RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX door frame too low?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 07:23 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 4RX door frame too low?

When I was entering my 4RX, more than once my head/hair touched the top of the door frame. I am 5'10" and never had such problem with any SUV (even small ones) I have owned. Did I do anything wrong?
Old 08-25-17, 07:32 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Well hard not to say something funny but I don't know how you could be doing that unless you are just trying to squeeze in. Some times I park with the drivers door close to a wall and can't open the door fully, but still don't hit the door frame. Are you bending too much so you don't hit your head on the roof area? I'm a few inches taller and have not banged my head anywhere...at least on the RX!

I should have looked but if you have an Fsport maybe you are trying to negotiate over the bolster on the seat?
Old 08-25-17, 08:09 AM
guxu
Pole Position

While sit in a comfortable position, my head is about an inch from the roof, which is significantly shorter than sitting in my other SUVs. I tried to lower the seat yesterday. But it does not feel right when the seat is low.

I have a regular RX. The bolster is not bad. I also have running boards. Maybe I am not tall enough to just sit in? Or I am not close enough to the entry due to running board?
Old 08-25-17, 08:29 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I find that putting my right leg into the footwell first, then grabbing the steering wheel gets me is with the least amount of effort. I am 5-10 and have my seat setting at it's lowest position. Lots of head room for me.

Running boards would get in my way I think. No way I would step on the running board to get in or I would bang my head for sure.
Old 08-25-17, 08:39 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I find that putting my right leg into the footwell first, then grabbing the steering wheel gets me is with the least amount of effort. I am 5-10 and have my seat setting at it's lowest position. Lots of head room for me.

Running boards would get in my way I think. No way I would step on the running board to get in or I would bang my head for sure.
Even my short wife cannot step on the running board to get in (she tried). But I do step on it when getting out.

I will try to lower the seat again. But for me, one of the reasons to drive a SUV is to sit high
Old 08-25-17, 08:48 AM
FastFord
Racer

I bet the running board is changing how you get in and out. Also with the seat up high, you would be getting closer to the door frame area. Maybe like Greg says, try it a bit lower, not too much that it feels bad, drive for a few days, then a bit lower again...worth a try.

I found when we had our Rav4 and then NX I would bounce off parts of the car, but so far with the RX not at all.
Old 08-25-17, 09:25 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
When I was entering my 4RX, more than once my head/hair touched the top of the door frame. I am 5'10" and never had such problem with any SUV (even small ones) I have owned. Did I do anything wrong?
I have a 3RXh - and I share your frustration (and stature). I find it harder to ingress/egress than many compact cars (the wife's VW Beetle, case in point) -- but once inside, I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-25-17, 09:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

If your car is equipped with the system that moves the seat back when you turn it off (whatever that's called) try setting it to move the seat all the way back. If you don't have that option....well, forget that idea!
Old 08-25-17, 10:08 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the running board is the issue with getting in. I tried one at an auto show and could not get in or out comfortably with the running board. I am 6'2" and have plenty of head room even with the panoramic moon roof. My seat is about half way between full up and full down.
Steve
Old 08-25-17, 11:22 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I am 6' and never came close to hitting head on RX.
The NX is different story. When it was new, I hit my head once, never again has it occurred, as I know where that roof line is.
Old 08-25-17, 11:22 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord
If your car is equipped with the system that moves the seat back when you turn it off (whatever that's called) try setting it to move the seat all the way back. If you don't have that option....well, forget that idea!
I think all 4RX has that feature.
Old 08-25-17, 02:52 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm an inch shorter than you (we compress with age) and sit as close as I can to the roof and like you I feel uncomfortable sitting any lower, I never hit my head (f-sport). I'm sure it's the running board so, Is there a way to step over the running board onto the ground?, holding onto the steering should help.
Old 08-25-17, 04:27 PM
FastFord
Racer

What do you mean we compress with age? I thought we just got fatter and took longer to repair! Dang.
Old 08-25-17, 05:22 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
What do you mean we compress with age? I thought we just got fatter and took longer to repair! Dang.
LOL!! Amen to that!!
Old 08-26-17, 02:34 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Im about the same height and have the same issue. I do have the seat up pretty high, I just like the feel better.
If I disable the auto seat going back I hit my head every time. This is the only car that I have had this issue with. I think its because the roof line is so sloped. I set the auto seat to go all the way back and that helps.

Quick Reply: 4RX door frame too low?