RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question on Pricing For Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 12:10 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusWest
I own an Acura now and only take it once a year for tire rotation and oil change - but price is well under what Lexus charges. I only wanted to gauge what the 18 month and 24 month services charged since as I have been shopping for a new Lexus some dealers are offering a 2nd year scheduled maintenance free with deal.
The 15,000 mile service is a tire rotation and a bunch of things checked that you do not need checked. The 20,000 service is again a tire rotation and an oil change. These even done at the Lexus dealership ordered a la carte should be $175 and at a Toyota dealership about $100.
The following users liked this post:
LexusWest (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 02:36 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i just bought a 2016 rx450h. absolutely love it!!!

my plan is to do oil changes ONLY at lexus dealers. It might $100-150. Here is why im ok with that. They will test drive and tell me what else needs to be done. They will fix any potential warranty issues that i may have!
the air filter and cabin filter i'll do my self.

and tire rotations i'll get done outside.

once my warranty is over i'll be brining my own oil and filter to valvoline (they charge $30 to install oil and filter) and we can call it a day.

BUT i do love the multi point inspections where they not only drive but tell you whats wrong with the car. or tell you brake life etc. imo worth going to dealer (for OIL CHANGE (ONLY)) until you are in warranty period.
Old 06-20-18, 03:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by goto35

my plan is to do oil changes ONLY at lexus dealers. It might $100-150. Here is why im ok with that. They will test drive and tell me what else needs to be done. They will fix any potential warranty issues that i may have!

once my warranty is over i'll be brining my own oil and filter to valvoline (they charge $30 to install oil and filter) and we can call it a day.

BUT i do love the multi point inspections where they not only drive but tell you whats wrong with the car. or tell you brake life etc. imo worth going to dealer (for OIL CHANGE (ONLY)) until you are in warranty period.
The Toyota dealer that services my Lexus vehicles does all of the same "multi-point inspections" that the Lexus dealer does, except that they do it all for less than half of the cost of having the work done at the Lexus dealer.
Old 06-20-18, 04:15 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
The Toyota dealer that services my Lexus vehicles does all of the same "multi-point inspections" that the Lexus dealer does, except that they do it all for less than half of the cost of having the work done at the Lexus dealer.
Yes but the paperwork wont say "lexus". Id rather pay 3 times the price for it to say "Lexus" thanks.
Old 06-21-18, 03:52 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes but the paperwork wont say "lexus". Id rather pay 3 times the price for it to say "Lexus" thanks.
not sure what more to add.
Old 06-21-18, 11:57 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
not sure what more to add.
There is probably some upside for us when Lexus profits from the kind of people?
Old 06-21-18, 01:49 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ericsan13
There is probably some upside for us when Lexus profits from the kind of people?
i was kidding guys.

but id rather pay $40 more for an oil change and have Lexus take care of all warranty work while the car is there.

Its really that simple. There are some technical things that Id rather trust a Lexus Mechanic with than a Toyota mechanic. In fact my front seat is cracking a bit and no matter how hard i try to clean, its like that. Im 99.9% sure Toyota dealership wont do any warranty work.

And really the different for oil change should be $30-60 more at Lexus.
Old 06-23-18, 08:18 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

i was kidding guys.
but id rather pay $40 more for an oil change and have Lexus take care of all warranty work while the car is there.
Its really that simple. There are some technical things that Id rather trust a Lexus Mechanic with than a Toyota mechanic. In fact my front seat is cracking a bit and no matter how hard i try to clean, its like that. Im 99.9% sure Toyota dealership wont do any warranty work.
And really the different for oil change should be $30-60 more at Lexus.
Strictly from reading posts on here, it's my understanding that you can take your Lexus to a Toyota dealer for say, an oil change and as long as they enter it in their database, it'll show up on the Lexus database. Not so with warranty work, that has to be at Lexus.
As far as "trusting" a Lexus mechanic over a Toyota mechanic, don't kid yourself. They're no different, other than probably being more familiar with their own brand.
Old 06-30-18, 06:19 AM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my car serviced at 15000 miles at the local Toyota dealer. In and out in 30 minutes and it cost around $31. They did the tire rotation and multi point inspection.
I found the lounge about the same as Lexus - good coffee, sofas and big screen TV.

To top it all, they gave me a wash coupon for the nearby car wash which I visit often and it costs around $14.
Old 07-01-18, 04:40 PM
jpark1676
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
On my 10K service, I asked Sewell Lexus in Dallas to provide pricing for the 5K services and the 10K services. These was quoted last month:
  • 5K services was $105.19. The listed major service was:
    • tire rotation
    • replacing smart key battery
    • re-torque nuts and bolts of drive shaft (AWD).
  • 10K service was $310.80. The listed major service was:
    • Oil and filter change with 0-20W
    • replace cabin filter
    • tire rotation
    • fuel treatment service
    • tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
  • 30K Service was $678.54. The listed major service was:
    • Oil and filter change with 0-20W
    • replace cabin filter
    • replace brake fluid
    • replace engine filter
    • replace smart key battery
    • tire rotation
    • air/fuel induction system service
    • re-torque nuts and bolts on chassis

These prices were a shock to me. Most of these maintenance service I can do myself. Does anybody have the Lexus recommended instructions for these type of services?
Do you have to have the maintenance done by a certified Lexus dealer for all of these items? Is this to maintain the manufacture warranty? If you bought a CPO does the same apply? (e.g. can we take it to an auto shop or another dealer like Toyota to get them done?)
Old 07-02-18, 08:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by jpark1676
Do you have to have the maintenance done by a certified Lexus dealer for all of these items? Is this to maintain the manufacture warranty? If you bought a CPO does the same apply? (e.g. can we take it to an auto shop or another dealer like Toyota to get them done?)
You ARE NOT required to have a Lexus dealer perform maintenance to maintain warranty but you DO have to follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule.
Old 03-08-19, 05:21 AM
LexusRX16
Driver School Candidate

Default 16 Lexus rx 350 maintenance costs

I just got second service last month, Just wondering how much for maintenance service costs, any one in TX
Old 03-08-19, 08:32 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Maintenance costs will vary greatly by what you do and how much you drive. If you follow the Lexus provided guide and DIY or at a non dealership it would be pretty cheap. If you go to Lexus prepare to fork over your wallet, they'll only take what they need I'm sure.

Generally speaking I expect my maintenance costs around $125 a year average including banking that year to year for the more expensive stuff to come in the future. Always remember if you ask for a whatever thousand mile service most shops have a "default package" which does not match the Lexus guidelines for needed maintenance (always exceeds greatly).
Old 03-08-19, 11:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Maintenance costs will vary greatly by what you do and how much you drive. If you follow the Lexus provided guide and DIY or at a non dealership it would be pretty cheap. If you go to Lexus prepare to fork over your wallet, they'll only take what they need I'm sure.

Generally speaking I expect my maintenance costs around $125 a year average including banking that year to year for the more expensive stuff to come in the future. Always remember if you ask for a whatever thousand mile service most shops have a "default package" which does not match the Lexus guidelines for needed maintenance (always exceeds greatly).
It will be way more than $125 /year when the car gets older no matter what brand it is.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (03-10-19)
Old 03-08-19, 11:50 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

You must also be the same guy that pays 3x the cost for a product because it has an Apple logo on it. I have some custom ice cubes I can sell you that have a Lexus logo on it.

Quick Reply: Question on Pricing For Maintenance