RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Set drive mode default up on start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 03:29 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Set drive mode default up on start up

So it appears that Lexus is not fixing the hesitation acceleration anytime soon (even after the TSB applied). The only fix seems to be putting the car in sport drive mode. Unfortunately every time you stop/start the car, it reverts back to "normal" (or Eco) drive mode.
There may be a way to set it to sport mode by default with a device called PAC TR-7. I've used this to disable the Tundra traction control every time I started the truck. I imagine we can do the same thing with the Lexus. Just need to figure out which wire is the sport mode wire. If it is anything like the Tundra, turning the **** to the sport mode basically just ground a wire which trigger the mode change. We can use the PAC TR-7 do you the same automatically (ground the sport mode wire for a brief second right after the car is started). The TR-7 can also handle positive as well if the wire is not ground...

More research is needed. Anyone a little more technical here and may have access to the wiring diagram please contribute.
Old 09-20-17, 02:00 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

It will remember eco and normal only.
Old 09-20-17, 02:51 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
So it appears that Lexus is not fixing the hesitation acceleration anytime soon (even after the TSB applied). The only fix seems to be putting the car in sport drive mode. Unfortunately every time you stop/start the car, it reverts back to "normal" (or Eco) drive mode.
There may be a way to set it to sport mode by default with a device called PAC TR-7. I've used this to disable the Tundra traction control every time I started the truck. I imagine we can do the same thing with the Lexus. Just need to figure out which wire is the sport mode wire. If it is anything like the Tundra, turning the **** to the sport mode basically just ground a wire which trigger the mode change. We can use the PAC TR-7 do you the same automatically (ground the sport mode wire for a brief second right after the car is started). The TR-7 can also handle positive as well if the wire is not ground...

More research is needed. Anyone a little more technical here and may have access to the wiring diagram please contribute.

Same complaint here, I only use sport mode which gets rid of most of the hesitation. It figures that the one driving mode I use defaults back. Lexus just can't seem to do anything right. I'm bringing my in for sevice soon, I'll ask the dealer if they can set it through their scan tool.
Old 09-20-17, 02:57 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

No it cannot be set by the dealership. I have Techstream and there isn't a setting in there to change the default for it.
I imagine it can be done by development at Toyota corp level but that ain't going to happen anytime soon.
Old 09-21-17, 02:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Likely under agreement with the EPA.
Old 10-13-17, 08:13 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Default How to start car in sport drive mode

so it turns out that if you turn that **** to sport mode and hold it there and start the car, it will put the car in sport mode (duh...no brained there). So, if you glue/tape or somehow make the **** sticks there, then every time you start it up, it'll be on that drive mode mode rather than in normal/eco or whatever. Now it's up to you do make it stick there esthetically and not permanent so you can undo (tape or whatever) and go back to stock form. Put the **** fixed in certain mode won't break anything. Good luck gens/ladies.
Old 10-13-17, 08:47 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I would not. Forcing the **** to stick in the sport mode could cause CPU issues, but maybe not.

How hard is it to turn the **** each time gens/ladies?
Old 10-13-17, 09:55 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

wouldn’t it be easier just to spend half a second turning the **** after starting the car?
Old 10-13-17, 10:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

The engineers should have given us the option of setting the default.
Old 10-13-17, 12:21 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I suspect the EPA had something to do with this. Lexus would not do this just to **** off it's customers. Every Lexus I have owned has done the same.
Old 10-13-17, 12:27 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I suspect the EPA had something to do with this. Lexus would not do this just to **** off it's customers. Every Lexus I have owned has done the same.
Yep because when you set as ECO, it stays there!
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (10-14-17)
Old 10-13-17, 12:34 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's more about MPG. But personally, I'll just take the seconds it take to turn the **** rather than permanently taping it.
Old 10-13-17, 12:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I think it's more about MPG. But personally, I'll just take the seconds it take to turn the **** rather than permanently taping it.
Definitely an easy enough solution. Forget the tape
Old 10-13-17, 01:25 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the hot glue idea
Old 10-13-17, 01:59 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by guxu
I like the hot glue idea
might as well just break off the **** and use vice grips to secure it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mspearl95:
bamalam (06-07-20), ggebhardt (10-14-17)

Quick Reply: Set drive mode default up on start up