RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Performance Upgrade for 4RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 10:29 AM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Performance Upgrade for 4RX

Hello Everyone,

I just joined after buying a 2017 RX350 with luxury package.
For me, luxury means refinement, upscale materials and high tech, not performance. But being in young 20s, performance mods are quite tempting.
Could you give me some advice for modifying my car? I'm sure you all are much more expert in this topic than I am.

These are what I have in mind:

-Body kit exchange to F sport version.
-----Approximate cost?
-Intake and Exhaust
-----Any recommendations for a system that adds HP, but not so crazy obnoxiously loud?
For example, BMW 335i, Audi S4 stock exhaust sound is enough for me. As much I love crazy loud exhaust, I just don't see it fitting my 4RX's theme.
-Steering Wheel (from wood to all leather version with padder shifters)
-----How complicated would it be to add paddle shifters to a stock that doesn't come with one. For example, is it a simple programming job, or are there some mechanical differences between the two versions?
-Approximate cost?

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I would really appreciate any suggestions and advice! Thank you!

Lastly, would these void my warranty? It seems like a no brainer but still, who knows!

Last edited by classylux; 08-13-17 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 10:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

There is a thread in this forum where you can replace your front with the F-Sport version if you wish. Body parts are not cheap and there is some labor involved.

Exhaust, not a lot of performance packages for the RX that I have seen, but then I have not looked hard. Installation of another exhaust system "could" void your warranty.

Lots of third party stearing wheels out there but fining one that would allow on the current electronics to move to the new wheel and work will be a stretch for sure. The paddle shifters is a possibility as you can get the on the RX. Parts again will not be cheap and their will be some labor is getting wiring in the steering column, unless it is there but hidden. Somehow you will also need to program the ECU to know that it now has paddle shifters.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-13-17, 06:52 PM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
There is a thread in this forum where you can replace your front with the F-Sport version if you wish. Body parts are not cheap and there is some labor involved.

Exhaust, not a lot of performance packages for the RX that I have seen, but then I have not looked hard. Installation of another exhaust system "could" void your warranty.

Lots of third party stearing wheels out there but fining one that would allow on the current electronics to move to the new wheel and work will be a stretch for sure. The paddle shifters is a possibility as you can get the on the RX. Parts again will not be cheap and their will be some labor is getting wiring in the steering column, unless it is there but hidden. Somehow you will also need to program the ECU to know that it now has paddle shifters.

Keep us posted.

Thank you for your information. So are you implying that if I keep my mods within Lexus official parts, I can still keep my warranty? Correct me if I understood it wrong.
For the steering wheel, I was thinking of ordering parts from a Lexus dealer, and replace it with my current one.
I can't remember off my head, but I remember encountering one dealership website that you listed official parts with prices.

Also, I agree that there aren't much performance packages for RX, and I think it might stay like that for quite a while given the main target customer demographics.
What are you're thoughts on installing perhaps IS or RC Lexus official f-sport exhaust, or third party 3RX exhausts?
Old 08-14-17, 06:02 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems to me you wanted the F-Sport version with some aesthetic, wheel/paddle shifters and F-Sport tuned suspension. I understand the modding bug but it will be futile on RX and very expensive. This vehicle is not meant for performance.
The following users liked this post:
Judsonian (05-12-21)
Old 08-14-17, 06:16 AM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
It seems to me you wanted the F-Sport version with some aesthetic, wheel/paddle shifters and F-Sport tuned suspension. I understand the modding bug but it will be futile on RX and very expensive. This vehicle is not meant for performance.

You're right. I should have termed it more as aesthetic/minor performance modifications. I understand that the F sport version doesn't add any performance upgrade, just the appearance. But to my eyes, I prefer the F sport version's looks. I went with Luxury package because of the extra options that F sports version doesn't get, and now I want to F sport appearance on top of my luxury pack options.
And for performance, as far as I understand, with intake and exhaust replacements I can have my engine utilize more power, hence, boost like 30-80hp.
Old 08-14-17, 08:14 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by classylux
You're right. I should have termed it more as aesthetic/minor performance modifications. I understand that the F sport version doesn't add any performance upgrade, just the appearance. But to my eyes, I prefer the F sport version's looks. I went with Luxury package because of the extra options that F sports version doesn't get, and now I want to F sport appearance on top of my luxury pack options.
And for performance, as far as I understand, with intake and exhaust replacements I can have my engine utilize more power, hence, boost like 30-80hp.
Most people that chose F-sport package, due so because they don't want a clumsy ride of a luxury version, and many find the F-Sport seats to be much more comfortable. What luxury items are available in your RX vs F-Sport? Wood?

You can try to free up HP by letting your engine breathe easier, but the amount of money you will spend to what you'll get in return will not make you very happy.
Old 08-14-17, 08:19 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by kitabel
30 is possible but difficult and $$, 80 = not happening.
I think 30hp is almost impossible too,and it will be a minimal whp gain anyways. What are the options for more? Swap engine? Design a turbo? Tie the front end to a muscle car and ask the to pull you everywhere?
The following 3 users liked this post by TeKKieNYC:
chunktwo (01-10-20), Judsonian (05-12-21), lig (01-10-20)
Old 08-14-17, 08:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Most people that chose F-sport package, due so because they don't want a clumsy ride of a luxury version, and many find the F-Sport seats to be much more comfortable. What luxury items are available in your RX vs F-Sport? Wood?

You can try to free up HP by letting your engine breathe easier, but the amount of money you will spend to what you'll get in return will not make you very happy.
I have driven both and the F-Sport and regular RX are BOTH clumsy if looking for a real sports car feel.

"letting it breath" is not so good of an option. K&N makes an air filter that is a bit less restrictive but not worth the long tern wear on your engine by letting more crap to get into your engine.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-14-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 08:54 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I have driven both and the F-Sport and regular RX are BOTH clumsy if looking for a real sports car feel.

"letting it breath" is not so good of an option. K&N makes an air filter that is a bit less restrictive but not worth the long tern wear on your engine by letting more crap to get into your engine.
When we are saying letting it breathe, we are also talking about new exhaust system. I have a few non f-sport at work; their owners agree that their cars are softer and lean more as we've all taken turns in the parking lot driving each others cars.

PS Plz dont start talking about K&N, and talk about complete iceboxes.
Old 08-14-17, 09:04 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would recommend some new tires. I know its comparing apples and oranges, but when I put Michelin PSS on my e92, the car both handled better and was more comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
TeKKieNYC (08-14-17)
Old 08-14-17, 12:20 PM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input! So basically, you all are saying intake and exhaust modifications will not have practical improvements in hp? I won't see any improvements in 0-60?

If that is the case, and I still want to replace the exhaust for "better sounds," can I go without replacing the intake?

I'm new to car modifications, so please excuse my ignorance on the topic. Any piece of information would be appreciated!
Old 08-14-17, 12:24 PM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

In the area I live in, F-sport didn't come with pano roof, semi aniline leather, 360 view camera, or triple LED. Those were some of the options that got me into getting RX in the first place, so I got a fully loaded luxury package non F-sport instead although I liked the F sport looks better.

Mine comes with wooden steering wheel, which feels nice and all, but it's too slippery for me. (I have baby soft hands

Last edited by classylux; 08-14-17 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 01:04 PM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by classylux
In the area I live in, F-sport didn't come with pano roof, semi aniline leather, 360 view camera, or triple LED. Those were some of the options that got me into getting RX in the first place, so I got a fully loaded luxury package non F-sport instead although I liked the F sport looks better.

Mine comes with wooden steering wheel, which feels nice and all, but it's too slippery for me. (I have baby soft hands
in NYC almost all of those options are available, in fact they've made Triple Beam LEDs standard for F-Sport here. The 360 view camera I think is the only thing exclusive to the Luxury package. Enjoy your ride.
Old 08-14-17, 05:36 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

in NYC almost all of those options are available, in fact they've made Triple Beam LEDs standard for F-Sport here. The 360 view camera I think is the only thing exclusive to the Luxury package. Enjoy your ride.
The 360 view camera can be included in the F-sport package. I have a 2017 350 AWD F-sport Package that includes everything that the luxury package comes with except the wooden steering wheel and the leather seats. I am in California though so i know we have more selection out here when it comes to options.
The following 2 users liked this post by jay90011:
classylux (08-15-17), TeKKieNYC (08-15-17)
Old 08-15-17, 07:17 AM
classylux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
30 hp is about the limit for intake and exhaust combined, the engines are too well designed. BTW: you (and everyone else since 1980) already has a cold air system.

intake and exhaust modifications will not have practical improvements in hp?
$100 per hp is common: $1,000 picks up 10 hp... if you're lucky. Some aftermarket stuff is worse than the original, but noisy and carbon fiber, etc. sells anyway.

I won't see any improvements in 0-60?
1 or 2 tenths, 2-3 mph in the quarter mile.
Wow that was really helpful! Given what I am hearing, I'll just focus on the aesthetic upgrades if anything. Overall, I'm still very happy about my new ride

Last question I have is, intake and exhaust upgrades are generally low yield in HP boost? or just it happens in 4RX's engine.
I roommate spent thousands of dollars on Int&Exh upgrades for his Audi S5 and claims how he got 100-150hp more.
He's filthy rich so money is not a problem for him but is his claim over-exaggerated?

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrade for 4RX