RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 04:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I think the new 2018 NX is a much better buy.

Also, 10 year ownership who wins lexus or audi? I honestly don't know. All my audi friends end up swapping cars in 4-5 years.

How about maintenance? What costs more to do oil changes, services, etc?
10 year ownership is a fair point but
To be honest in 10 years, both cars will have been replaced by the next generation.... longevity in this class is secondary for some buyers
Old 07-19-17, 08:43 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

This has really become quite an entertaining post. First, let's get this point out of the way. In 10 years, there is no question that more RX's will be on the road than all Q5's, Q7's, Volvo XC 60's & 90's of the same year combined. Like it or not, Current models of Euorpean cars will never last as long as Japanese. Main reason why I gave up my X5 @ 20k miles. Have too many friends that have spent crazy money on European brands out of warranty. The newest Volvo's look great on paper, but keep in mind they are owned by a Chinese company. Take a look at the Swedespeed forums for the nightmares that XC90 owners are dealing with and you'll get an idea of how the '18 XC60 will do in initial quality. Frankly, I hate the new styling that Lexus has adopted. The exteriors are hideous and the interiors are frustrating for $60k. The semi-analine seats have nu-luxe on the bottom bolsters for Gods sake! That's ridiculous for this price point! The whole damn seat should be leather! That being said, I know that I can drop $60k on a Lexus and put 200k miles on it without batting an eye. Can't do that on any of the European luxury brands. With the miles I drive, Lexus was really the only choice.
Old 07-20-17, 03:51 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Frankly, I hate the new styling that Lexus has adopted. The exteriors are hideous and the interiors are frustrating for $60k. The semi-analine seats have nu-luxe on the bottom bolsters for Gods sake! That's ridiculous for this price point! The whole damn seat should be leather! That being said, I know that I can drop $60k on a Lexus and put 200k miles on it without batting an eye. Can't do that on any of the European luxury brands. With the miles I drive, Lexus was really the only choice.
I agree 100% but just can not buy an RX or NX. Lexus in order to shake the to conservative styling has done a 180. They might have successfully targeted the younger audience but lost some of the older loyal buyers, by the way in most cases have more money. Reading many many post most males like the new aggressive styling and women do not. Post after post have been my wife hates the new front grill. Mine included. I have observed at least 75% of drivers of the RX and NX are women.

Go out to other sites like YouTube, Road & Track etc and read the comments from articles or clips that are reviewing the RX or NX. They are 9 to 1 against the new styling especially the front grill. The comments are vicious.

I thought I would be a Lexus owner for life. It is a no brainer with six years in a row #1 in dependability by J D Power. Another survey found Lexus to be the third cheapest to maintain. I thought that I could always just look down at the ground while entering one but than once in the car I still have to look at the interior.

The Volvo XC60 is getting tremendous reviews and hear what you say about their reliability. IMO the interior and exterior is far superior in looks. The plug-in hybrid will get 30 miles on all electric than 50 mpg after. J D Power ranks them right at the industry average. I always buy my cars used and about one year old. Based on your comment, I just looked at their certified warranty on used cars. It is 7 years and 100,000 miles. That would cover me the whole time.

Last edited by Freds430; 07-20-17 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 03:55 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
This has really become quite an entertaining post. First, let's get this point out of the way. In 10 years, there is no question that more RX's will be on the road than all Q5's, Q7's, Volvo XC 60's & 90's of the same year combined. Like it or not, Current models of Euorpean cars will never last as long as Japanese. Main reason why I gave up my X5 @ 20k miles. Have too many friends that have spent crazy money on European brands out of warranty. The newest Volvo's look great on paper, but keep in mind they are owned by a Chinese company. Take a look at the Swedespeed forums for the nightmares that XC90 owners are dealing with and you'll get an idea of how the '18 XC60 will do in initial quality. Frankly, I hate the new styling that Lexus has adopted. The exteriors are hideous and the interiors are frustrating for $60k. The semi-analine seats have nu-luxe on the bottom bolsters for Gods sake! That's ridiculous for this price point! The whole damn seat should be leather! That being said, I know that I can drop $60k on a Lexus and put 200k miles on it without batting an eye. Can't do that on any of the European luxury brands. With the miles I drive, Lexus was really the only choice.
Wish I felt the same way. Lexus maybe reliable but that doesn't mean its engineered well. Between myself and my wife we have owned 30 + new cars. This is the only one that has a major issue that the dealer can not resolve. What does that say.
To me it means we dont care if your unhappy or your car is not performing as others. As long as its not breaking down your on your own. So reliable maybe but that doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 07-20-17, 06:04 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks is a question of taste. I don't like the look of the Volvos.

And let me tell you that when I am on the road, I see many head turn.
Old 07-20-17, 06:29 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Looks is a question of taste. I don't like the look of the Volvos.

And let me tell you that when I am on the road, I see many head turn.
Really!!!

Old 07-20-17, 06:34 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
Really!!!

Especially the interior of the Volvo. Looks like a cheap american car...

Mine is silver too!

Old 07-20-17, 06:46 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Especially the interior of the Volvo. Looks like a cheap american car...

Mine is silver too!

But when 60% of your front grill is black plastic and you have black plastic around your wheel wells that does not look cheap!!!! Remember taste are to each their own!!!

Last edited by Freds430; 07-20-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 06:56 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

But when 60% of your front grill is black plastic and you have black plastic around your wheel wells that does not look cheap!!!! Remember taste are to each their own!!!
Well look again... The grill is dark grey metalic paint. The bottom part is black plastic.

And my wheel is wood and leather.
Old 07-20-17, 07:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Unless you were talking about the Volvo?
Old 07-20-17, 08:07 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have observed at least 75% of drivers of the RX and NX are women.
I guess that was one of the reasons Lexus made the style change.
Old 07-20-17, 08:20 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

I have observed at least 75% of drivers of the RX and NX are women.
In my case I take the train to commute and my wife drives the RX...
One more in you statistics!

But when I need to take the car or we are going somewhere togheter, I get to drive it!
Old 07-20-17, 08:33 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks are definately in the eyes of the beholder. Be Honest....That's a nice looking Volvo.
As much I admire Lexus I haven't met one women that said the new grills look nice.
Attached Thumbnails RX 350 vs Audi Q5-volvo.jpg  
Old 07-20-17, 08:49 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by rogers2
Looks are definately in the eyes of the beholder. Be Honest....That's a nice looking Volvo.
As much I admire Lexus I haven't met one women that said the new grills look nice.

I like the front and the LED headlights. But for the rest of the body: too square. The lines are not fluid like the Lexus or Infinity.

The interior is square too, just look at the console, straight lines. I know someone who has it (2017) and I did not like it. Prefer my 2016 RX. My only concern was that the silver (which is the best looking of all colors) came only with black interior.

I agree (I don't recall who mentionned it) that the choice of leather by Lexus could have been better.
Old 07-20-17, 12:02 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

In certain communities, RX was named as THE car for Asian woman. I could not picture myself driving a pre-2016 RX. But now I am driving my 17 RX with pride

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs Audi Q5