RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Switch from GX to RX????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 04:21 PM
kt543
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from GX to RX????

Hey all. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about switching from a GX to and RX? I currently have a 2015 GX and had an RX before that. I like the GX, but wished it had more technology like the RX (ex heads up display, all the safety tech). The downside is that the RX is a smaller vehicle and Im curious how it'd handle in the snow compared to the GX. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-02-17, 04:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I can tell, the dimensions show that the RX bigger in most dimensions, except for height and fuel capacity and lack of third row.

Old 08-03-17, 06:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

A while back we test drove both the RX and GX. While the RX seemed like it had a little more legroom in the 2nd row, IMO the GX still felt like a bigger vehicle, if that makes any sense. Maybe the third row (although small) gave me that perception.

No doubt the interior of the RX is much nicer and modern with all the latest tech, whereas the GX is dated by comparison but wouldn't have been a dealer breaker for us. As for the ride, well as expected the RX drove like a more nimble CUV while the GX drove like a big BOF SUV.. Even though it felt big to her, my wife happened to like driving the GX a lot.

I can't speak for the 4RX but we drove a 3G RX F Sport through three NY winters and it performed fine. So I would assume the 4RX would be fine as well. But the GX will definitely be a more sure footed, capable vehicle in the snow.
Old 08-03-17, 06:16 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had 2 GX460's before moving away from Lexus for several years with an Infiniti QX60 and BMW X5 35d. Moved back to Lexus this summer with a loaded RX. In my opinion, the GX and the RX are completely different animals. The GX is definitely more truck-like and handles as such. While the GX has much more interior space, both visibly and in actuality, the RX isn't terrible on interior space. I would head to the Lexus dealer and ask to test drive the RX overnight so that you can get a good idea of what your moving into. One thing I notice with the RX is the front seats are more car like than SUV like. What I mean is that in the GX, you sit more upright while in the RX the seat is closer to the floor. As far as handling in the snow, the vehicle doesn't matter as much as your tires. Case in point, all of my previous SUV's handled worse in the snow here in Wisconsin than my wife's Toyota Sienna with dedicated Blizzak winter tires.

Last edited by jugdish; 08-03-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 07:27 AM
johnandkri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX to RX

We just went from a 2015 GX to a fully loaded ($59,700) RX 350 and love it. Like another pos said tires are important in snow. Not sure if the AWD would help. The tech in the new RX is awesome including the DRCC actually brings the car to a complete stop.
Old 08-03-17, 05:39 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
While the GX has much more interior space, both visibly and in actuality, the RX isn't terrible on interior space.
According to the numbers provided by Lexus, the RX is bigger in every dimension except height, so how can you say it has much more interior space?
Old 08-03-17, 09:32 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
According to the numbers provided by Lexus, the RX is bigger in every dimension except height, so how can you say it has much more interior space?
Well the GX is much more square and less tapered towards the rear like in the RX, so in theory, it should be able to hold more stuff. The GX is able to accommodate a third row, while it'll be quite a squeeze to get one in the RX. But that same third row in the GX hinders cargo capacity since they can't be removed and only move to the sides rather than into the floor. I also think the body-on-frame construction of the GX makes it feel bigger compared to the unibody construction of the RX.

Once they make the 3-row RX, I can see Lexus getting rid of the GX.
Old 08-04-17, 04:29 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

After seeing the spec compared it kinda hurts the GX.

One thing for sure, I enjoy driving my RX way more than my LX. The RX is actually fun to drive.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 12-09-17 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 06:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It is interesting to read the posts in this thread and those in the similar thread started by the OP in the 2nd Generation GX forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-to-rx.html

As one might expect, while the replies in this thread have a general bias that favors the RX, those in the thread on the GX board have a general bias that favors the GX.

Since each of the two vehicles should appeal to a different group of buyers with different wants and needs, it should be expected that, if people have made the "right choice" for themselves, GX owners would prefer the GX, and RX owners would prefer the RX.

For me, as a Generation 1 GX owner, I love the body-on-frame truck-like design of the GX. It gives a feeling of being almost indestructible, and the wider power range provided by the V8 inspires a confident feeling when power is needed to quickly pass another vehicle with minimal need for the transmission to downshift. The RX definitely has more of a sedan-like ride quality that will appeal to many, but some might feel that the RX feels like a boat bobbing up and down on waves, and they might prefer the firmer but more settled ride quality of the GX. To some, a big advantage of the RX might be its lighter weight and better fuel economy.

The bottom line is that they are two very different vehicles. While the RX is better suited to a segment of vehicle buyers, the GX is better suited for a different segment. Instead of relying on the expectedly biased views of either RX or GX owners, those considering the choice between these two vehicles would be well-served to consider their own personal preferences and needs and to take the time to do extended test drives with both vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
jwong77 (08-09-17), Oldfart (08-05-17)
Old 08-04-17, 06:16 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^^Good post...
Old 08-04-17, 07:02 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
the wider power range provided by the V8 inspires a confident feeling when power is needed to quickly pass another vehicle with minimal need for the transmission to downshift.
I felt the GX is underpowered. Its moving some serious fat.

I really wanted to get the GX. Its very long due for a big overhaul. That stopped me from getting the GX. Perhaps the crazy resale has prevented Lexus to tinker with the GX formula
Old 08-04-17, 07:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I felt the GX is underpowered. Its moving some serious fat.

I really wanted to get the GX. Its very long due for a big overhaul. That stopped me from getting the GX. Perhaps the crazy resale has prevented Lexus to tinker with the GX formula
While the GX and the RX have virtually identical 0-60 times, what I think is more important is that the higher torque provided by the V8 in the GX allows it to provide power quickly over a much wider RPM range. That is especially useful when trying to pass a car on a winding 2-lane road because, without the transmission having to downshift to find the right gear, the power needed to make the pass is provided instantly. It is also, to me, a more pleasant experience to have the vehicle be able to climb a steep hill without having the transmission constantly shifting to find the right gear.

The various versions of theToyota/Lexus 3.5 engines are outstanding engines, and, in many ways, they remind me of the small block V8s that were a staple for GM in the 1960s, but there is something about about a V8 that the 6 just doesn't replicate.

As I said in my previous post, there are many reasons why the RX would be a more appropriate choice for many buyers, but, for others, the GX is a better choice, and those who appreciate the smooth, confident power of a V8 over a wider RPM range would be included in that group.
Old 08-05-17, 08:11 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer the GX's looks, 4wd system, and v8 engine sound but the RX has better tech and fuel economy.
Old 08-05-17, 06:07 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

The RX gets 43.75% more mpg (combined city/hwy) than the GX according to Edmunds, fueleconomy, Lexus, etc.
Old 08-07-17, 10:03 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
. It is also, to me, a more pleasant experience to have the vehicle be able to climb a steep hill without having the transmission constantly shifting to find the right gear.

The various versions of theToyota/Lexus 3.5 engines are outstanding engines, and, in many ways, they remind me of the small block V8s that were a staple for GM in the 1960s, but there is something about about a V8 that the 6 just doesn't replicate.
Don't forget the GX gearing is different with the 6 speed vs RX's 8 speed. I really have to ram down the pedal to make the RX move.

Funny that is why I dislike the NX. Its a slug to me. The 4 bangers just don't cut it even with the turbo.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (12-09-17)

Quick Reply: Switch from GX to RX????