RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 08:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

ReconcileU, while I personally don't disagree with your perspective, let's knock off the personal commentary and sweeping generalizations please.

Also note you are responding to a comment more than a year old.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-24-19 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 08:53 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconcileU
I know that Aus is a very expensive country to live in so it does not surprise me at all that a stuck up, superior than thou, consumer mindset shaped by branding and marketing exists over there.
That seems a little harsh: different countries or regions (EU), can have very different "distributorship agreements" with the parent company depending upon market conditions which include the proximity to other markets: Australia is a bit removed from NZ (but probably are in a shared market as far as most automotive companies are concerned) and both are a LOT removed from all other markets. A dig through some of the photography forums on the types of service (warrantee and otherwise), different camera gear brands get in different countries will show that pretty quickly! (As an example, Nikon USA has different sales, service and warrantee agreements with Nikon than does Nikon Canada).

To the main point, however, I have a Toyota dealership 10 miles away where I've always had good service with my old, 2003 Camry (which is now being passed along to my daughter). The Lexus dealer (probably the same one mentioned in previous messages) up in Calgary is 120 miles away. My Lexus (new to me) has 70,000 miles on it so off warrantee. Since it's a 2014 ES350 it is essentially a clone of a 2014 Toyota Avalon so no worries there. I've already checked with the Toyota dealer and they advise that they can perform just about any service required on the ES. Guess where I'll be getting service? I asked one of the service "consultants" about the dreaded "moonroof rattle" (no, I don't have that problem) and he confirmed that they got a few off those on Toyotas and the solution was the same....pop a new gasket on and done.

Last edited by Tootsall; 03-24-19 at 08:57 AM.
Cocal (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 05:44 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconcileU

This perception comes off as clueless to me. In the states, most Toyota/Lexus enthusiasts know that they are the same cars. A GX460 is a 4th generation 4Runner... a RX is a highlander... A landcruiser is a LX470/570. You believing that Toyota is somehow unqualified to work on Lexus is a very uninformed mindset. If that perception is widespread in your country all that means is marketing deception worked successfully to make you think that there is some type of significant difference between a Lexus and a Toyota.

A lot of them use the same fluids, the same engines, the same mechanical specifications...

I know that Aus is a very expensive country to live in so it does not surprise me at all that a stuck up, superior than thou, consumer mindset shaped by branding and marketing exists over there.
I'm in Australia and after having over 250 services completed at dealers (GM, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru) and I would not take my Lexus to a Toyota dealer. The number of times dealers have done something wrong, broken something or scratched the car is unimaginable, doubled oil (twice), stripped threads, lose wheel nuts, cut fuel line, incorrect assembly, it goes on and on and on, one car in particular was on the back of a tow truck 6 times due to poor servicing/things done wrong. All because they get one of the very young apprentices onto your car, he's not watched, couldn't give a stuff about you car and is just thinking of finishing work for the day so he can do some burnouts on the way home. Lexus dealers here take on more mature people, ensure they are correctly trained and won't accept poor quality workmanship.

It's not a "stuck up" thing, it's fact, the level of service is far better overall at a Lexus dealership
Old 03-24-19, 05:58 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

Doesnt sound like Lexus dealers are phenomenal more like your Toyota dealers are horrible.

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I'm in Australia and after having over 250 services completed at dealers (GM, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru) and I would not take my Lexus to a Toyota dealer. The number of times dealers have done something wrong, broken something or scratched the car is unimaginable, doubled oil (twice), stripped threads, lose wheel nuts, cut fuel line, incorrect assembly, it goes on and on and on, one car in particular was on the back of a tow truck 6 times due to poor servicing/things done wrong. All because they get one of the very young apprentices onto your car, he's not watched, couldn't give a stuff about you car and is just thinking of finishing work for the day so he can do some burnouts on the way home. Lexus dealers here take on more mature people, ensure they are correctly trained and won't accept poor quality workmanship.

It's not a "stuck up" thing, it's fact, the level of service is far better overall at a Lexus dealership
Old 03-24-19, 09:48 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I own an 2017 RX350 and a 2014 ES350. I have been doing my oil changes on all of my cars for nearly 50 years. I finally decided it was time to let someone else do this work. I got a free oil change at Lexus after 12 months for my new (2017) RX, but they overfilled. So listening to all of the raves about using a Toyota dealer I decided to try one. I brought my 2014 ES-350 to Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn, NJ. I brought my own oil 6 quarts of Royal Purple (not to save money but because I believe it is a superior oil to Toyota's/Lexus' synthetic - which is similar to Mobil 1) and I was very pleased with the service and customer waiting area (nicer and less congested than at our local Lexus dealer). I paid $61 for the oil change (with their filter) and a tire rotation. They also measured my tire depth tread and brake pad thickness on all 4 sides and I got a free wash. With their current online promotion I could have gotten it at a similar price which would have included Toyota oil and a bunch of other underhood and underbody checks, but I was very happy with the service I got and the professionalism of this group. I also had a very nice chat with Mike Elston, their Service and Parts Director. I'll be bringing my 2017 RX-350 to them next. I just thought they deserved an attaboy
glen is great small town dealer. We moved away few years back, but when our family lived close we bought three new Toyotas from them through the years and serviced there too.
Old 06-02-19, 01:58 PM
jmano1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Why bother buying a Lexus if you don't want the service that goes with it ? It's far superior to what you get at a Toyota dealer in terms of quality and customer service. Maybe it's different in the USA to Australia but Lexus dealers Here are streets in front of anybody else and well worth it ... it's one of the primary reasons I buy a Lexus is because the service is so good
Unfortunately the nearest Lexus dealership is about 90 miles away. My time is worth something, plus my gas.
Old 06-02-19, 03:14 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

I have both a Toyota and a Lexus dealer about the same distance away, so I bring my RAV4 to Toyota and my RX to lexus for service. But I wouldn't hesitate to bring the RX to Toyota if I had to.
Old 06-06-19, 02:23 AM
Roughneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New Lexus vehicles generally come with free scheduled maintenance. Why take the vehicle to a Toyota dealer and pay when I can get free oil changes at my Lexus dealer. I own both Toyotas and Lexuses and have experience with both dealerships. Here are the differences:

1) My Lexus dealership gives free loaners and the Toyota dealership only provides a shuttle.
2) The Lexus dealership is way more opulent (Spa, nice cafeteria where you get a meal voucher when your car is in for service, indoor virtual golf, fancy lounges with some massage chairs)
3) More above and beyond customer service to make you feel really pampered at the Lexus dealership.
4) Dealer hosts events such as wine tasting, sushi tasting, bring in some top chefs for events at the dealership.

To be honest, the main reason I stick with Lexus is the dealership service. I have cross shopped at Audi, Infiniti, Jaguar/Land Rover and Mercedes and their dealership experience does not hold a candle to my local Lexus dealerships. So, why buy a Lexus if I want to spend time in a very pedestrian Toyota dealership.
Cocal (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 03:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I agree about the free Lexus services but after I feel they charge way too much for service. Any recalls I always get done at the Lexus dealer and if its free I am there.
Old 06-06-19, 06:58 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

My Lexus dealer (and the nearest one), is 125 miles away. The nearest Toyota dealer is 7 miles away. My ES is 5 years old, was purchased used, and is off warrantee. I trim my own finger and toe nails. I am retired and like to use my financial resources to travel. That’s why I use a Toyota dealer.
Old 06-06-19, 07:23 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Well IMO if I have no dealer nearby for any make, I'd not buy a product where the service is 100+ miles away. I'd buy whatever can be serviced properly nearby, but that's just me.
Old 06-06-19, 08:23 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cocal
... but that's just me.
Exactly: and that's the whole point, isn't it? You say "pohtahto" and I say "potato". Different strokes for different folks. One man's meat is another's poison.
Old 06-14-21, 06:34 PM
valexus88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service at Dealer vs Independent Shop

Hi all - 2020 RX 450h - I had my first two service trips paid by the dealer. Now I need to figure out if I continue getting service at the dealer or do I try an independent shop. The dealer is quoting $330 for the 6 month service.
1. Does it void the warranty if I go to an independent shop and they cannot upload the service to my history?
2. What are the pros and cons of going to the dealer for service vs an independent shop?

Appreciate any feedback!
Old 06-14-21, 06:43 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

1. Sevice by an independent shop does not void the warranty. Just hold onto your printed receipts, in case the question arises during any warranty repairs.

2. Your odds of having the service performed properly improve at the dealership. Your odds of paying much more for that service also improve at the dealership.
Old 06-14-21, 06:56 PM
Nkd15
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious, what they are doing for $300 for a 6 month service?

Quick Reply: Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?