RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Has anyone added a sub to the ML system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 10:10 PM
wefae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 RX 350 subwoofer install

Has anyone added 2 12's and an amp to the Mark Levinson system to add more bass to the factory set up and how did they do it? Thanks for any feed back.
Old 07-17-16, 05:45 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I was planning on doing so. Wait a little for the factory sub to break in. It gets a lot better. The lows and mids are there now.

I have a JL sub sitting in my house because I am happy with the factory ML set up now.

But you would need a mono amp, sub, enclosure and a 2 channel line out converter.
Old 07-17-16, 06:58 AM
wefae
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I was planning on doing so. Wait a little for the factory sub to break in. It gets a lot better. The lows and mids are there now.

I have a JL sub sitting in my house because I am happy with the factory ML set up now.

But you would need a mono amp, sub, enclosure and a 2 channel line out converter.
Cool, thanks for your help. Do you think the install would be easy to add a mono amp and 2 subs to the factory system?
Old 07-17-16, 12:29 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wefae
Cool, thanks for your help. Do you think the install would be easy to add a mono amp and 2 subs to the factory system?
It should be. As long as you have the converter so that you can keep the factory setup.

I always had a stereo guy install my stuff though but when I spoke to them about the amp and sub before, they said they could do it no problem.

I also may do some dynamat on the front doors eventually
Old 07-17-16, 02:31 PM
wefae
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-17, 07:04 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Has anyone added a sub to the ML system?

My wife will kill me but better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Old 09-08-17, 08:47 PM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elimmigran
My wife will kill me but better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Love that quote. With stock HU or aftermaket HU?
Old 09-08-17, 09:05 PM
Matthew151
Driver School Candidate

Default coming soon

I am considering on dumping mark lev for better speakers.
Most of the speakers high end speakers I had from my 2015 is350 lease fit the rx.
Scared to bite the bullet, mark lev sounds great just needs more bass. Once the bass is there, it will need more of everything else!
Old 09-08-17, 09:11 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PandaRXprs
Love that quote. With stock HU or aftermaket HU?
Stock HU. Figure the JL "thing" can improve the HU.
Old 09-08-17, 09:13 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Matthew151
I am considering on dumping mark lev for better speakers.
Most of the speakers high end speakers I had from my 2015 is350 lease fit the rx.
Scared to bite the bullet, mark lev sounds great just needs more bass. Once the bass is there, it will need more of everything else!
I've been out of the audio game for 12+ years so I have no reference but the ML is great IMO. I'm hoping a l33t 10 in the rear will improve things.
Old 09-08-17, 09:33 PM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Stock HU. Figure the JL "thing" can improve the HU.
Here are three ideas:

1. I agree with Matthew 151. If you add bass in the back, even a solid 10" like the w3, or something stronger like w6 and w7 (which would be over kill IMHO), you will want to upgrade the speakers. Consider this, open hatch and loud bass will overpower almost all highs and mids. Unless you really turn it down. Plus you loose a bit of trunk space assuming you have a standard box (not fiberglass custom) and running the amp with a high/low converter to the bass.

2. Upgrade stock subwoofer. This one is kind of complicated but you might possibly need some kind of converter for the ML sound system. Anyone else have any ideas? Start here tho: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iled-pics.html
You can get an 8" subwoofer aftermarket, install the amp ,and retrofit it into the stock spot in the back with the new amp powering it. Check out these subs: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 ; JL 8w1V3 just to start. This way you might be able to get away with it if the amp is nice and hidden. lol

3. You could get midbass for the rear doors;. 6.5 inch should do. Either get a whole component system and change the tweeters or just leave the tweeters and add the midbass with as low Hz as possible.

Hopefully this gives you some good ideas. Happy modding!
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (09-08-17)
Old 09-10-17, 12:46 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaRXprs
Here are three ideas:

1. I agree with Matthew 151. If you add bass in the back, even a solid 10" like the w3, or something stronger like w6 and w7 (which would be over kill IMHO), you will want to upgrade the speakers. Consider this, open hatch and loud bass will overpower almost all highs and mids. Unless you really turn it down. Plus you loose a bit of trunk space assuming you have a standard box (not fiberglass custom) and running the amp with a high/low converter to the bass.

2. Upgrade stock subwoofer. This one is kind of complicated but you might possibly need some kind of converter for the ML sound system. Anyone else have any ideas? Start here tho: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iled-pics.html
You can get an 8" subwoofer aftermarket, install the amp ,and retrofit it into the stock spot in the back with the new amp powering it. Check out these subs: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 ; JL 8w1V3 just to start. This way you might be able to get away with it if the amp is nice and hidden. lol

3. You could get midbass for the rear doors;. 6.5 inch should do. Either get a whole component system and change the tweeters or just leave the tweeters and add the midbass with as low Hz as possible.

Hopefully this gives you some good ideas. Happy modding!
I have to completely disagree with the above post....

I added the JL Audio ProWedge TW3 powered by a JL 300 watt amp to the ML system and the result is nothing short of amazing. Tight, accurate bass that does not overpower the system, but rather compliments the current speakers. I had it professionally installed, and the installer gave me the option to unplug the existing sub. What I did instead, is left the existing sub plugged in, but turned the bass down on the system and up on the JL. This gives excellent bass response without the rattle that usually accompanies stock subwoofers. I would not bother replacing the existing stock woofer, as it won't make a difference in the sound profile. The space is too tight for good air movement and it will likely be a pain in the *** to get to everything.

Finally, I thought the same thing in #3 above and swapped out the front door speakers with Hertz Hi-Energy 6 1/2" coaxials (excellent speakers by the way). The result was disappointing. The issue is that the 6 1/2" woofer does not move as much air as the current 6x9 stock ML speakers. There was a significant loss in mid bass punch. The sound was slightly more transparent than the stock speakers, but the loss in bass was significant. I took them out and put the stock ML's back in and have been happy with the whole system.

My advice is to install the JL sub with a dedicated amp. This setup is by far, one of the best I've had in any vehicle I've owned. Very neutral in the highs and nice punchy mids.
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 01:26 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jugdish
Thanks for sharing ur opinion.
Old 09-10-17, 03:35 PM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

I added the JL Audio ProWedge TW3 powered by a JL 300 watt amp to the ML system and the result is nothing short of amazing. Tight, accurate bass that does not overpower the system, but rather compliments the current speakers. I had it professionally installed, and the installer gave me the option to unplug the existing sub. What I did instead, is left the existing sub plugged in, but turned the bass down on the system and up on the JL. This gives excellent bass response without the rattle that usually accompanies stock subwoofers. I would not bother replacing the existing stock woofer, as it won't make a difference in the sound profile. The space is too tight for good air movement and it will likely be a pain in the *** to get to everything.

Finally, I thought the same thing in #3 above and swapped out the front door speakers with Hertz Hi-Energy 6 1/2" coaxials (excellent speakers by the way). The result was disappointing. The issue is that the 6 1/2" woofer does not move as much air as the current 6x9 stock ML speakers. There was a significant loss in mid bass punch. The sound was slightly more transparent than the stock speakers, but the loss in bass was significant. I took them out and put the stock ML's back in and have been happy with the whole system.

My advice is to install the JL sub with a dedicated amp. This setup is by far, one of the best I've had in any vehicle I've owned. Very neutral in the highs and nice punchy mids.
Couple of things:
1. Im thinking about 1000rms system, not 200-300 watt rms - around a 200 watt I would rather retrofit it into the stock location.
2. I dont really like subs with a sensitivity below 85. Im more SQ rather than SPL myself.
3. Loss of trunk space is not an option for me in any way
4. For the sound profile issue, you can do an infinite baffle sub or a sound dampener to make it seem like there is more room to the speaker.
5. Turning the bass down on the stock system and up on the amp is a good move if you decide to go this way.

Just my .02 cents. Loss of trunk space is a big no no and is avoidable in this case.
Old 09-10-17, 03:50 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

How much space does the sub take? And is the amp under the passenger seat? I'm planning on doing this eventually so good to know that it can be done. What parts did you buy or did the installer do eveyrthing?

Quick Reply: Has anyone added a sub to the ML system?