RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question: Has anyone done these upgrades or attempted these things?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 10:13 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question: Has anyone done these upgrades or attempted these things?

Hi guys, new to the forum. I tried to search a few things and haven't come up with the answers I was looking for so I figured I'd ask you guys directly.

1. Has anyone done a new battery install? Every car that I have owned, I changed to an optima yellow top right from the get go. I need to find the right sized battery and cant seem to find reliable information on the size or model number that is needed for the 4th gen RX.
2. Also has anyone attempted the BIG 3 upgrade (changing the grounding cables from battery-chassis, distributor block-chassis, and alternator to chassis [as well as running a new power wire from the alternator to the battery]). If so is there an "how-to" guide on how to do so? If anyone has had experience with this, how difficult was it to access all the areas needed for the BIG 3.
3. Without the Ensuite app, has anyone successfully remote started the car from the key fob? I attempted the "press lock button switch, press third time and hold for 3 seconds." This does nothing. Maybe the mode needs to be enabled on the car somehow?
4. Has anyone successfully rolled down their windows using only the key fob?

I have a few other things I wanted to ask but figured this is a good start. Thanks for any feedback and excuse my n00bness. I promise to post pics of anything that I have done to the car as time goes on. Thanks!

EDIT BTW, figured I'd ask one more question. I have the navi package and I noticed that it may have DVD playback. Has anyone hacked the screen to allow an hdmi connection (or something similiar) in order to display off of a phone or computer? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by PandaRXprs; 09-01-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 10:19 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

3 and 4 are not upgrades it is features that are working as designed no issues on my end.
Would you explain why you feel there is a need for 1 and 2. What is the purpose and gains? I am puzzled. Thank you.
Old 08-31-17, 10:27 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oldfart
3 and 4 are not upgrades it is features that are working as designed no issues on my end.
Would you explain why you feel there is a need for 1 and 2. What is the purpose and gains? I am puzzled. Thank you.
Hey, what exactly are you doing to get 3 and 4 to work? If you dont mind, step by step would be awesome. I'm doing something wrong for sure there. Also do you have the enform app which gives you those functions (like the remote start with is included with the 29.99/m memership/)

So for 1 and 2: when you upgrade the battery, electronics on the car work better, headlights shine brighter, even throttle response is improved. By doing the big 3 upgrade you will notice your alternator working better with less stress and most electronic in the car working more efficiently. If you were to test the output from the accessories before and after there would be a noticeable difference. For example, the audio will sound better, hit better, and even be louder because you are giving it more "Clean power." Essentially the Big 3 upgrade re-grounds your whole car with 0 gauge wiring rather than the standard 4 gauge.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (09-01-17)
Old 08-31-17, 11:05 AM
dwayneir
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4. Has anyone successfully rolled down their windows using only the key fob?
This is possible but not by default. You have to have the dealer turn this feature on (or use something like the Carista app). I had it set at my 5K service and works fine.
Old 08-31-17, 11:39 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwayneir
This is possible but not by default. You have to have the dealer turn this feature on (or use something like the Carista app). I had it set at my 5K service and works fine.
Thanks dwayneir! Is this also true for the remote start feature? I swear to god I've tried every variation of *press lock 3 times, hold the third time* that I could think of.
Old 08-31-17, 12:07 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaRXprs
Thanks dwayneir! Is this also true for the remote start feature? I swear to god I've tried every variation of *press lock 3 times, hold the third time* that I could think of.
You need to have an active subscription to Enform for the fob to remote start now.
Old 08-31-17, 12:38 PM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
You need to have an active subscription to Enform for the fob to remote start now.
WOW this is BS! I was reading about the 2016 and read that people who do not have an active subscription can still remote start their car with the key fob. When did this change? Is there anyway around it? Possibly signing up for enform and then cancelling subscription a month later. Maybe the remote start will remain on the key fob?
Old 08-31-17, 12:41 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

2. Also has anyone attempted the BIG 3 upgrade (changing the grounding cables from battery-chassis, distributor block-chassis, and alternator to chassis). If so is there an "how-to" guide on how to do so? If anyone has had experience with this, how difficult was it to access all the areas needed for the BIG 3.
Welcome to the forum. Why do #2? Are you planning on putting a huge speaker system in your RX? Why not just get capacitors? Just curious.

Also I have not heard of anyone on the forums who has attempted this.
Old 08-31-17, 01:13 PM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Welcome to the forum. Why do #2? Are you planning on putting a huge speaker system in your RX? Why not just get capacitors? Just curious.

Also I have not heard of anyone on the forums who has attempted this.
Hey Ericsan, thanks for the warm welcome! I may plan to do add a full aftermarket system in the future. I have a few other mods that I wanted to address first. Being that I have the premium sound system any upgrades will need to be with a special adapter. The more potential components I add, I will need to ground them and potentially will introduce audible noise loops into the system. So that will have to wait for now.

A capacitor is just a crutch and bandaid on the system. It doesn't really benefit anything and actually makes your alternator work harder because with each discharge (aka bass hit) your battery will be charging and also the capacitor will need to be charged. It ultimately will not be beneficial in the long run. I tried the capacitors, which work for a bit of time, but I am looking to "ground" the whole car. Hopefully that sheds some light on my thought process.
Old 08-31-17, 03:26 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Hey Ericsan, thanks for the warm welcome! I may plan to do add a full aftermarket system in the future. I have a few other mods that I wanted to address first. Being that I have the premium sound system any upgrades will need to be with a special adapter. The more potential components I add, I will need to ground them and potentially will introduce audible noise loops into the system. So that will have to wait for now.

A capacitor is just a crutch and bandaid on the system. It doesn't really benefit anything and actually makes your alternator work harder because with each discharge (aka bass hit) your battery will be charging and also the capacitor will need to be charged. It ultimately will not be beneficial in the long run. I tried the capacitors, which work for a bit of time, but I am looking to "ground" the whole car. Hopefully that sheds some light on my thought process.
Cool, I am looking forward to seeing how you beef up the electrical system and how much bumps you are going to put in your ride.
Old 09-01-17, 07:07 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, new to the forum. I tried to search a few things and haven't come up with the answers I was looking for so I figured I'd ask you guys directly.

1. Has anyone done a new battery install? Every car that I have owned, I changed to an optima yellow top right from the get go. I need to find the right sized battery and cant seem to find reliable information on the size or model number that is needed for the 4th gen RX.
Have you tried the Optima battery finder tool on their website? D35 for the 2016 RX350.
Old 09-01-17, 07:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

There are two Lexus and infinite aftermarket answers to the Remote Start question:
As ggebhardt noted, you must have a current and valid subscription to Lexus Safety Connect
to use the phone app and key fob for Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver monitoring, Stolen Vehicle
recovery, Accident Emergency notification and Remote Start. $250/year I do not need or pay
for the Navigation Assist option that raises the subscription to $350/year...use the free Lexus
Enform App Suite instead.

You can have a dealer install either the Remote Engine Start (RES) fob only or RES+ which add the
phone app. RES is <$500 and is the fob only <'80 range with no subscription or RES+ for <$1000 which
add a phone app and as with all phone enabled systems has an ongoing subscription.

Aftermarket add-ons vary widely in cost and range but generally are a better value if all you want is
the remote start. If you want to follow the antics of Valet Parkers and/or teen age drivers go with the
Lexus app. (Remember that an enabled spouse's phone can track you too!)
Old 09-01-17, 08:00 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gibster
Have you tried the Optima battery finder tool on their website? D35 for the 2016 RX350.
Genius. Literally simplest answer and so very right. Thank you.

I will look into that today AND I wanted to add this particular addition to the car Navi. It enables toggling and modification of the navi when the car is in motion

http://www.vaistech.com/product/ulm-81/

Originally Posted by mcomer
There are two Lexus and infinite aftermarket answers to the Remote Start question:
As ggebhardt noted, you must have a current and valid subscription to Lexus Safety Connect
to use the phone app and key fob for Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver monitoring, Stolen Vehicle
recovery, Accident Emergency notification and Remote Start. $250/year I do not need or pay
for the Navigation Assist option that raises the subscription to $350/year...use the free Lexus
Enform App Suite instead.

You can have a dealer install either the Remote Engine Start (RES) fob only or RES+ which add the
phone app. RES is <$500 and is the fob only <'80 range with no subscription or RES+ for <$1000 which
add a phone app and as with all phone enabled systems has an ongoing subscription.

Aftermarket add-ons vary widely in cost and range but generally are a better value if all you want is
the remote start. If you want to follow the antics of Valet Parkers and/or teen age drivers go with the
Lexus app. (Remember that an enabled spouse's phone can track you too!)
Thanks for the input. it seems lexus made these options so useless damn it. Seems like a lot of hassle for this remote start.
Option 1: Pay $24.99 per month (a.k.a. 250/year) - proxy remote start with app
Option 2: Pay $1000 up front and follow up with $65/year for RES+ - proxy remote start with app
Option 3, Pay $500 for key fob remote start only with RES - This pays for itself in 2 years

Unfortunately, after market is out of the question because a good one will cost $$$ and still add a new remote to the keychain.

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Cool, I am looking forward to seeing how you beef up the electrical system and how much bumps you are going to put in your ride.
I will keep you updated. When I change the battery I will attempt this MOD.
Old 09-01-17, 09:32 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I activated the EnformApp and the remote start began working both in App and on the key FOB. GO FIGURE! I did a little more research and found this bypass module for the remote start. I just realized that since Lexus has a programmable remote start which is disabled by LEXUS without the active enform subscription this MEANS that there is a bypass module somewhere. This is what I found and I think it might just be the solution instead of the RES factory install. Any thoughts?

*Link Below*
http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/
Old 09-01-17, 11:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I am sorry but an Otima battery and heaver cables would not yield the advantages you claim.

I just do not see better sound or engine performance unless your original battery and cables were bad.

Quick Reply: Question: Has anyone done these upgrades or attempted these things?