RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 08:35 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Water leaking? Yes, the drain will need unclogging, age and mileage?
some vehicles they are a pita to locate and other ones are out in the open on the lower firewall
​​​​​
​​
Old 10-06-17, 08:40 AM
dlrshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is a 17 RX 5000 miles.
Old 10-06-17, 08:41 AM
dlrshort
Driver School Candidate

I cannot seem to locate any exiting drain tube under the chassis.
Old 10-06-17, 08:46 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Sometimes they are hidden by shielding , the tin material. It has to be there somewhere. Sorry I can help more. (25 year master mechanic) youtube might help, rx ac drain, a gen 3 might help to locate it too.
so few miles, it might be pinched, or some physical defect with it vs clogged with debris,
good luck, please post a follow up.
Old 10-06-17, 09:14 AM
dlrshort
Driver School Candidate

unfortunately I don't have a lift, after crawling under the car as best I am able I've seen no drain hose. What's annoying as I had the car in Wednesday for 5000 mile told them about the problem and I know they didn't even try to address it. My service manager, I believe lied to my face to cover up for the fact that he had forgotten to address it with the mechanic.
Old 10-06-17, 09:35 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Only 5000 miles and your ac drain already clogged? That’s a bad sign. Happened on my 13 ES, and they had to replace the drain hose with one that had some kind of insecticidal tip on it. Also had to pull the whole carpet to dry it. Earlier (various)models have had TSBs for this problem; it seems like they would have come up with a better design by now.
Old 10-06-17, 10:13 AM
dlrshort
Driver School Candidate

the car sits outside on the driveway where a multitude of trees **** all over it. Pine needles, leaves galore. I try to keep on top of it, too late this time. Carpets were not too wet. all dry. won't use air till it goes back to the dealer again.
Old 10-06-17, 10:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Only 5000 miles and your ac drain already clogged? That’s a bad sign. Happened on my 13 ES, and they had to replace the drain hose with one that had some kind of insecticidal tip on it. Also had to pull the whole carpet to dry it. Earlier (various)models have had TSBs for this problem; it seems like they would have come up with a better design by now.
They often get clogged from spider webs. I never knew there was an insecticidal repellent approach - that's pretty cool.
Old 10-07-17, 11:06 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dlrshort
hi guys, I'm trying to locate the best place to unclog this. Where drain pipe exit under the car? Would this be the best place to access? Thanks.
I just stumble across this post, and having dealt with this issue from time to time on my 2nd gen, I'll tell you how I resolve it on mine. Your's while newer, should be similar. Drain hose is under car, but up under shielding and not a long hose. Eventually I found mine, but it was so short I found a better way:

Purchase a can of AC coil cleaner foam from Home Depot. I use this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-921/206740351

Go to your passenger floorboard. On my 07, there is an access panel on the left side wall of the console area (below and under radio and controls). (Put your head all the way down on passenger floor area and look left). It is held on by 2 push clips that remove easily with a small screwdriver. Once removed you'll see the drain line right in front of you coming off the condenser box and leading down under the car. Disconnect the tube by sliding it off with your hand, no tools needed. Shake up your can of AC coil cleaner and attach one of those little red spray directing straws onto the nozzle. If it doesn't come with one, find another as you need it to spray inside. Stick the red straw all the way into the condenser port and spray the foam into your condenser box and let it fill up. Have a rag handy as it will drip out the bottom once it fills. Spray some down the tube leading to the bottom you disconnected. Reattach the drain tube. Start your car and run AC full blast on recirc. You will see foam and crud releasing out the bottom of passenger side like it's meant to.
On mine, the coils get lint and mildew that clog the system up. Once a year it seems I do this and it cleans it all out and AC works great after. Cleaner works great and won't damage plastic or rubber or anything else it may touch.
Try it. Takes 10 minutes, costs like 6$ per can. Lexus does the same thing for 200$ with their proprietary foam, but its the same stuff and this is exactly how they do it.
Hope that helps!
Old 10-13-17, 05:36 PM
jrcaputo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2017 RX Drain Plug Issue

Has anyone experienced this? My 2017 RX has water accumulating in the passenger side foot well. I live in the northeast and am dealing with a high volume dealership. I brought the vehicle into service and they informed me that there have been multiple issues (3 in the last 5 weeks). The story I was given by my service consultant was that spiders boro into the AC drainage plug causing it to clog and backing water up into the cabin. The accumulating water causes black mold to form with explains the odd odor. Their solution is to pull out all carpeting and padding and perform mold remediation. Now here's where it gets good, after telling me they had between 15 and 20 cases, they inform me that I need to put an insurance claim in to cover the repair which runs between $5K and $6K and that I would be responsible for any deductible. This vehicle is 9 months old with 6K miles on it. I had a 2015 RX that I loved and had no issues with. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 10-13-17, 07:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

This can happen to any car and certainly not a warranty issue.
Old 10-13-17, 07:44 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jrcaputo
Has anyone experienced this? My 2017 RX has water accumulating in the passenger side foot well. I live in the northeast and am dealing with a high volume dealership. I brought the vehicle into service and they informed me that there have been multiple issues (3 in the last 5 weeks). The story I was given by my service consultant was that spiders boro into the AC drainage plug causing it to clog and backing water up into the cabin. The accumulating water causes black mold to form with explains the odd odor. Their solution is to pull out all carpeting and padding and perform mold remediation. Now here's where it gets good, after telling me they had between 15 and 20 cases, they inform me that I need to put an insurance claim in to cover the repair which runs between $5K and $6K and that I would be responsible for any deductible. This vehicle is 9 months old with 6K miles on it. I had a 2015 RX that I loved and had no issues with. Any comments or suggestions?
To unclog the drain and get rid of mildew in the condenser; read my response in this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...gers-side.html
That you can do alone in less than 20 minutes and save thousands. You can also pull your front carpets from the car to dry them. If it's not too bad, run heater on high onto floor for awhile with windows open.
Hope that helps. Yours should be covered under warranty and done for free. Some dealerships are boneheaded though, so try my fix to get your car sorted, then make them look into it more. I've read alot about this issue as it happened to my 2nd gen, and what dealers like to do is rip your whole dash apart and replace your condenser for $$$.
Old 10-13-17, 08:34 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I've posted this before, but i don't understand why Lexus isn't installing the insecticidal tips on the drains as default by now. This issue happened on my 2013 ES, and they had to install an insecticidal tip, and there were actually TSBs for it on earlier models.
Old 10-14-17, 01:22 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Is my assumption that something like this is much riskier for a hybrid? My '17 has only 350miles so it hasn't been driven much the past 3 months. It's parked in the garage full time and my house is sprayed every month for bugs. I've washed it a few times and have not noticed any funky smell or water as of yet but I'm concerned and this will be on my radar.

There is no way I would accept such a response from Lexus. Class action lawsuit may be appropriate and forthcoming as more and more people report the problem.
Old 10-15-17, 12:11 PM
Tabai865
Driver School Candidate

Default Water leaking on the inside from Bluetooth speaker onbroof

Oct 15, 2017..purchased my 2017 rx350 f-sport a little over a mth ago. Had to take it to the dealership this past Thursday as water is leaking from the roof (speaker). I am pissed!!!!! Now i see the "only one customer ever complained abt this" that thr service guy told me, was a lie. This week is when the "glass needs to be replaced" is suppose to come in. But clearly from the forum is not the glass but the drain etc. I feel silly driving around in a loaner and just bought this luxury vehicle. Lexus ought to do better. They needed to have made sure all these defects weRe fixed before sending them off to dealership. I don't think I'll invest in another lexus. My car feels flawed to me now. No longer excited abt it.

Originally Posted by Madbuyer
Worst decision I made buying a Lexus . My car is just 4 months old . I am getting water inside of it . The dealer on route 10 claims it is because of the sunroof drains getting clogged by the stuff from the tree. One person told me it is from spider web clogging it. The car has been with them for a week they cannot guarantee me it is not going to happen again. I have had two previous cars with sunroofs , I never had that problem.. I don't know what kind of bull**** they are telling me. It is not like I had the car for years it is only 4 months old. I could really use some advice.

Quick Reply: Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)