RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 06:05 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG84
congrats, make sure you test the car for drone, drive 40MPH then accelerate slowly
No issues evident. Thanks for responding.
Old 07-24-17, 06:44 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG84
congrats, make sure you test the car for drone, drive 40MPH then accelerate slowly
what does that do? He already bought the car. Better time to do it is during the test drive.

OP, my advice is to enjoy the car and don't read too much into the "drone" issue. If it's there, you'll notice it. Don't go search for it and eventually, your brain will trick you to think it's there.
The RX-F is my wife's car but I do get to drive it very often and on someday, I prefer it over my GS for the smooth and quietness. I guess, someday I feel like compensating for my size and want to drive a bigger vehicle.
Old 07-24-17, 08:27 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I can chime in...I love my 16 F-Sport 450h but just purchased a 2018 XC90 Inscription (75k) for my wife and for luxury it beats the pants off my 450. Yes, mine will be less maintenance I'm sure, but the XC is definitely classier in and out.
Old 07-25-17, 07:55 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Well I can chime in...I love my 16 F-Sport 450h but just purchased a 2018 XC90 Inscription (75k) for my wife and for luxury it beats the pants off my 450. Yes, mine will be less maintenance I'm sure, but the XC is definitely classier in and out.
There is no doubt in my mind that the exterior styling is better on the XC90, & the Inscription interior is beautiful. However, I could never spend north of $70k for what is essentially a 4 cylinder vehicle.
Old 07-25-17, 08:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

At $75k I would expect it to be nicer than the 450 just like I would expect my LX to be nicer at $96k
The following users liked this post:
satnav (07-25-17)
Old 07-25-17, 10:30 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
At $75k I would expect it to be nicer than the 450 just like I would expect my LX to be nicer at $96k
If I would have left off the air suspension, luxury package with seat massagers, and bower & wilkins system, it would have been much less and the comparison would have still been the same. That would have made it about $67-68k which was just $3k more than my RX.
Old 07-25-17, 10:32 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jugdish
There is no doubt in my mind that the exterior styling is better on the XC90, & the Inscription interior is beautiful. However, I could never spend north of $70k for what is essentially a 4 cylinder vehicle.
Its all what you're looking for as I would have no problem spending that on a new Cayman and their only a 4 banger. It's all about experience.
Old 07-30-17, 02:05 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Make sure you test the drive the one you are getting. Accelerate slow and listen and feel for any vibration drone right around 1500rpms. I did not test drive th one I purchased. I am certain I would have felt it and would not have purchsed this one.

Congtrats on your choice and good luck. Hopefully you'll get a good one.
I guess no drone on mine as I've driven it quite a bit during the first week and can't detect whatever that might be. Absolutely love the car - the only thing I've noticed noise wise is the A.C. blowers have a bit of a hum on full blast. I noticed that on the test drive as well in the demo. It quickly dissipates however once the car cools down and the blower speed backs off on auto.
Old 08-01-17, 02:32 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
After spending some time in my wife's XC90 Inscription, it beats the snot out of my car and any Lexus in terms of features & luxury. Way better leather and the Bower & Wilkins sound system makes my Levinson sound cheap in comparison. Kinda wish I had looked at these for myself but I was laser focused on the new RX for so long. Doesn't really matter as I'll get to drive it a lot too, but anyone looking around should drive an Inscription...not a Momentum. Big difference. Only other thing I would consider is an Q7 but for the same features it would be nearly $20k more and I like the look much better of the XC. Just my view since we have both now.
Old 08-01-17, 03:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

After spending some time in my wife's XC90 Inscription, it beats the snot out of my car and any Lexus in terms of features & luxury. Way better leather and the Bower & Wilkins sound system makes my Levinson sound cheap in comparison. Kinda wish I had looked at these for myself but I was laser focused on the new RX for so long. Doesn't really matter as I'll get to drive it a lot too, but anyone looking around should drive an Inscription...not a Momentum. Big difference. Only other thing I would consider is an Q7 but for the same features it would be nearly $20k more and I like the look much better of the XC. Just my view since we have both now.
Bentley may be nicer as well. We're comparing apples and oranges now.
Old 08-01-17, 03:19 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I think with a spread of only $10k, these vehicles are easily apples to apples.
Old 08-01-17, 03:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
They sell a 5 seat version of the XC90 as well sooo.
Old 08-01-17, 03:42 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I drive an XC 90 Inscription regularly and yet ordered an RX 350 . Imho way superior refinement over the very thrashy volvo 4 cylinder which is so noisy compared the the silky smooth lexus . The seats are nice but the leather goes off and gets very wrinkled very quickly . The touch screen looks nice but is a nightmare to use and so unfriendly . I'm not sure what it does better apart from the bowers and Wilkins which is astonishing. Just look at how the rear cargo blind and seat belts don't work . In Australia the volvo is $15 k more but everything is option . Lexus IS a no brainer for me if you like quality and refinement
Old 08-01-17, 03:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

20% differential. Not sure that's a fair comparison but everyone's entitled to an opinion.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (08-02-17)
Old 08-02-17, 12:26 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
They sell a 5 seat version of the XC90 as well sooo.
We'll see how reliable that turbocharged & supercharged 4-cylinder will be after a few years and outside warranty...then that $10K difference will probably slowly become larger.

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs Audi Q5