RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 12:33 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabai865
Oct 15, 2017..purchased my 2017 rx350 f-sport a little over a mth ago. Had to take it to the dealership this past Thursday as water is leaking from the roof (speaker). I am pissed!!!!! Now i see the "only one customer ever complained abt this" that thr service guy told me, was a lie. This week is when the "glass needs to be replaced" is suppose to come in. But clearly from the forum is not the glass but the drain etc. I feel silly driving around in a loaner and just bought this luxury vehicle. Lexus ought to do better. They needed to have made sure all these defects weRe fixed before sending them off to dealership. I don't think I'll invest in another lexus. My car feels flawed to me now. No longer excited abt it.
You will not find any brand vehicle that does not have a problem or two. Such a small problem and you are ready to turn on it.

Last edited by kitlz; 10-15-17 at 12:41 PM. Reason: getting personal
Old 10-15-17, 03:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Dreaming if you think any manufacturer can guarantee 100% there will never be a single defect with any vehicle.
Old 10-27-17, 03:50 PM
jrcaputo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be black mold forming (which is toxic). Having a similar issue with my 2017 RX. The dealer claims there was a spider infestation that blocked a drain plug causing water to backup into the cabin. They didn't even look at the car when I brought it in because they have had other cars come in with the same issue. Battling with the dealership because they won't cover it under warranty, they had me put a claim in through my comprehensive coverage. I'd like to know how many other owners have had "spider infestations".
The following users liked this post:
maeve99 (07-30-21)
Old 10-27-17, 04:20 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jrcaputo
Could be black mold forming (which is toxic). Having a similar issue with my 2017 RX. The dealer claims there was a spider infestation that blocked a drain plug causing water to backup into the cabin. They didn't even look at the car when I brought it in because they have had other cars come in with the same issue. Battling with the dealership because they won't cover it under warranty, they had me put a claim in through my comprehensive coverage. I'd like to know how many other owners have had "spider infestations".
i did in my 13 ES, but after a couple years. Dealer said it was spider infestation. I’m worried, because it seems like there are more and more reports of this happening in the 4RX, even vehicles that have only been on the road for a short time. Mb a design issue.
Old 10-30-17, 03:33 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by jrcaputo
My friend had the same problem and the dealership (Serramonte Lexus) asked for $8,000 to repair it (which Lexus Corp also sided with). My friend took them to court and now they are asking him to sign a paper that they did not sell him a lemon. If these problems are occurring on more RX's, then Lexus should get it fixed. It is clearly a manufacture defect and they cannot 'hide' behind 'spiders.'
jrcaputo (10-30-17)
Old 10-31-17, 12:08 PM
gte124w
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem on my 2016 F Sport when driving in heavy rain. Took it in and they thought it was a drain but it was not. They decided to replace the sunroof glass, which took 3 weeks for the part to come in, etc. It hasn't leaked since. Another dealership told me they have a bunch of RXs come in with this problem and they believe there's not enough sunroof depth to allow the water to drain out and pool up for the drain before the whole area is flooded and water penetrates inside. Not sure the whole story but I got a sunroof replacement out of it under warranty.
yok3dIS (10-31-17)
Old 10-31-17, 01:44 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be great if someone can post before and after pics of the sunroof if they had it replaced. I am wondering if Lexus installed the re-designed part in RX450h which I received two weeks ago.
Old 11-01-17, 12:15 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

After reading all the posts, I'm starting to have doubts on Dealership claims cause is with "spider infestation". This is really doubtful especially those brand new cars less than 4 months old and not to mention most of these reported cars are garaged.
Old 11-01-17, 12:18 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
After reading all the posts, I'm starting to have doubts on Dealership claims cause is with "spider infestation". This is really doubtful especially those brand new cars less than 4 months old and not to mention most of these reported cars are garaged.
Yeah, the spider infestation reason sounds far fetched.

No problems here yet but I've not driven it much. Once it gets the attention for DOT, it will change things. I can't imagine a car accident due to distraction or temporary "blindless" from water dripping down the mic and onto the driver wouldn't go over very well.
Old 11-02-17, 05:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by elimmigran
Yeah, the spider infestation reason sounds far fetched.

No problems here yet but I've not driven it much. Once it gets the attention for DOT, it will change things. I can't imagine a car accident due to distraction or temporary "blindless" from water dripping down the mic and onto the driver wouldn't go over very well.
Talk about far fetched!
Old 11-02-17, 07:27 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 11-03-17, 02:03 PM
kellydon09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice water also from my Lexus RX 300 whenever it rains the car will always be flooded with water especially the passenger side and over flow to the back sit .
Old 11-08-17, 01:17 PM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched a video about the manufacturing process in Cambridge about the RX models. They are supposed to be water leak tested at the end of the assembly line with high pressure water. Why would the water leak not be corrected at the factory?
Old 11-08-17, 02:19 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

The problem with the leak is that it's not constant on all vehicles and there's a time delay in detecting it. The water leak test at the factory is too miniscule of a time exposure to rain to detect such leaks especially one that is caused by the AC evaporator coils. No amount of rain can detect this type of leak. On the otherhand, the roof leak from the sun roof, takes a while before the leak can be detected since it has to puddle first in the roofing before leaking. I wish Lexus is reading this forum and come up with a correct fix rather than blaming it on something that is not.
Old 02-22-18, 03:33 PM
socky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Lexus 450H Fsport AC drain clog - spider web

Hi, I have also wet caper issue.

I notified LX about wet carpet on 01/27/2018 for my 1 year complementary service call in.
They got diagnosis as AC drain line clog after 6-7 hours inspection and told me that it caused by spider web. They failed to provide any photo or evidence spider web can cause the water clog in the line.
Request proper photo from the incident date, but they always use other 350 model photo not directly from my vehicle.
The repair is not covered by Warranty since LX claimed the root cause as "spider web" (nature or God). But this is conflict to the root cause of 2013 Toyota Voluntary Recall (also caused by "spider web")
My entire carpet/liner/sound proof materials in vehicles are wet and I also see some Mold developed in the bottom of vehicle (inside of car) after they tear out all seats and carpets and materials.
Lexus quotes on this repair is over $9K and they recommend me to file my insurance. Estimated repair duration is given about 4-6 weeks.
Multiple times I complained. I asked them to provide me proper prevention user manual section or that proof of this is not caused by manufacturing defect or design flaw, but so forth, I don't get any of them.
Corporate office customer center is responding as similar as service center. Even they claimed that Toyota Warranty is different from Lexus since I ever mention the 2013 Toyota recall. (but service manual words and page print is identical to Lexus warranty page)
Since this is rare happening case such like Toyota Recall 2013, I am so unhappy why they treat the warranty coverage differently.
If this is owner's responsibility then, they should address a proper maintenance procedure for "spider web" on the owner's manual. (Example, tire is not cover by LX warranty, but they addressed on user manual)
I requested to the LX corporate office to show me the similar cases for 2017 RX model water damage by spider web, they resist to share the info as it is a company secrete.
I also request them to explain how they ensure the line is not clog from the manufacturing or even before manufacturing. No proper explanation yet. I don't know how Lexus is shining for Good Reliability and Quality Control.

I believe, with proper seal of AC evaporate box / unit + small filter install on the end of the drain line (exterior side), this problem can be simply prevented.
Since shop manager has been aware of this type of clogging issue and told me that they had been talking to LX factory multiple times, it's more like design defect/reliability issue to me.
I think that it is not fair to cover all the cost on me (my insurance). Why do I need to be responsible for this issue? Is it because it happens so rarely?
Please, be aware of my case and hopefully this can be help to other future victims.

Quick Reply: Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)