RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 06:01 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

so funny. Just had this done on Tuesday.

Bought my own oil from costco when it was on sale.

Also bought a 12 pack of toyota oil filters on amazon.

I took it to the toyota dealer and they charged me 20 dollars only to replace. THat was it

ALso I do my rotations at costco even though I didn't buy the tires there. It's just 15 dollars.

As far as all the filters go, I replace those myself.
Old 01-13-18, 06:19 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrod1975
New 2017 RX 350 owner here.

I heard that you might be able to get scheduled maintenance, like oil changes, at a Toyota dealership in an effort to save money on maintenance.

Has anybody here done this? What are the pros and cons of going to a Toyota dealership for scheduled maintenance?
I have the same question for experts here on CL. Brand new Lexus owner... Is there any warranty coverage issues if I go to a Toyota dealer during first few years of ownership? My Lexus dealer told me they "may be able to/most likely" to match Toyota service price here in Calgary. But if they don't, I wonder if Toyota service is consider certified under Lexus new owner warranty.
Old 01-13-18, 06:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

The Toyota dealers here can do maintenance and repair but are not allowed to do warranty work on a Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
mssca (01-14-18)
Old 01-13-18, 01:46 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The Toyota dealers here can do maintenance and repair but are not allowed to do warranty work on a Lexus.
Same here in Ontario. They have to protect the interests of their dealers, so while under warranty go to Lexus once out of it you can go anywhere.
Old 01-14-18, 03:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

I took it to the toyota dealer and they charged me 20 dollars only to replace. THat was it

ALso I do my rotations at costco even though I didn't buy the tires there. It's just 15 dollars.

Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 and one additional quart to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor.
Old 01-14-18, 06:16 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 and one additional quart to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor.
Hello. Did you verify that the 10285 actually works?

I tried mine and it doesn't work. It's too small. THe only air filter for the CABin is the one I got on amazon but now they don't have it. I have 2 1085 fram's that don't fit! Its weird
Old 01-14-18, 06:34 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I just have mine maintained at a Toyota Dealer. Never know that costco will rotate the tire for $15. Good to know!
Old 01-15-18, 10:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I don't get the penny pinching here but to each his own. You buy your own filter and have them do the work, they're not responsible if there's something wrong with the part. Unlikely I know but why bother - you just give them more opportunity to deny a warranty claim if there's ever the need.
The following users liked this post:
JerryT (02-06-19)
Old 01-15-18, 11:40 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I don't get the penny pinching here but to each his own. You buy your own filter and have them do the work, they're not responsible if there's something wrong with the part. Unlikely I know but why bother - you just give them more opportunity to deny a warranty claim if there's ever the need.
That's true. Didn't thikn about that.

I use only genuine toyota filters and mobil 1 ow-20 and I know an oil change at the dealer is over $100 dollars. I probably was able to do the same thing at half the cost so for me it's a win.
Old 01-15-18, 12:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

That's true. Didn't thikn about that.

I use only genuine toyota filters and mobil 1 ow-20 and I know an oil change at the dealer is over $100 dollars. I probably was able to do the same thing at half the cost so for me it's a win.
$50 savings every 7,500 - 10,000 miles is just not worth the associated risk for me.
Old 01-15-18, 12:59 PM
Cocal
Racer

$50 savings every 7,500 - 10,000 miles is just not worth the associated risk for me.
For me neither!
Old 01-15-18, 01:17 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This topic exists with every other Japanese car brand. When I had my Infiniti, I knew quite a few people who took their Infiniti vehicle to Nissan dealerships for service. Same thing with Acura/Honda. Like others are saying, the customer service, coffee and wifi is probably better at a Lexus dealership. And most luxury dealerships give free loaner vehicles.

I've worked in service marketing for one of the mentioned OEMs above, and my tip to you guys is that dealerships will price match and even honor competitor coupons. They only care about generating ROs (repair order).
Old 01-15-18, 04:44 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The other big issue in Australia, is service history on a luxury brand . If your service book was stamped by the local garage or even a Toyota dealer you’d get a lot less when you sold your car and most dealers would be unlikely to trade it especially if it’s a few years old and or would significantly reduce its value . Buying a used Lexus most people look for and pay a premium for one with a complete genuine Lexus service history . In fact you can’t extend the original factory warranty on your own or a used Lexus without it .
Old 01-16-18, 05:04 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by LordBowral
The other big issue in Australia, is service history on a luxury brand . If your service book was stamped by the local garage or even a Toyota dealer you’d get a lot less when you sold your car and most dealers would be unlikely to trade it especially if it’s a few years old and or would significantly reduce its value . Buying a used Lexus most people look for and pay a premium for one with a complete genuine Lexus service history . In fact you can’t extend the original factory warranty on your own or a used Lexus without it .

The pursuit of "Cheaper" is a north american obsession ! I've seen people at Bob's the oil guy spending $10 searching to save $2 on the product, probably for them it's entertainment. The silly thing is that people expect the same quality & service out of these cheaper products, in my life-experience this is very seldom the case. A Toyota dealer will be cheaper in labour cost, but you don't get the same level of service and you may have problems should any warranty claims arise as it is incumbent upon you to prove that whomever serviced your car was a qualified person, so claims may be denied with litigation ensuing which will be a lot more expensive than the savings. Now a Toyota mechanic is qualified to work on Toyota and not Lexus and one may say as much as one wants that the two are the same but legally they are not, furthermore, while under warranty, a Toyota dealer could get into trouble for servicing a Lexus product, after all they have to protect the Lexus dealer interests. Also a Toyota dealer will not get TSBs, recalls or updates. I have found that dealers, sometime, are cheaper than independents, also you are establishing a relationship with the dealer. On the other hand there are dealers that are dishonest and incompetents, but I'm sure they are a minority and in this case one must change dealer.

Last edited by Cocal; 01-18-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 09:00 AM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mssca
I have the same question for experts here on CL. Brand new Lexus owner... Is there any warranty coverage issues if I go to a Toyota dealer during first few years of ownership? My Lexus dealer told me they "may be able to/most likely" to match Toyota service price here in Calgary. But if they don't, I wonder if Toyota service is consider certified under Lexus new owner warranty.
As someone who works in the automotive repair industry in Alberta, I can ASSURE you that you can take your car to any dealer OR independent shop to have all your maintenance items completed and Lexus by law, would be require to honor the warranty. What you need to make sure is that wherever you are taking it to uses the fluids, filters parts etc. that meet or exceed Lexus standards and that all the maintenance is done within the scheduled time or mileage time frames as required by Lexus. As long as you can prove you completed these services and on time, then your warranty cannot be voided. Having an invoice from a licensed shop is the easiest proof but as others mentioned some do the maintenance themselves and that too is accepted (although I don't know the details on how they provide proof that is accepted by dealers to show it was completed on that specific vehicle). I know this is true for all of Canada but will not comment on other countries.

It is a good idea though, that you ask wherever you are taking it to, if they aware of your specific make and models requirements. Out of all the Lexus's I've owned over the years not a single one has ever had a maintenance item completed in a Lexus or any other dealership. The only time they have been to a Lexus dealership is for the warranty items and I have never been given a hard time for not having it maintained there, the warranty was always honored without question. In fact, if you have a salesperson or service advisor tell you otherwise from Lexus then ask them to put it in writing and sign there name that your manufactures warranty is dependent on it only being serviced by Lexus. See what they say.

Additionally, it is actually beneficial to you to have your maintenance completed at an Independent shop because they may find warranty items that require attention prior to the vehicle going off warranty and be able to document it or even advocate on your behalf to the Lexus dealer to ensure it is looked after before the vehicle goes off warranty. I even know some shops in both Edmonton and Calgary that will handle the warranty items by taking the vehicle to the dealer themselves and working direct with Lexus on your behalf at little to sometimes no cost to you. No, a Toyota Dealer or Independent Shop cannot do the warranty work "for free" but they can do it for a cost and not void the warranty. Having said that, modifications to the original equipment could void a warranty. So essentially if you have Toyota or Joe's Garage replace the thermostat (at a cost because it was going to be a weeks wait to have Lexus do it under warranty for free) Lexus will not void the remainder of your warranty. However, if you have Toyota or Joe's Garage install your Canadian Tire special $99.00 remote car starter and they end up hacking into the wiring resulting in consequential problems, then you definitely run a risk of voiding future warranty.

Lastly, the notion that ONLY Lexus has access to TSB's, recall notices, equipment, tools and trained technicians to work on your Lexus beyond basic maintenance is FALSE and do not fall for that. It is definitely YOUR responsibility to ask a shop if they are capable of working on it and many will say that they do the maintenance items and basic mechanical, but there are also some that have invested in and specialize on import nameplates that are capable of doing everything the dealer can at the same technical level. It really comes down to choice... Lexus does tend to have the highest customer service satisfaction ratings and will absolutely be able to do everything on your vehicle but there is also typically a price tag that reflects that. The money to fund the simulated golf and luxury nail spa in the dealership does not fall from the sky. It is built into the price of the vehicle and subsequent servicing.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sxelexy:
mssca (01-19-18), Ogun360 (01-11-21), ravenuer (01-18-18), ZnSaucier (01-18-18)

Quick Reply: Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?