RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Headlight System Malfunction warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 09:06 AM
Basheer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight System Malfunction warning

Hello Everyone!
I bought a used 2016 RX 350
The car has got the normal headlight (not the triple LED one)
The display shows 'Headlight System Malfunction' warning. But the headlights light up properly and there aren't any visible problems.
Can you guys give me the possible reasons for the error?
I cannot take the car to a dealer as American cars are not accepted by the Lexus dealers in United Arab Emirates.
Also, is there any way to suppress the warning from showing up in the dash display.
Thank You
Old 08-21-17, 06:16 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

'Headlight System Malfunction' warning could be a few things, but if all your lights are working, including turn signals, reverse lights and light over the license plate, then it could be something like....

Page 643 Owners manual..

The automatic headlight leveling system, if equipped, might not be working properly.
Automatic high beams, if equipped, try turning that feature off.
Adaptive Front lighting system, if equipped.

You could also try disconnecting the battery to do a reset on the system to see if it clears on it's own.
If you acknowledge the warning does it go away?
The following users liked this post:
Basheer (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 07:07 AM
Basheer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
'Headlight System Malfunction' warning could be a few things, but if all your lights are working, including turn signals, reverse lights and light over the license plate, then it could be something like....

Page 643 Owners manual..

The automatic headlight leveling system, if equipped, might not be working properly.
Automatic high beams, if equipped, try turning that feature off.
Adaptive Front lighting system, if equipped.

You could also try disconnecting the battery to do a reset on the system to see if it clears on it's own.
If you acknowledge the warning does it go away?
Thank you for your response
Disconnecting the battery doesn't do the trick

No the warning message doesn't go away. It always comes back within a few seconds if you switch to a different page in the Multi Information Display which is quite annoying
Old 08-21-17, 07:14 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

It can get annoying when the warning message stays on. I guess it's more of a written message rather than an icon light. I put electrical tape over the tire pressure light when I switch rims to winter tires, no tpms on winter rims, so I guess that would not work for you.

The Lexus dealer should be able to diagnose the problem, but I guess they won't do it under warranty? You would think they could just plug in a diagnostic tool and tell you what it is?
Old 08-21-17, 07:19 AM
Basheer
Driver School Candidate

Anyway thanks
I will talk with a Lexus dealer and ask them what they can do
I will let you know
ralokote (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 03:59 PM
ralokote
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Basheer
I have the exact same issue and it's driving me bananas. Worst part is that there's not a lot of information online about this.
Did you fixed it or did you got some information on why this alert?
I appreciate your response in advance
Old 06-11-21, 09:02 AM
Voras
Driver School Candidate

Hello, did you find solution?
Old 06-11-21, 09:29 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Have you replaced some bulbs with LED ones, like turn signal or backup lights? Some LED lights do not play nice with the CAN bus and error out. Even though they error out, the light still works properly. It just the car is unable to scan them and generates the error.
Bogey2 (07-12-21)
Old 11-26-21, 09:15 AM
Slomeee
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlight system malfunction

I have a 2020 RX350 fsport and got the triple headlight and started getting this message “headlight system malfunction” random times while driving and stay on till I turn off the engine. Nothing wrong with headlight except that I can’t use the automatic high beam while the message on.

I took the car to the dealership and they replaced a cable related to the leveling system and the computer at the second time and still the issue not solved, I’m attempting to take it to them for third time but need to hear from you guys if anyone experienced something similar to that before or got a solution for it.

the message doesn’t show right when start the engine, but I can say it’s totally random ( one time the message showed before even me shifting the gear)
Old 12-29-22, 10:26 AM
fayez
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Basheer
Hello Everyone!
The display shows 'Headlight System Malfunction' warning. But the headlights light up properly and there aren't any visible problems.
I cannot take the car to a dealer as American cars are not accepted by the Lexus dealers in United Arab Emirates.
Also, is there any way to suppress the warning from showing up in the dash display.
Thank You
i had the same issue but i fix it the issue came becuse the head light high and down level of the light you just need to adjust it from the light and the issue will gone or becuse its not the same hight of the two light just adjust the hight of the light and the issue will fix by it self and the warning will gone the same time while u adjust the light level
and sorry for bad eng
Old 02-03-23, 01:15 AM
GiGiDaBoz
2nd gear

Default Same warning after collision repair

Did you figure out what the malfunction was?

Got a quote of $2xxx for repairs to front end of 2017 RX350. The headlights weren’t deemed to need repair until the disassembly of the car. They bought used lights that told me were new from an overstock company. After installed said the warning is on because they are already assigned to a VIN number. (Which would mean they are used right? Lol) So they are ordering me new OEM lights. There was no problem with my lights functioning when I dropped the car off. I received two other estimates and no one even mentioned this could be an issue. The guy said the problem was with the socket the lights connect to. The repairs have quadrupled in price because of this. Anyone know if the lights are assigned to specific VIN numbers? If they are and this is someone the shop does repeat business with shouldn’t they have known this ahead of time?

Originally Posted by Basheer
Hello Everyone!
Thank You
Old 02-03-23, 10:04 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

I wasn't aware of headlights being assigned to a VIN #.
Old 02-26-23, 05:46 AM
GiGiDaBoz
2nd gear

Default Talked to parts department

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I wasn't aware of headlights being assigned to a VIN #.
so parts department stated that all parts on the car originally have the same vin number. Replacement parts would not. However, stated that this shouldn’t interfere or cause a warning light about a malfunction with the headlights. Just wish i knew what exactly happened to my car and sad to say found out can’t replace a map light in the front of the car and have to replace the whole assembly…would this send a warning light/message?
Old 08-26-23, 07:59 PM
alexsea
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the warning message for Headlight system malfunction and SRS airbag problem because of a loose fuse. I recommend to check all connections what were recently touched (i.e. unplugged and then plugged again). The loose fuse worked sometimes.

Service wasn’t able to troubleshoot the issue, I paid them $120 so they could tell me that I need to spend more $$$ so they can continue to troubleshoot the issue. Useless.

I did remove and put back some fuses some time ago. One of the fuses wasn’t properly put in place and after 2 months started to generate all kind of weird issues with computers. After I paid the service $120 and slept on it I opened the fuse box and rechecked all fuses. One of them was loose. I properly put it back and it solved all problems.

To be completely sure I bought VXDiag Nano Toyota OBD scanner and verified that there were no other issues using Techstream (same software used by lexus service). Computers complained about inability to communicate and causes the warning light.
bamalam (08-27-23)
Old 08-26-23, 08:14 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 252 Likes on 166 Posts

Headlights are not part of the VIN number .........

Quick Reply: Headlight System Malfunction warning