RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Autonomous Emergency Braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 07:24 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Autonomous Emergency Braking

Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the sensitivity of the system , so that the vehicle brakes sooner (or later ) when it detects an imminent rear end collision about to occur with the car in front ?
Old 10-03-17, 02:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

There is an adjustment for the alarm itself but when it brakes is likely all controlled by the computer.
Old 10-03-17, 03:38 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the sensitivity of the system , so that the vehicle brakes sooner (or later ) when it detects an imminent rear end collision about to occur with the car in front ?
■ Changing the pre-crash warning timing
The pre-crash warning timing can be changed on (P. 110) of the multiinformation
display.
The operation timing setting is retained when the engine switch is turned off.
Far
The warning will begin to operate
earlier than with the default timing.
Middle
This is the default setting.
Near
later than with the default timing.
Changing settings of the pre-crash safety system
Old 10-03-17, 04:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
■ Changing the pre-crash warning timing
The pre-crash warning timing can be changed on (P. 110) of the multiinformation
display.
The operation timing setting is retained when the engine switch is turned off.
Far
earlier than with the default timing.
Middle
This is the default setting.
Near
later than with the default timing.
Changing settings of the pre-crash safety system
Are you saying it changes when the brakes are automatically applied or just when the warning light comes on. I think it is only the warning light.
Old 10-04-17, 02:46 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

The manual says you're adjusting the sensitivity of the warning system so I read that as meaning the light and brakes work sooner/later, but I'm no expert.
Old 10-04-17, 04:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The manual says you're adjusting the sensitivity of the warning system so I read that as meaning the light and brakes work sooner/later, but I'm no expert.
I think it only adjusts the warning system, not the actual emergency braking. Do not think Lexus would allow us to adjust that. I have had the emergency braking work twice and it is quite dramatic but very effective.

Only thing that scared me is when on higher sensitivity, the warning went off when going around a sharp corner and had it alarm when an oncoming vehicle went buy. It would have been catastrophic if the emergency braking would have gone off while in that turn. Lucky, on the warning!
Old 10-04-17, 08:05 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I think it only adjusts the warning system, not the actual emergency braking. Do not think Lexus would allow us to adjust that. I have had the emergency braking work twice and it is quite dramatic but very effective.

Only thing that scared me is when on higher sensitivity, the warning went off when going around a sharp corner and had it alarm when an oncoming vehicle went buy. It would have been catastrophic if the emergency braking would have gone off while in that turn. Lucky, on the warning!

correct me than i am wrong - i think the auto braking only works below certain speeds... because i agree that it would of been a dangerous for the situation described.

similar situation that the warning scared me.. i was on the highway and the car in front of me braked hard for some reason - i was approaching that car at highway speeds and i was ready to switch lanes.. but the warning went off and scared me as i initially didn't realize why it was going off..
Old 10-04-17, 08:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chunktwo
correct me than i am wrong - i think the auto braking only works below certain speeds... because i agree that it would of been a dangerous for the situation described.

similar situation that the warning scared me.. i was on the highway and the car in front of me braked hard for some reason - i was approaching that car at highway speeds and i was ready to switch lanes.. but the warning went off and scared me as i initially didn't realize why it was going off..
I have had it alert multiple times because the car in front of me is turning off the road and I anticipate he will be off the road by time I get there. I set mine of the highest sensitivity at first but now moved it to medium. I do not think this adjusts the emergency braking but will cut down on some false alarms.

I think you have to be going at least a certain speed for the emergency brake system to work. Slow speeds will not set it off. It will only work above certain speeds. After it does work it is important to step on your brake as it releases the brakes afterwards.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 10-04-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 10:51 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I believe the steering wheel needs to be straight in order for auto braking to work. The system would probably assume you are trying to avoid an accident and wouldn't put full brakes. So no need to worry about the system applying the brakes when driving around a curve.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 12:25 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
I believe the steering wheel needs to be straight in order for auto braking to work. The system would probably assume you are trying to avoid an accident and wouldn't put full brakes. So no need to worry about the system applying the brakes when driving around a curve.
It sure got my attention! Thanks, I hope you are right!

Thanks Sir!
Old 10-05-17, 06:02 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

dumb question, but say a plastic bag, cardboard box or other things will not set this off ??
would suck to get rear ended cause your car got spooked by a cvs bag floating around.

thanks.

Last edited by JSracer; 10-05-17 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 07:36 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
dumb question, but say a plastic bag, cardboard box or other things will not set this off ??
would suck to get rear ended cause your car got spooked by a cvs bad floating around.

thanks.
ive encountered bags and it’s never been set off, it’s gotta be something of considerable size I think
Old 10-05-17, 08:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

would suck to get rear ended cause your car got spooked by a cvs bag floating around.

thanks.
I have had the alarm go off many time but never for anything except another vehicle.

I love it this morning when I am on the highway and look in my rear view mirror and the girl had her phone in her hands on top of the steering wheel just texting away.

That is when I do an extended windshield wash!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 10-05-17 at 02:38 PM.
Oldfart (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17, 10:23 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am concerned about this as well.. due to the fact as I "tested" the system real world and NO NO NO wear as functional as on my RCF.. Taking into dealer to voice concern. As if there is some error amongst setting of the RX.
Old 10-05-17, 12:25 PM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks.
It only detects human and metal. So you are safe from plastic bag and cardboard box.
ggebhardt (10-05-17)

Quick Reply: Autonomous Emergency Braking