RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question on Pricing For Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 04:00 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

My friend owns both the Toyota x2 and the Lexus dealership. He will not do any maintenance on a Lexus at one of them, but will do some maintenance at the other. One of the Toyota lots shares a huge property with Lexus, the other is a stand alone dealer 20 miles away. When I get a service manager that goes by the letter of the law so to speak, I go to another Toyota dealer, that owns a Lexus dealership as well. They have no problem doing work on a Lexus.

Old 09-03-17, 04:26 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

On my 10K service, I asked Sewell Lexus in Dallas to provide pricing for the 5K services and the 10K services. These was quoted last month:
  • 5K services was $105.19. The listed major service was:
    • tire rotation
    • replacing smart key battery
    • re-torque nuts and bolts of drive shaft (AWD).
  • 10K service was $310.80. The listed major service was:
    • Oil and filter change with 0-20W
    • replace cabin filter
    • tire rotation
    • fuel treatment service
    • tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
  • 30K Service was $678.54. The listed major service was:
    • replace cabin filter
    • replace brake fluid
    • replace engine filter
    • replace smart key battery
    • tire rotation
    • air/fuel induction system service
    • re-torque nuts and bolts on chassis

These prices were a shock to me. Most of these maintenance service I can do myself. Does anybody have the Lexus recommended instructions for these type of services?
The following users liked this post:
jpark1676 (07-01-18)
Old 09-03-17, 05:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
On my 10K service, I asked Sewell Lexus in Dallas to provide pricing for the 5K services and the 10K services. These was quoted last month:
    • tire rotation
    • replace cabin filter
    • tire rotation
    • fuel treatment service
    • replace cabin filter
    • replace brake fluid
    • replace engine filter
    • tire rotation

These prices were a shock to me. Most of these maintenance service I can do myself. Does anybody have the Lexus recommended instructions for these type of services?
that is nuts. Smart key battery replacement at 5k - that can't be correct. Those batteries are good for three years based on my past experience. Replace it at 2 years if you want to be conservative.
Old 09-03-17, 06:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
that is nuts. Smart key battery replacement at 5k - that can't be correct. Those batteries are good for three years based on my past experience. Replace it at 2 years if you want to be conservative.
Not only is the smart key battery likely to last several years, but you can buy a replacement battery at Walmart for a couple of dollars and put it in the smart key yourself in about 2 minutes.
Old 09-03-17, 07:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Not only is the smart key battery likely to last several years, but you can buy a replacement battery at Walmart for a couple of dollars and put it in the smart key yourself in about 2 minutes.
I bought two at the local supermarket and replaced both for our other car. Two minutes about right.
Old 09-08-17, 09:30 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
    • tire rotation
    • replace cabin filter
    • tire rotation
    • fuel treatment service
    • replace cabin filter
    • replace brake fluid
    • replace engine filter
    • tire rotation

INSANE! That's why they call them Stealers.
Old 09-11-17, 07:38 AM
nicheel8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about to purchase a brand new RX 350. Maintenance is not included with a new vehicle for the first 2 years?

New Toyotas include free maintenance for the first 2 years/24k miles.
Old 09-11-17, 09:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by nicheel8
We are about to purchase a brand new RX 350. Maintenance is not included with a new vehicle for the first 2 years?

New Toyotas include free maintenance for the first 2 years/24k miles.
In my opinion I would not purchase the two year mtce plan for your Lexus. There is a thread about this subject. You can have service performed at a Toyota dealer for half the price. They should be doing at least the first service check free. I also thought in the States the first oil change is free.

When Toyota includes it for free, they just add it in to the cost of the car so it looks free...
nicheel8 (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 12:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
In my opinion I would not purchase the two year mtce plan for your Lexus. There is a thread about this subject. You can have service performed at a Toyota dealer for half the price. They should be doing at least the first service check free. I also thought in the States the first oil change is free.

When Toyota includes it for free, they just add it in to the cost of the car so it looks free...
First two years are oil changes and perhaps a cabin filter, tire rotation and maybe an engine air filter. Not much really.
Old 09-12-17, 02:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor. This has worked for me for both our cars for over a million miles with zero problems.
rcworks (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 01:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor. This has worked for me for both our cars for over a million miles with zero problems.
Well said. Once a year seems too often for the fob battery - I just replaced the ones in our other car and they were still fine at 3 years plus.
Old 10-02-17, 09:03 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't mind paying more for service at my Lexus dealer; they have ice cubes in the urinals!
Attached Thumbnails Question on Pricing For Maintenance-potti-ice.jpg  
ggebhardt (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 09:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx
I don't mind paying more for service at my Lexus dealer; they have ice cubes in the urinals!
I thought when they cooked my breakfast I was doing good and now I find out there was ice in the urinals!
Old 10-02-17, 11:28 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I thought when they cooked my breakfast I was doing good and now I find out there was ice in the urinals!
An interesting variation of "on the rocks"
Old 10-02-17, 11:50 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Gonna take my baby to the toyota dealer near here in Irvine. I bought my own oil from costco, it's on sale now, and I'll buy a few filters from factory lexus parts with the cl5 discount code.

I asked and they said it would cost about $30 to change the oil. I also checked out a local mechanic who charges 27.00 to change the oil if you bring your own. I really like this toyota so I'll prob go with them!

Quick Reply: Question on Pricing For Maintenance