RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Make sure rear hatch is closed before backing out of the garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 09:34 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Make sure rear hatch is closed before backing out of the garage

I’m sure no one is stupid enough to have backed an open liftgate into the open garage door like I was a couple days ago.

I was in the garage with the garage door open and had opened the liftgate to get something out from under the floor in the spare tire area, and then I pressed the button on the bottom of the liftgate to close it. It started to close, and then I realized I needed something else from inside the cargo area, so I pressed the button again and the liftgate stopped in place. I retrieved what I needed and pressed the button again, got in the car, turned it on, and proceeded to back out of the garage when CRUNCH! I didn’t know what I had hit, so I pulled forward and parked the car and got out to see I had a Self-Inflicted wound! The liftgate was in the full open position and had hit the bottom of the open garage door in the area of the panel below the liftgate window and above the trim above the license plate. As it turns out, this panel is a plastic trim piece covering the sheet metal, and the panel shattered into many pieces. The panel holds the large Lexus hands-free sensor, which seemed to be functional, but the mounting tabs on the back were snapped off.

I would have sworn from experience that pressing the button to close the liftgate from a partially open position would close it, but it does not, or maybe it is dependent on just how far open the liftgate is.

Yesterday I took the car to the dealer Collision Center. The good news is that Lexus sells the panel pre-painted and the estimated time to remove and replace the damaged parts is only 1.6 hours and I should be able to wait while the work is done. The bad news is the sticker shock, approximately $1800.

Since returning home from the Collision Center, I have gone into the car’s settings and adjusted the opening height of the liftgate to open to position 4 of 5 rather than 5 of 5 (which is fully open). I may have to be a little careful not to hit my head, but better than the risk of another self-inflicted wound!
Attached Thumbnails Make sure rear hatch is closed before backing out of the garage-20170810_182535.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 02:12 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I had a similar experience on a 2015 RX and replaced the entire rear hatch. When I got the new rear lift hatch back, I placed a large sticker/decal on the outside of the rear hatch window. Now I always try and look for the decal/sticker before backing out of a garage.
Old 08-13-17, 08:21 PM
kg11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet this happens often enough that it there should be a user setting where you cannot shift out of park if any door is open.
The following 2 users liked this post by kg11:
exonw (01-07-21), Oldfart (08-13-17)
Old 08-14-17, 05:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Every vehicle I've driven that has a backup cam, has made something like this impossible. I've not driven a current RX. Is the camera not part of the lift-gate?
Old 08-14-17, 08:49 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

ouch.... I thought my ding was bad from trying to open the lift gate when the RX was parked a little too close to the garage door...
Old 08-14-17, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

My IS dings and hollars when you shift out of park when the doors, hood, or trunk is open. Doesn't the RX do that? Not to mention the backup camera showing the ceiling.

Maybe OP got too excited and didn't notice. Either way glad it wasn't a steel panel it looks like, but a replaceable painted piece.
Old 08-14-17, 09:22 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Well I'm with you...stupid enough!!

I did it going forward out of the garage. Had loaded up some long pieces of stuff and it was sticking out the back, jumped in the car and drove out...Only very minor damage as opposed to going backwards.

I think most of us have brain cramps from time to time.
Old 08-14-17, 09:34 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you are OK. I've had a garage sensor malfunction where the gate closed on my vehicle as I was reversing. The gate crumbled on top of my roof. The car was like 5 days old at that time.
Old 08-14-17, 07:18 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove into the garage with the hatch open. I'm not sure why the car didn't make a warning sound.The garage door made the car close the hatch. My back ledge got scratched up. The dark blue had white vertical marks. I took it to the dealer who removed much of the garage door paint and the touch on the lift gate still works!
The other day I repositioned the car in a parking lot with the lift gate open. I wondered why the back up camera was giving a bird's eye view!!!
Old 08-16-17, 12:39 PM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won't the back camera lift up as well while backing up with a open hatch?
Old 08-16-17, 02:00 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I did the same many years ago with my LX470.
Old 08-16-17, 03:43 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by greatalok
Won't the back camera lift up as well while backing up with a open hatch?
Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I wondered why the back up camera was giving a bird's eye view!!!

Surprisingly you still able to see behind.
Old 01-05-21, 09:08 PM
Krishh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Do they have to remove the interior trim under the hatch to install the broken part?
or did they just do it from outside?
Old 01-06-21, 08:27 AM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife did it to out old Chevy Trailblazer. She caught the rear wiper on the metal garage door brace and bent the hatch's sheet metal.
Old 01-06-21, 09:37 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 435 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
My IS dings and hollars when you shift out of park when the doors, hood, or trunk is open. Doesn't the RX do that? Not to mention the backup camera showing the ceiling.

Maybe OP got too excited and didn't notice. Either way glad it wasn't a steel panel it looks like, but a replaceable painted piece.
My RX does....yesterday I went to Home Depot and tossed a box in the rear area. Hit close and hopped in the car to leave. As soon as I put it in gear the car beeped and flashed symbol on dash saying that the lift gate had no closed all of the way (not sure why since I hit the button). Got out and reopened and reclosed and went on my way.

Quick Reply: Make sure rear hatch is closed before backing out of the garage