RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson 15 Speaker System - Best Sound Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 07:34 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportWaxy
Unfortunately USB audio doesn't work with my Android/Moto Z Force.....very upsetting! I'm thinking about putting a ton of music on a flash drive and playing from that. AUX is a good temporary solution, but I like to charge my phone while in the car.

Guess I'll be getting an iPhone next!
i just use a cheap USB thumb drive for the USB source. Works great with all the folders and files viewable on screen.
The following users liked this post:
FSportWaxy (07-07-17)
Old 07-07-17, 10:34 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Pop songs on XM as an example, I can adjust the treble and bass, especially the bass, from song to song, so I compromise trying to find the middle ground.
The video in post #4 shows the bass up about 3 clicks form neutral. For me, any more than 1 click us unlistenable.
So question, if I move my bass up 2 clicks and leave all else neutral would it be exactly the same sound on every ML sound system??
If not, how can anyone say these settings are best, leaving only personal preference.
Old 07-08-17, 12:44 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by feddery
correct, you have to set the 'equalizer' per song / gender , there isnt one fit for all, also the XM radio isnt a good source , its just sound washed out, pandora and CDs sound the best.
Overall , not impressed at all from the ML 'Premium' sound, I think part of it is the crappy cheap speakers they used in the doors and trunk.
No doubt there are better sound systems out there and I'm sure this system would benefit from aftermarket speakers, etc. however the stock ML is the best sound I have heard in a vehicle and it has me listening to music while driving something I haven't done in a very long time.
I bought a '17 RX-S and the ML and the HUD are my favorites options.
Old 07-10-17, 05:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Pop songs on XM as an example, I can adjust the treble and bass, especially the bass, from song to song, so I compromise trying to find the middle ground.
The video in post #4 shows the bass up about 3 clicks form neutral. For me, any more than 1 click us unlistenable.
So question, if I move my bass up 2 clicks and leave all else neutral would it be exactly the same sound on every ML sound system??
If not, how can anyone say these settings are best, leaving only personal preference.
I don't have an RX, but an ES with ML. I could not find any setting that made XM listenable, so I let it expire after the trial. XM is highly compressed, so any sound system that is designed for reproducing sound across the full audible spectrum will highlight XM's limitations. Pandora and Slacker sound acceptable when played at their highest bit rates. MP3's encoded at 256k+ sound even better. If you spent the extra money to get the ML system, do yourself a favor and scrap the built-in XM.
Old 07-10-17, 08:57 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't have an RX, but an ES with ML. I could not find any setting that made XM listenable, so I let it expire after the trial. XM is highly compressed, so any sound system that is designed for reproducing sound across the full audible spectrum will highlight XM's limitations. Pandora and Slacker sound acceptable when played at their highest bit rates. MP3's encoded at 256k+ sound even better. If you spent the extra money to get the ML system, do yourself a favor and scrap the built-in XM.
OK, XM sucks, I said use it as an example, substitute Pandora, Slacker, CD"s, etc. and the question still remains.
"if I move my bass up 2 clicks (as an example) and leave all else neutral (unchanged), would it be exactly the same sound on every ML sound system??"
Trying to be more clear, does 2 clicks, as an example, up or down on bass, or treble, mid, balance, etc. leaving all other settings unchanged, produce the same sound effect on all ML systems?? Better yet, Is the stock settings the same on all ML systems, disregard personal preferences??
No doubt it's a retarded question, just looking for comments from audiophiles or someone who knows the ML system better than I.
Old 07-12-17, 10:21 AM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
OK, XM sucks, I said use it as an example, substitute Pandora, Slacker, CD"s, etc. and the question still remains.
"if I move my bass up 2 clicks (as an example) and leave all else neutral (unchanged), would it be exactly the same sound on every ML sound system??"
Trying to be more clear, does 2 clicks, as an example, up or down on bass, or treble, mid, balance, etc. leaving all other settings unchanged, produce the same sound effect on all ML systems?? Better yet, Is the stock settings the same on all ML systems, disregard personal preferences??
No doubt it's a retarded question, just looking for comments from audiophiles or someone who knows the ML system better than I.
I would think so, although depending on how many speakers you have, the sound might be altered a bit based on the location of speakers. Here's a good link that will probably help answer your question: http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-rx.html -- Believe this is for 2017 models.

I actually learned quite a bit from referencing this, I've adjusted the sound location settings to be heard more from the rear (2 ticks to the rear from neutral) since the tweeters are located near the rear doors.
Nail34 (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 08:37 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FSportWaxy
I would think so, although depending on how many speakers you have, the sound might be altered a bit based on the location of speakers. Here's a good link that will probably help answer your question: http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-rx.html -- Believe this is for 2017 models.

I actually learned quite a bit from referencing this, I've adjusted the sound location settings to be heard more from the rear (2 ticks to the rear from neutral) since the tweeters are located near the rear doors.
Thank You, excellent link!!
I have a '17 and my system is stock and I have no plans to change that. I enjoy XM because of the ability to hear many musical genres however the sound of my CD's is so much better, they are not even comparable. I sat in my car and in the quiet, engine off, I adjusted all of my settings and then while cruising of the freeway I adjusted all of them again, the balance was completely different which surprised me. I like you adjusted the rear speakers so that I could hear them with emphasis on the front. It's all about personal preference.
FSportWaxy (07-14-17)