RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 07:46 AM
shric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

I have a 2016 RX450h which is under warranty of course. Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer that is more convenient to me and will cost less? Will this affect warranty?
Old 07-14-17, 08:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've owned Lexus vehicles for the last 15 years or so. I've had the scheduled maintenance and other work on them done at the local Toyota dealer, and the cost of that work has typically been about half of what it would have been had the work been done at a Lexus dealer.

For example, for oil changes at the Toyota dealer, I pay $40 (with a coupon that is always available) for a full synthetic oil change, and the Toyota dealer uses the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer would use.

Several years ago, I had a leak in the refrigerant line of the AC on my GX. The Lexus dealer said that the entire line needed to be replaced, and they quoted me $1800 for the repair. The Toyota dealer quoted me $800 for the same repair, but they also told me that, instead of replacing the entire line, the leak could be repaired by just replacing the bad fitting that was the source of the leak. They replaced that fitting and recharged the system for well under $200, and that repair has held up for 6 or 7 years since the work has done.

Further, when the Toyota dealer does work on my Lexus vehicles, documentation of that work gets entered into the Lexus data base just as it would be if the work had been done at a Lexus dealer.

The only problem for some with using a Toyota dealer is that, in some locations, Toyota and Lexus dealers share the same ownership, and, if that is the case, the Toyota dealer may refuse to work on Lexus vehicles. I've also seen reports from some that, if there are Toyota and Lexus dealers in geographic proximity, even if they don't share the same ownership, the two dealers may have an agreement not to work on each other's vehicles, but most Toyota dealers will work on Lexus vehicles and do so for a fraction of the cost that the Lexus dealers would charge.
The following 5 users liked this post by lesz:
17450 (07-14-17), ggebhardt (07-14-17), LSFPA (07-31-21), mrod1975 (01-14-18), tjmc44 (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 08:39 AM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Further, when the Toyota dealer does work on my Lexus vehicles, documentation of that work gets entered into the Lexus data base just as it would be if the work had been done at a Lexus dealer.
Always wondered about this, thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-14-17, 10:41 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have never had scheduled maintenance done by any dealer ever. As long as there is some sort or record that the vehicle was maintained as per the guideline, that will ensure your warranty is valid. Typically I do my own oil,filters, rotate tires, and all the basic things required. I keep any receipts for purchases and will go to the local garage as required. I have a few friends in the auto business that give the car a look over once a year, give me a receipt ( 60% less than Lexus) and off I go. They will do the same inspection as per the Lexus recommendations if you bring them the book. Lexus, Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota, BMW, VW, Honda, Nissan, have never denied me warranty work, when and if it was required.

I don't think they "do" anything until 30,000, mostly they just do a visual, and change the oil.
Guessing brake fluid and some axle shaft re-torque at 30K
Old 07-14-17, 03:14 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor.
The following 4 users liked this post by Freds430:
CHuntMD (03-31-19), keneaise (02-09-19), mrod1975 (01-14-18), mtucci3 (01-18-22)
Old 07-15-17, 06:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

shric, welcome to the forum.

Yes, for routine service, you can take the 450h at a Toyota dealer since mechanically the same as a Highlander Hybrid and warranty will not be void. It will be cheaper. I have at times serviced my Lexus vehicles at my local Toyota dealer (for convenience) without issue over many years. Of course, any warranty work, got to your Lexus dealer.

Enjoy your new RX!
Old 07-15-17, 06:27 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Why bother buying a Lexus if you don't want the service that goes with it ? It's far superior to what you get at a Toyota dealer in terms of quality and customer service. Maybe it's different in the USA to Australia but Lexus dealers Here are streets in front of anybody else and well worth it ... it's one of the primary reasons I buy a Lexus is because the service is so good
Old 07-15-17, 07:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Why bother buying a Lexus if you don't want the service that goes with it ? It's far superior to what you get at a Toyota dealer in terms of quality and customer service. Maybe it's different in the USA to Australia but Lexus dealers Here are streets in front of anybody else and well worth it ... it's one of the primary reasons I buy a Lexus is because the service is so good
I can't speak for what Toyota or Lexus dealers are like in Australia, but the Toyota dealer that I use in the US has a very nice waiting area with nice furniture, large screen TVs, internet access, Starbucks coffee, other snacks, etc. The only noticeable difference between what happens at the Lexus dealer and what happens at the Toyota dealer is that, at the Toyota dealer, the loaner car that I get is likely to be a Camry and not the ES that I might get at the Lexus dealer. For me, "having to drive" a Camry for a few hours is more than worth saving over 50% on my bill compared to what I would be paying at the Lexus dealer.

Further, in a way, I feel that the service managers at the Toyota dealer treat me in a more respectful manner than those at the Lexus dealer. At the Lexus dealer, they will try to sell me expensive and unnecessary services beyond those called for in the maintenance schedule. When the service managers at the Toyota dealer make no such effort, I feel that they are showing me the respect of not thinking that I would be so foolish as to be willing to pay hundreds of additional dollars for services that are not needed.

Also, for me, another reason why I choose to use the Toyota dealer is that the closest Lexus dealers are about 100 miles away from me, and I have little interest in turning a trip to get an oil change into an all day affair.
Old 07-15-17, 07:16 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

The service quality is no better at the Lexus dealer than it is at a Toyota dealer. In fact the service done at home in your garage or at a local competent mechanic is just as good as any Lexus dealer. My Lexus dealer wants $110 for an oil change that cost $42 at my local independent mechanic. Both are using quality full synthetic oil and quality filters and both are updating the online Lexus service history (yes my local mechanic does for me). I didn't buy a Lexus ( I own two of them) for the service. In fact I avoid their exorbitant service costs like the plague. I bought Lexus because it has the legendary Toyota Motors quality and a bit more luxury than a standard Toyota and because most of the time it doesn't require much service work. The example cited above about an $1800 (Lexus dealer) versus $200 (Toyota dealer) air conditioning repair should make it obvious that the Lexus dealer provided service is not a good deal and should only be used for warranty work. That's only one of many examples of a Lexus dealer soaking the customer. The quality of service you obtain is only as good or bad as the mechanic who works on your car. There are good and bad mechanics working at both Lexus and non-Lexus dealerships.
Old 07-15-17, 07:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My Lexus dealer wants $110 for an oil change that cost $42 at my local independent mechanic. Both are using quality full synthetic oil and quality filters and both are updating the online Lexus service history (yes my local mechanic does for me). I didn't buy a Lexus ( I own two of them) for the service. In fact I avoid their exorbitant service costs like the plague.
Whenever I've dealt with the service departments at Lexus dealers, I've gotten the impression that their approach to dealing with customers is based on the assumption that Lexus vehicle owners have more money than brains, and that approach comes across to me as being rather condescending.

The business models of the service departments at the Lexus and Toyota dealers seem to be based on very different premises. The approach of the Toyota dealers seems to be that, while they might not make much money on a $40 synthetic oil change, if they can build up a large and loyal customer base, those customers will come back to them when they need to have bigger jobs done on their cars. In contrast, the service departments at the Lexus dealers seem to base their approach on the idea that, while their high prices will reduce the size of their base of loyal customers, they will make a much higher profit per service visit from the smaller customer base that they do retain.

Last edited by lesz; 07-15-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 09:27 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Whenever I've dealt with the service departments at Lexus dealers, I've gotten the impression that their approach to dealing with customers is based on the assumption that Lexus vehicle owners have more money than brains, and that approach comes across to me as being rather condescending.

The business models of the service departments at the Lexus and Toyota dealers seem to be based on very different premises. The approach of the Toyota dealers seems to be that, while they might not make much money on a $40 synthetic oil change, if they can build up a large and loyal customer base, those customers will come back to them when they need to have bigger jobs done on their cars. In contrast, the service departments at the Lexus dealers seem to base their approach on the idea that, while their high prices will reduce the size of their base of loyal customers, they will make a much higher profit per service visit from the smaller customer base that they do retain.
You will get no sympathy from me. My last car was a BMW X5, an immaculate low mileage lease return. My first service was an oil change and replace all filters, engine, smog, etc, $1006.

Which Car Brands Cost the Most to Maintain?
Based on estimates of total car maintenance over 10 years
1 BMW $17,800
2 Mercedes-Benz $12,900
3 Cadillac $12,500
4 Volvo $12,500
5 Audi $12,400
6 Saturn $12,400
7 Mercury $12,000
8 Pontiac $11,800
9 Chrysler $10,600
10 Dodge $10,600
11 Acura $9,800
12 Infiniti $9,300
13 Ford $9,100
14 Kia $8,800
15 Land Rover $8,800
16 Chevrolet $8,800
17 Buick $8,600
18 Jeep $8,300
19 Subaru $8,200
20 Hyundai $8,200
21 GMC $7,800
22 Volkswagen $7,800
23 Nissan $7,600
24 Mazda $7,500
25 Mini $7,500
26 Mitsubishi $7,400
27 Honda $7,200
28 Lexus $7,000
29 Scion $6,400
30 Toyota $5,500
Old 07-15-17, 10:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nail34
You will get no sympathy from me. My last car was a BMW X5, an immaculate low mileage lease return. My first service was an oil change and replace all filters, engine, smog, etc, $1006.

Which Car Brands Cost the Most to Maintain?
Based on estimates of total car maintenance over 10 years
1 BMW $17,800
2 Mercedes-Benz $12,900
3 Cadillac $12,500
4 Volvo $12,500
5 Audi $12,400
6 Saturn $12,400
7 Mercury $12,000
8 Pontiac $11,800
9 Chrysler $10,600
10 Dodge $10,600
11 Acura $9,800
12 Infiniti $9,300
13 Ford $9,100
14 Kia $8,800
15 Land Rover $8,800
16 Chevrolet $8,800
17 Buick $8,600
18 Jeep $8,300
19 Subaru $8,200
20 Hyundai $8,200
21 GMC $7,800
22 Volkswagen $7,800
23 Nissan $7,600
24 Mazda $7,500
25 Mini $7,500
26 Mitsubishi $7,400
27 Honda $7,200
28 Lexus $7,000
29 Scion $6,400
30 Toyota $5,500
The reason why Lexus does well on that list is not because the service departments at Lexus dealers have low charges for work they do. Instead, it is likely because Lexus vehicles don't require as much maintenance as many of the other brands and because many Lexus owners don't use Lexus dealers for their maintenance. Also, the reason why Toyota and Scion do even better than Lexus on that list is likely because Toyota dealers charge less for their service than do Lexus dealers.
Old 07-15-17, 12:02 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Add me to the Toyota plan. I don't need condescending attitudes and double the charges for the same service. They are more convenient for me as well. Walk in, wait, get some work done, drive away, save $50. They also reset my maintenance reminders too.
Old 07-17-17, 09:53 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
I think that might be the case at some Lexus dealers...

Our Toyota dealer has one of the top ranking service departments in Canada, and the hours are great, 0600 till 2400. Unbelievably great service. My Lexus dealer service department should take a lesson from the Toyota dealer.
Old 01-12-18, 07:43 PM
mrod1975
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anybody get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealership?

New 2017 RX 350 owner here.

I heard that you might be able to get scheduled maintenance, like oil changes, at a Toyota dealership in an effort to save money on maintenance.

Has anybody here done this? What are the pros and cons of going to a Toyota dealership for scheduled maintenance?

Thank you in advance!

Martin

Quick Reply: Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?