RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 08:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Lets face it, the only reason this car is selling well is because of the previous RX and the Lexus name.
All of the top reviewers have the competition well ahead of the RX. I really believe as time goes on their going to lose loyal customers to the competition.
Old 07-18-17, 09:37 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Lets face it, the only reason this car is selling well is because of the previous RX and the Lexus name.
All of the top reviewers have the competition well ahead of the RX. I really believe as time goes on their going to lose loyal customers to the competition.
Toyota & Honda buyers are aging..hence the radical aggressive styling....which comes with controversy.

What's the alternative? Acura & Infiniti? Volvo is gaining some traction. Big German 3 is selling well....too well. They are pushing MSRP here in NYC. I know a few people who refuse to pay MSRP....also they cost a bit more than the Japanese big 3 similarly equipped
Old 07-18-17, 10:31 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Local Audi dealer has $2k+ discount on 2018 Q5 upfront.
Old 07-18-17, 11:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Vehicle sales are in a slump and between now and the end of the year there will be some great deals on what ever poison you pick!
Old 07-19-17, 06:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I just went from a 2015 3RX to a Q7, now granted different class but here is my two cents in regards to the Q5. BTW I have owned Lexus vehicles going back to 2005 and will probably own another in the future so this is not meant to be a knock on them.

We had planned to look at a different range of vehicles and were considering the RX, GX, X5, F Pace and Q5, yeah I know we were all over the place. The Q7 wasn't even on our radar but while at the Audi dealer we drove the Q7 and it was "game over", we had to have it. So that is how we ended up with a Q7.

Getting back to the Q5, before the test drive the first thing I noticed is that the Q5 looks and feels smaller inside, and while the interior of the 4RX is beautiful I felt the Q5 was a slight step above .. I find it laughable that anyone could even compare an NX to a Q5, not that the NX is a bad vehicle but it's not a Q5, especially not the new 2018 Q5.

As far as driving them, I do agree that the steering on the Q5 did at first feel lighter than I expected. But then I adjusted the Audi Drive Select setting from comfort to dynamic which also put the trans in sport mode and the steering became more responsive. In regards to power delivery it wasn't even close the Audi felt so much faster and smoother which I think in part has to do with the transmission.

The trans in the Audi was so much smoother with no lag or hesitation while IME the RX was often hunting for which gear it should be in, I experienced this during two different test drives. So while the RX may have felt slightly more "cushy" the Q5 is much more of a drivers vehicle with a great trade-off between ride and handling, even in dynamic mode. All this with a greater level of refinement..

Now granted Audi may not have the track record Lexus does for reliability, but they have made great strides in recent years and are not the Audi of years back. Granted we can take reports at face value but Consumer Reports (April 2017) rated the Q7 one of the best vehicles it ever tested, for me I guess time will tell.

Last edited by JT4; 07-19-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 09:26 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JT4
I just went from a 2015 3RX to a Q7, now granted different class but here is my two cents in regards to the Q5. BTW I have owned Lexus vehicles going back to 2005 and will probably own another in the future so this is not meant to be a knock on them.

We had planned to look at a different range of vehicles and were considering the RX, GX, X5, F Pace and Q5, yeah I know we were all over the place. The Q7 wasn't even on our radar but while at the Audi dealer we drove the Q7 and it was "game over", we had to have it. So that is how we ended up with a Q7.

Getting back to the Q5, before the test drive the first thing I noticed is that the Q5 looks and feels smaller inside, and while the interior of the 4RX is beautiful I felt the Q5 was a slight step above .. I find it laughable that anyone could even compare an NX to a Q5, not that the NX is a bad vehicle but it's not a Q5, especially not the new 2018 Q5.

As far as driving them, I do agree that the steering on the Q5 did at first feel lighter than I expected. But then I adjusted the Audi Drive Select setting from comfort to dynamic which also put the trans in sport mode and the steering became more responsive. In regards to power delivery it wasn't even close the Audi felt so much faster and smoother which I think in part has to do with the transmission.

The trans in the Audi was so much smoother with no lag or hesitation while IME the RX was often hunting for which gear it should be in, I experienced this during two different test drives. So while the RX may have felt slightly more "cushy" the Q5 is much more of a drivers vehicle with a great trade-off between ride and handling, even in dynamic mode. All this with a greater level of refinement..

Now granted Audi may not have the track record Lexus does for reliability, but they have made great strides in recent years and are not the Audi of years back. Granted we can take reports at face value but Consumer Reports (April 2017) rated the Q7 one of the best vehicles it ever tested, for me I guess time will tell.
I want to address your comment of it being laughable when comparing the NX to the Q5!
When I was shopping for the Q5 and stopped at lexus the salesmanager told me the Lexus comparison to the Q5 was the NX.
This was based on similar size and both having 4cyl Turbos. The RX was larger and more expensive and has a 6cyl. I don't think its laughable at all.
Old 07-19-17, 10:16 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I want to address your comment of it being laughable when comparing the NX to the Q5!
When I was shopping for the Q5 and stopped at lexus the salesmanager told me the Lexus comparison to the Q5 was the NX.
This was based on similar size and both having 4cyl Turbos. The RX was larger and more expensive and has a 6cyl. I don't think its laughable at all.

You may not think it's laughable and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. And IMO after just sitting in a 2018 Q5 the NX doesn't compare to it from a refinement standpoint.. After having driven both, my OPINION only grows stronger that the 2018 Q5 is a cut above the NX. On paper they may be comparable spec wise, but as I said, IMO from a refinement standpoint in the real-world and not on paper they aren't close.
Old 07-19-17, 10:28 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, 2018 NX was redesigned too, which is basically a smaller RX. IMHO, 2018 Q5 still looks better. But 2018 NX is getting closer.
Old 07-19-17, 10:32 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by guxu
Well, 2018 NX was redesigned too, which is basically a smaller RX. IMHO, 2018 Q5 still looks better. But 2018 NX is getting closer.
Fair enough..
Old 07-19-17, 10:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Local Audi dealer has $2k+ discount on 2018 Q5 upfront.
I was offered a new Q% for 2,600 off MSRP which was around $50K.
Old 07-19-17, 10:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Comparable in that both have the 2.0 but the NX is noticeably tighter inside. I drove both this past weekend.
Old 07-19-17, 10:58 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Lexus NX versus Audi q5 Guess I was wrong...Lol

Old 07-19-17, 11:20 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

That video sounds more like a Lexus commercial than a car review!
Old 07-19-17, 11:40 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickL
That video sounds more like a Lexus commercial than a car review!
True, but Lexus wants it to be a direct competitor to the Q5. I agree that the Q5 is nicer, but it still falls in the class of the NX.
Mabe the 2018 NX will come closer in refinement to the Q5, who knows.
Old 07-19-17, 12:37 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the new 2018 NX is a much better buy.

Also, 10 year ownership who wins lexus or audi? I honestly don't know. All my audi friends end up swapping cars in 4-5 years.

How about maintenance? What costs more to do oil changes, services, etc?

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs Audi Q5