RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 to RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 07:06 AM
technodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX350 to RX450h?

We have had our 2016 RX350 for a year and a half now and it has been a complete disappointment. We have had a number of issues since day one, including some of the common issues mentioned on this forum. We decided to purchase the 2016 rx350 after our Audi Q5 3.2 hit 100k miles and we were worried about the repair costs that would ensue soon along with the reliability and quality concerns of owning a high mileage German vehicle. Compared to our rx350, looking back at the q5, it was a solid vehicle and fun to drive and we miss it. We wanted a long term vehicle that we wouldn’t have to worry about for years and bought the Lexus for its quality and reliability. With all the problems now, we are seriously considering of cutting our losses and getting rid of it. We still believe that Toyota/Lexus builds good vehicles and would even consider the hybrid RX as the owners here have not reported any of the issues we rx350 owners have had or are having. Any thoughts from hybrid owners?
Old 09-23-17, 07:20 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

My concern, and it looks like it may never be resolved to my satisfaction, is the hesitation. Although it has been good the last few weeks, I would not buy this vehicle again, or until Lexus states that previous issues with hesitation have been resolved.

My next vehicle will be the 450H. I have driven them many times as my dealer usually gives me one as a loaner. They are a little different to get used to as I have not owned a hybrid. I too believe that Lexus does build fine automobiles and the quality is right up there with the best in this industry. I hate going to the dealer for anything and Toyota and Lexus have not let me down until my purchase of a 2016 RX350 F sport.

I look forward to better mileage with the hybrid, although that is not my main reason for considering it.
Old 09-23-17, 11:15 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I started with an RX and move to the 450h and have no regrets. Smooth continuous power. There is no hesitation. You will get the EPA mileage or better if you behave.

I would always get the RX450h and I did, bought a second one.
Old 09-23-17, 11:11 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like ggebhardt I too after a year of owning a 2016 RX350 decided to trade it in for a 2017 RX450H. The RX450H is more expensive than the RX350 to begin with so with the depreciation and the higher cost of the hybrid I took quite a big hit with the cost difference. But it was worth it to me to finally have the Lexus that I originally wanted it to be. Should have bought the hybrid to begin with. The hybrid is so much smoother without any of the problems of the regular RX. Love the hybrid and would recommend anyone considering it to go for it. You won't regret it. My RX350 did have some vibration and noise problems but not as bad as some others have reported. The hesitation problem was made better with the TSB. If you're considering the hybrid take it out for a test drive and give it a try. Once you get used to the way the hybrids perform/drive/act I think you will be very happy with it. The CVT is also very smooth. Love my new hybrid!
The following 2 users liked this post by 16rx350:
ggebhardt (09-24-17), PCW (09-25-17)
Old 09-25-17, 01:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by 16rx350
Like ggebhardt I too after a year of owning a 2016 RX350 decided to trade it in for a 2017 RX450H. The RX450H is more expensive than the RX350 to begin with so with the depreciation and the higher cost of the hybrid I took quite a big hit with the cost difference. But it was worth it to me to finally have the Lexus that I originally wanted it to be. Should have bought the hybrid to begin with. The hybrid is so much smoother without any of the problems of the regular RX. Love the hybrid and would recommend anyone considering it to go for it. You won't regret it. My RX350 did have some vibration and noise problems but not as bad as some others have reported. The hesitation problem was made better with the TSB. If you're considering the hybrid take it out for a test drive and give it a try. Once you get used to the way the hybrids perform/drive/act I think you will be very happy with it. The CVT is also very smooth. Love my new hybrid!
I'd be nervous with the CVT but perhaps theirs is better than the ones I've experienced.
Old 09-25-17, 07:00 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

So far I haven't heard any problems with the Lexus/Toyota CVT. They've used them for a few years now with no major complaints. Once you get used to them you'll find that they are so smooth. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 09-26-17, 03:55 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

We had a 2010 RX 350 and now a 2015 RX 450h and not one problem. The hybrid is so much better. We would routinely get 19 mpg around town with the RX350. In the RX450h we get 29 mpg around town. Used the RX450h cost us about $1,500 more than the gas models that were on the Lexus lot. With gasoline in the low two dollars this is the time to buy a hybrid. Just bought a 2017 ES 300h replacing my 2013. The RX450h has more horsepower and is much quieter than our RX350. My wife agrees that we would never buy anything from this point on except hybrids or when Lexus comes out with an electric vehicle. Just finished a trip over 500 miles in my ES and averaged 41 mpg.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
16rx350 (09-26-17), ggebhardt (09-26-17)
Old 09-26-17, 08:23 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rx350

If you like driving get the 350...its way smoother and sounds and drives like a car should , its silky smooth and works beautifully ...the 450 has some unusual quirks with the braking and the transmission is pretty ordinary if you like something that changes crisply and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner . The 350 is lighter and handles better accordingly
Old 09-27-17, 10:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I love to read the differences in opinion. The CVT I had was awful and as far as hybrids go, I've only driven one and didn't care for the experience.
Old 09-27-17, 04:44 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by technodis
We have had our 2016 RX350 for a year and a half now and it has been a complete disappointment. We have had a number of issues since day one, including some of the common issues mentioned on this forum...Any thoughts from hybrid owners?
After driving it for 7 months I traded-in my '16 RX 350 for a new '16 RX 450h. The sole reason was the 350's loathesome hesitation/jerky transmission. Even friends riding with me would say "Uh...what's THAT?" Gut-wrenching. Appalling. Unbelievable for a Lexus. Of course I lost $$ on the deal but was desperate, could not continue with the situation. And I was SO glad to get back to a CVT (this is my third Lexus hybrid...had an HS 250h & an ES 300h, both terrific cars; have also owned a Prius and a Camry Hybrid). The 450h is even the same color (Nebula) as the 350...so people don't know or notice it's a different car (which is fine by me). Less embarrassing to reveal what I fool I had been rushing to buy a brand-new untested car. I was a Lexus loyalist, I believed the brand could do no wrong, and would always be a safe investment. Not so much now after getting burned.

As for this smooooth 450h, I'm happily back in loyalty land. I've averaged 30.2 mpg over 5,400 miles (all in city driving); I was getting 17 - 18 in the 350. Even with paying extra for premium gas in the 450h (vs regular in the 350), overall fuel costs are cheaper for the 450h...since I get nearly twice as many miles out of a gallon of gas. [And before anybody leaps to challenge that statement: I'm [u]not factoring-in the additional cost of buying a hybrid...my savings are simply based on fuel costs & mpg. Nor do I expect the fuel savings to ever even approach matching the initial cost difference...that's an expense you swallow if you want a hybrid. Especially if you're desperate to buy your way out of a messy, ill-functioning transmission debacle.]

Lesson learned: Never buy the first issue of ANY new model of ANYTHING. That has always been the rule for operating systems, iPhones, and sadly I must now follow it with Lexi. Problems will quickly surface like floaters in a cesspool; a good owners' forum (like ClubLexus) and/or Google will help you search & spot them quite easily, monitor how the dealer and manufacturer respond, and ultimately see if the issues are fixed (or not). Had I just waited 30 days I could have learned of the issue and saved the thou$ands I lost in the trade up to the 450h. But I had swallowed all the hype and was in some kind of trance-like mood to own the first RX in town. And as my family & friends love to tell me, I have a "car problem". After the dismal experience with the 350, now that I've got the hybrid I've put myself in "carhab". Well at least for now; cars are my drug of choice.

p.s. Despite my experience and advice, my brother in Florida recently bought a new '17 350. He says he notices the transmission problem but is "willing to live with it". He and wife traded a 2001 RX for it, and still have a beloved 2013 RX (neither of them hybrids). They simply love the RX whether blemished or not.

Just my $.02 -- your experience (and mileage) may vary.
The following 2 users liked this post by winsalem:
16rx350 (09-27-17), ggebhardt (09-28-17)
Old 09-28-17, 01:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I love to read the differences in opinion. The CVT I had was awful and as far as hybrids go, I've only driven one and didn't care for the experience.
Same for me. Lexus gave me a 450h for a loaner when I was getting service and I hated the CVT.

After a while I started to love it. Now would not own a regular RX350.
Old 09-28-17, 05:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Same for me. Lexus gave me a 450h for a loaner when I was getting service and I hated the CVT.

After a while I started to love it. Now would not own a regular RX350.
I had a CVT for nine months and could never get used to it. This is what makes the world go around. Just love the RX and glad you are enjoying yours as well.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (09-28-17)
Old 09-28-17, 09:24 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I had a CVT for nine months and could never get used to it. This is what makes the world go around. Just love the RX and glad you are enjoying yours as well.
The CVT is the only thing stopping me from buying a hybrid. I just can't stand driving them.
Old 09-28-17, 09:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mspearl95
The CVT is the only thing stopping me from buying a hybrid. I just can't stand driving them.
I understand as I felt the same the first time I drove one, even the 2nd and third time and I still was not sold.
Old 09-28-17, 09:59 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Just curious why both mikemu30 and mspearl95 don't like the CVT. What didn't you like about it? I know that it revs high when under hard acceleration and you don't feel the shifting between gears, but other than that I love the CVT. Maybe it appeals to the older drivers like myself.

Quick Reply: RX350 to RX450h?