RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New RX350 vs '14-'15 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 07:32 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New RX350 vs '14-'15 LS460L

Hi all,

Don't usually post in this part of the forum, but wanted to get some feedback from the RX people.

My wife is in need of a new car. We (my primary car) currently have an '11 LS460L with all the options besides the Lane Keep Assist, Driver Attention Monitor, and Executive Seating. She likes this car, but she is also of the opinion that newer is better (she just feels a sense of security of getting a new car and knowing that nothing is supposed to go wrong with it) and after having driven a brand new loaded RX350 she liked that car quite a bit too. Obviously the LS and the RX are drastically different, yet another loaded '14 LS460L with more option than an optioned out RX can be had for about the same price.

Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, the LS has a buttery smooth ride, ample legroom for getting two small kids in and out of their car seats, automatic rear shades, driver attention monitor (available on the one that we are looking at), better interior, exclusivity. On the other hand, the RX is newer, has a larger trunk, higher off the ground.

So what are some of your thoughts on where these cars stack up. Assuming that cargo room is not the deciding factor, what are some other reasons that you would favor one over the other. Or really any other feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Y
Old 09-18-17, 07:46 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

If I buy another Lexus for ME then I'll get the LS; however, if I buy one for my wife then she would want the RX (something about higher sitting position).
Old 09-18-17, 07:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Car vs SUV - very different. I personally like the ride in a car but we bought the RX as my wife likes the SUV high seating etc.
Old 09-18-17, 07:59 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Hi all,

Don't usually post in this part of the forum, but wanted to get some feedback from the RX people.

My wife is in need of a new car. We (my primary car) currently have an '11 LS460L with all the options besides the Lane Keep Assist, Driver Attention Monitor, and Executive Seating. She likes this car, but she is also of the opinion that newer is better (she just feels a sense of security of getting a new car and knowing that nothing is supposed to go wrong with it) and after having driven a brand new loaded RX350 she liked that car quite a bit too. Obviously the LS and the RX are drastically different, yet another loaded '14 LS460L with more option than an optioned out RX can be had for about the same price.

Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, the LS has a buttery smooth ride, ample legroom for getting two small kids in and out of their car seats, automatic rear shades, driver attention monitor (available on the one that we are looking at), better interior, exclusivity. On the other hand, the RX is newer, has a larger trunk, higher off the ground.

So what are some of your thoughts on where these cars stack up. Assuming that cargo room is not the deciding factor, what are some other reasons that you would favor one over the other. Or really any other feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Y
You're comparing apples to oranges. I think you need to figure out what you want and what the wife wants and go from there. The RX is great. I love it. I'm 6'3 and my previous car was a small coupe. I love being able to step into a car instead of step down. I also have two dogs who need their space. I also do tons of costco trips so having the extra room helps.

The new LS is amazing. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still choose the RX because it's more practical. But I would love both. If you want more luxury above else, then the LS is your choice. It's also way more expensive, starting will be 75,000
Old 09-18-17, 09:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
You're comparing apples to oranges. I think you need to figure out what you want and what the wife wants and go from there. The RX is great. I love it. I'm 6'3 and my previous car was a small coupe. I love being able to step into a car instead of step down. I also have two dogs who need their space. I also do tons of costco trips so having the extra room helps.

The new LS is amazing. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still choose the RX because it's more practical. But I would love both. If you want more luxury above else, then the LS is your choice. It's also way more expensive, starting will be 75,000
Nothing wrong with liking both apples and oranges . Also, we're looking at a new RX vs a '14 or '15 LS. While they retail for close to $100k, first two/three year depreciation is astronomical.
Old 09-18-17, 09:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

In this case, I'd buy the RX. You already have an LS so you might as well get an RX and enjoy the added utility it will offer. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-18-17, 10:08 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
If I buy another Lexus for ME then I'll get the LS; however, if I buy one for my wife then she would want the RX (something about higher sitting position).
And higher ground clearance. Small statue woman may have little problem for entry/exit on RX. If I were given a chance to choose between LS and RX, LS for sure.
Old 09-18-17, 12:31 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife hated driving my LS. For her it was too big, too quiet, and too hard to see out of. She loves driving the RX. She is 5'4" tall and has no problem getting in or out and likes the high seating. She is normally not into high tech, but she uses the 360 degree camera a lot.
Steve
Old 09-18-17, 12:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Nothing wrong with liking both apples and oranges . Also, we're looking at a new RX vs a '14 or '15 LS. While they retail for close to $100k, first two/three year depreciation is astronomical.
Add some grapes and cherries for a nice fruit salad. Depreciation always a killer first few years.
Old 09-18-17, 02:15 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Once you are used to large SUV, it will be harder to go back to sedan. We used to drive both LX450 & Acura MDX, now my wife is complaining that the RX450h is a bit too small now. But I like the RX better than the LX450.
Old 09-20-17, 08:18 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally for me (and since you're a LS owner as well) I think the LS is the better choice, someone would have taken the brunt of the depreciation, the ride quality of the LS is like no other including the RX.

That said, my wife is a SUV fan and hates sitting down low where the RX would edge the LS out.

RX is more practical, LS is the better vehicle (arguably...at least for me). I think you can get a better deal out of the LS too (used cars usually have more room to negotiate than a new car).