RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Has anyone added a sub to the ML system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 04:40 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I was planning on doing so. Wait a little for the factory sub to break in. It gets a lot better. The lows and mids are there now.

I have a JL sub sitting in my house because I am happy with the factory ML set up now.

But you would need a mono amp, sub, enclosure and a 2 channel line out converter.
Sub woofer is handling mid range? Real sub woofer usually starts working at around 100Hz and below. Instead of hearing such a low frequency you suppose to feel the presence of Oomph!
Old 09-10-17, 06:19 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The amp is underneath the back cover in a compartment next to the spare tire. My sub is 14x14x8 and Doesn't take much space and I carry alot of crap for work. I wish you could hear my setup, as I think 1k watts is overkill. I had a 1.2k watt vacuum tube mono amp in one of my cars years ago, pushing an 8W7AE. I honestly can't tell the difference in my current setup. Some tracks to sample: Revolution by Diplo - My sub hits the 20 hz "brown note" that the ML sub can't even touch. Royal by Lorde - absolutely tight, jaw dropping lows. Shotgun by Yellow Claw - can feel the bass hit in your chest.

What I love about my setup is that the bass is not only excellent, but not one rattle anywhere..... My Son has some ridiculous setup in his Kia Soul (which sounds pretty good) and he's jealous at how good my system sounds.
Old 09-10-17, 06:21 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
The amp is underneath the back cover in a compartment next to the spare tire. My sub is 14x14x8 and Doesn't take much space and I carry alot of crap for work. I wish you could hear my setup, as I think 1k watts is overkill. I had a 1.2k watt vacuum tube mono amp in one of my cars years ago, pushing an 8W7AE. I honestly can't tell the difference in my current setup. Some tracks to sample: Revolution by Diplo - My sub hits the 20 hz "brown note" that the ML sub can't even touch. Royal by Lorde - absolutely tight, jaw dropping lows. Shotgun by Yellow Claw - can feel the bass hit in your chest.

What I love about my setup is that the bass is not only excellent, but not one rattle anywhere..... My Son has some ridiculous setup in his Kia Soul (which sounds pretty good) and he's jealous at how good my system sounds.
Nice. So you just have the JL sub in the trunk free floating? Also, did you dynamat any of the door speakers? I had a 10 inch JL sub in my old car so I know what you mean. I miss it badly.
Old 09-11-17, 06:47 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

I did dynamat the front and rear doors. Did help a bit with the bass response of the stock speakers and super easy to do. The sub is free in the cargo area, really doesn't take up much room at all....
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 07:35 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I have to completely disagree with the above post....

I added the JL Audio ProWedge TW3 powered by a JL 300 watt amp to the ML system and the result is nothing short of amazing. Tight, accurate bass that does not overpower the system, but rather compliments the current speakers. I had it professionally installed, and the installer gave me the option to unplug the existing sub. What I did instead, is left the existing sub plugged in, but turned the bass down on the system and up on the JL. This gives excellent bass response without the rattle that usually accompanies stock subwoofers. I would not bother replacing the existing stock woofer, as it won't make a difference in the sound profile. The space is too tight for good air movement and it will likely be a pain in the *** to get to everything.

Finally, I thought the same thing in #3 above and swapped out the front door speakers with Hertz Hi-Energy 6 1/2" coaxials (excellent speakers by the way). The result was disappointing. The issue is that the 6 1/2" woofer does not move as much air as the current 6x9 stock ML speakers. There was a significant loss in mid bass punch. The sound was slightly more transparent than the stock speakers, but the loss in bass was significant. I took them out and put the stock ML's back in and have been happy with the whole system.

My advice is to install the JL sub with a dedicated amp. This setup is by far, one of the best I've had in any vehicle I've owned. Very neutral in the highs and nice punchy mids.
Could you provide model numbers for the sub and amp? Thanks!!
Old 09-11-17, 09:36 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693311/JL-Audio-CS110G-TW3.html?tp=112

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136986....html?tp=35834
The following 2 users liked this post by jugdish:
elimmigran (09-11-17), Gibster (09-12-17)
Old 09-11-17, 12:03 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I did dynamat the front and rear doors. Did help a bit with the bass response of the stock speakers and super easy to do. The sub is free in the cargo area, really doesn't take up much room at all....
Nice! Just to be sure, did you add a converter or anything? Also, you still have your factory set up and everything works? Do you have the navi with the larger screen?

Thank you!
Old 09-13-17, 09:25 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

i do have a rockford fosgate 360 line driver, however, I don't think its really needed with that JL amp. Installer just used it as i took everything out of my NX to put in the RX. Everything else is stock.... Installer just tapped the speaker wires to the existing subwoofer...
Old 09-13-17, 09:49 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

i do have a rockford fosgate 360 line driver, however, I don't think its really needed with that JL amp. Installer just used it as i took everything out of my NX to put in the RX. Everything else is stock.... Installer just tapped the speaker wires to the existing subwoofer...
Thanks this helped alot!
Old 09-18-17, 06:05 PM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My system was stock, not a ML system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...installed.html

The sub made everything come alive. I am an audio snob, and I am almost completely happy with my system now. I had another audio guy ride with me 20 hours to go to a concert, and he was blown away by the system.