ is not an issue, the better way to do it is to get a 3-Ton high lift floor jack. And some of these high lift floor jacks also uses extenders which are not a whole lot different than lift pads. Of course, this is MHO.
Old 10-29-17, 01:02 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Do not forget the jack stands!
Old 10-29-17, 06:02 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Solid rubber lift pads are regularly used in jacking up autos either for additional lift or for protecting the under carriage. And yes it is dangerous especially if you do not know what you are doing. But then even use of jacks alone is dangerous. Remember, you jack and insert stands. DON'T EVER WORK ON A VEHICLE SOLELY ON JACKS ALONE. Or if $$$ is not an issue, the better way to do it is to get a 3-Ton high lift floor jack. And some of these high lift floor jacks also uses extenders which are not a whole lot different than lift pads. Of course, this is MHO.
My "dangerous" comment was aimed mainly at your recommendation to use wood blocks which can split causing vehicles to drop.

However, the purpose of rubber lift pads is to protect vehicle undercarriages or frame rails - not to provide additional lift. These also can split and collapse - particularly as they age and become brittle.

Most vehicles made by Toyota over the past past few decades have designated lift points, designed to accept a floor jack, at the center front and center back of the vehicle. Your owners manual shows where these two lift points are located.

I certainly agree that the only purpose of a floor jack is to raise the vehicle high enough to put it on jack stands. Always use wheel chocks when raising a vehicle with a floor jack.
Old 10-29-17, 07:32 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

When you decide to do things yourself, the should, could and would will always be there. Maybe the best way to tackle this is to have the dealership or an auto shop do the oil change. It sure cost more $$$ but you can at least avoid the should, could and woulds. Regardless how good or licensed you are as a mechanic, the should, could and would will always be there whenever you decide to do things yourself. It's the gamble you have to take when you try to save $$$ by doing things yourself. Oh don't forget make sure it's on "P" and mechanical brakes are applied.
Old 10-30-17, 05:04 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

When you decide to do things yourself, the should, could and would will always be there. Maybe the best way to tackle this is to have the dealership or an auto shop do the oil change. It sure cost more $$$ but you can at least avoid the should, could and woulds. Regardless how good or licensed you are as a mechanic, the should, could and would will always be there whenever you decide to do things yourself. It's the gamble you have to take when you try to save $$$ by doing things yourself. Oh don't forget make sure it's on "P" and mechanical brakes are applied.
well, i think i'm alright, and do pretty good, there is no license per say but i am a 25 year ase certified master mechanic, I live on the edge and do oil changes sometimes at my house, and swap winter tire and wheels here too.
Old 10-30-17, 02:40 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Since you are from Alberta...just use some hockey pucks. No kidding, been using them to lift a Vette for years...I've even mailed some to my Southern friends that don't have access to pucks as easily as us Canucks!