RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Upgraded Stabilizer Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 08:22 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Upgraded Stabilizer Bars?

Hello, new to this forum; first time Lexus owner. I moved from a VW Touareg to an RX450H. The VW suffered constant breakdowns and very expensive repairs; new $11,000 engine at 35k miles, out of warranty, and that was just one of many major repairs with horrible support from VW. Never Again!

I love the RX but I’m somewhat disappointed with the handling. After the Touareg, I feel like I have to take corners slower due to body roll. Has anyone upgraded to stiffer stabilizer bar(s)? I’m not looking for racecar stability, just something that will keep the car from leaning so much in curves.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket source for upgraded RX stabilizer bars?
Thanks!
Old 09-13-17, 08:43 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Nope, but if you find them I think this would be a great upgrade. Agree with you she's no corner carver....but I knew that when I bought it.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 09:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I remember putting HD stabilizer bars on a TR6 and the ride went from firm to harsh!

Not sure I would ever do that again.
FastFord (09-14-17)
Old 09-13-17, 10:19 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Changing the chassis setting from normal to sport helps, firmer ride, more stability in corners.
After using sport I went back to normal. It's a softer ride and I use sport or sport+ when I want more stability in the corners. If I want more stability and speed in twisties, I just jump on my fast motorcycle!!
Old 09-13-17, 10:34 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I remember putting HD stabilizer bars on a TR6 and the ride went from firm to harsh!

…but a TR6 suspension was already tuned for handling vs. comfort.

I once upgraded a Toyota Solera with a TRD rear stabilizer and handling was greatly improved with only very minor effect on comfort. The improvement was so significant that I ordered a front stabilizer upgrade from an Australian performance vendor. That’s when things got harsh. I was OK with it because I loved the improved handling but the ride comfort definitely suffered. I’m looking for a mild upgrade to hit that midpoint where stability is improved without sacrificing too much comfort.
Old 09-13-17, 11:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingBlu
…but a TR6 suspension was already tuned for handling vs. comfort.

I once upgraded a Toyota Solera with a TRD rear stabilizer and handling was greatly improved with only very minor effect on comfort. The improvement was so significant that I ordered a front stabilizer upgrade from an Australian performance vendor. That’s when things got harsh. I was OK with it because I loved the improved handling but the ride comfort definitely suffered. I’m looking for a mild upgrade to hit that midpoint where stability is improved without sacrificing too much comfort.
I put over $15,000 in this TR6, only to watch a city garbage truck literally back into it. When I say into it, I mean the four truck tires were inside the vehicle
Old 09-13-17, 11:39 AM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the F-Sport and when we were test driving the RX's I did notice the F-Sport handled better on corners than the non-F-Sport RX, Not sure if they have different sway bars, but if they do and if yours isn't an F-Sport see if you can order the different sway bar.
Old 09-13-17, 02:36 PM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Supranut
I have the F-Sport and when we were test driving the RX's I did notice the F-Sport handled better on corners than the non-F-Sport RX, Not sure if they have different sway bars, but if they do and if yours isn't an F-Sport see if you can order the different sway bar.
Thanks for the info. Mine is not an F Sport. I looked into part numbers and it looks like they are the same for both models. The F Sport gains its handling advantage from the "Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system". I 'assume' the shock absorbers on the F Sports are like the Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) dampers showing up on a lot of performance cars. They adjust instantaneously to changing road conditions.

Last edited by RollingBlu; 09-14-17 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 06:34 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

TR6, that was a fun car. I remember those days and the 240Z, 2002Ti, 510 and a few others that have long left my old brain.
Old 01-27-21, 05:07 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok. Here is what I found out or know. The 4th gens RX350 in north america - handling sucks... Japan has different parts numbers for different sway bars, springs, shocks, etc... I have a non F Sport and it handles like my dad's mid 70's lincoln continental town car. It is Floaty HORRIBLE!!! Lexus needs to take note. I left a BMW X series SAV and miss it, but don't miss it always being in the shop for service. The closest sourcing that you might be able to use springs, shocks and sway/stabilizer bars from is the 2016-18 Toyota highlander. I've heard both sides of the story about F-Sport sway bars, shocks and springs being a bit stiffer and then others say they're the same. The main way that the F-Sport controls its ride is with their adaptive variable suspension (avs). It is an electronically controlled damper. It is NOT a Magnaride system like on some BMW's and Chevy's. Lexus doesn't even know or care. I even called corporate multiple times to get to talk to someone and it was a no go. Even their corporate facebook messenger page hasn't been much of a help. I've heard that the 2020 & 2021 models have larger sway bars stiffer springs and shocks, but up until last month couldn't source any of those parts. I just stopped looking. Got way too frustrated. I did upgrade brake rotors to slotted and cross drilled with upgraded pads and now the darn thing finally stops as it should. I also have an email out to Magnuson Superchargers since I see they make a supercharger kit for the Toyota Tacoma that uses the same V6 that's in the RX. Lexus needs a division like TRD maybe they could call it LRD or something like that. It would be nice if this thread spools up again... I hate it when a company shuns enthusiasts and just makes cars high performance and not SUV's. They are trying to lure away BMW, Mercedes customers with looks and not the muscle to back up their good looks.

Last edited by Emaniat; 01-27-21 at 05:13 AM.
RollingBlu (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 06:10 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I for one appreciate Lexus keeping the sport out of a family hauler. I need the floaty ride for NY roads with sleeping kids in car seats.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaSyce:
Cocal (01-27-21), gdtrfb (01-27-21), jollick (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 07:34 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Lexus has kept their eye on the ball, with the RX, and their sales volumes and reliability ratings are the proof. They offer the F-Sport, which of course is not really "sporty" in the normal meaning of the word, it's just a firmer-suspended version of the base model, with a noisy resonator on the intake and 20" wheels. LOL

Seriously, one would think one of the aftermarket outfits would come up with a set of stabilizer and sway bars, and firmer springs, to take the stock suspension up a notch. I wonder if liability concerns are preventing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
gdtrfb (01-27-21), jollick (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 08:10 AM
Emaniat
Driver

It would be nice if we got the Australian version that has the f sport suspension with the luxury seating. I’m not a big or wide guy and the
f-sport seats were just plain painful. Why can’t they option a 22 way seat like the LS460 or 500 have? It’s like the project is just half baked.

Last edited by Emaniat; 01-27-21 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 08:15 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I for one appreciate Lexus keeping the sport out of a family hauler. I need the floaty ride for NY roads with sleeping kids in car seats.
Thats where a magnaride system would be great. Then it hits a wider target market generating more sales and more $$$ and more people are all happy...
Old 01-27-21, 08:44 AM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingBlu
Hello, new to this forum; first time Lexus owner. I moved from a VW Touareg to an RX450H. The VW suffered constant breakdowns and very expensive repairs; new $11,000 engine at 35k miles, out of warranty, and that was just one of many major repairs with horrible support from VW. Never Again!

I love the RX but I’m somewhat disappointed with the handling. After the Touareg, I feel like I have to take corners slower due to body roll. Has anyone upgraded to stiffer stabilizer bar(s)? I’m not looking for racecar stability, just something that will keep the car from leaning so much in curves.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket source for upgraded RX stabilizer bars?
Thanks!
I had had a Touareg for extremely happy7 years. Not a single hiccup. I sold it to my friend in favor of X5. Touareg (T2) was the best car build from ALL I ever owned. Sorry for your experience((( You must have had V8, right?

Quick Reply: Upgraded Stabilizer Bars?