RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Radar cruise control-interestingly nice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 04:39 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Radar cruise control-interestingly nice

so we drove from Orange County to Visalia this weekend.
Never experienced the radar cruise control before.
Seems you have to forget everything you ever learned about cruise control, since this is new experience.
Set point will be shown on dash. But car won't stay with the set point depending how fast flow of traffic.
Once i I got the hang of it, quite stress free watching it work.
As unexpected car pulls in front of me from another lane, sorta scary wondering if radar will kick in or I should shut it down or brake.
But it just worked.
Not seeing the option on price list. Is this part of safety plus? Or? Do all RX have this radar?

And the grapevine (steep uphill/downhill) was okay. Kept car in custom mode (drivetrain only).

2017 RX FSport
Old 07-03-17, 07:16 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

It's incredible isn't it. 2017 RX comes standard with lexus safety plus.
The lane assist with adaptive cruise control is very nice. Won't trust it to get you home when you're drunk but it works pretty good on the highway with clearly marked lanes.
Old 07-04-17, 02:47 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Auto steering

Originally Posted by kent2174
Seems you have to forget everything you ever learned about cruise control, since this is new experience.
Set point will be shown on dash. But car won't stay with the set point depending how fast flow of traffic.
As unexpected car pulls in front of me from another lane, sorta scary wondering if radar will kick in or I should shut it down or brake.
But it just worked.
Not seeing the option on price list. Is this part of safety plus? Or? Do all RX have this radar?

And the grapevine (steep uphill/downhill) was okay. Kept car in custom mode (drivetrain only).

2017 RX FSport
did you try the auto steering aka lane keep assist ?? Fantastic, steers for you as well
I can drive 120 km on the freeway just resting a couple of fingers on the bottom of the wheel without any input and the car steers and drives itself with almost no input .... so relaxing
Old 07-07-17, 12:58 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Cool

Turn on Lane keep assist and try auto steering for a really relaxing drive on a freeway !
Old 07-31-17, 10:32 AM
Lamps2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm paying $61,350 and won't be getting:
Rear entertainment screens
Radar cruise control
Mark levinson audio system
Lane keeping assist
Remote engine starter
Intelligent high beams
>
Yes you should be fine, all 2017 RX models come with the safety plus system, except here in my country for some reason! You'd have to pay $66,675 to have the full package. So it depends on your location really...
Old 07-31-17, 11:19 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Turn on Lane keep assist and try auto steering for a really relaxing drive on a freeway !
It's quite unnerving to fully trust the steering assist steer and keep car in center of lane, it really does not work too well and most of the time it fights me to correct the steering - maybe on a nice long straight road it does better?
Old 07-31-17, 12:46 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Lane keeping assist is the one option that I never use. Just did not work that well.
Old 07-31-17, 02:16 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I won't trust the lane keeping but it does provide some assists. I just did a test on highway when no car was near me. On a very smooth curve (not big at all), my RX went out the right line. The steering wheel vibrated. Then it over corrected itself and went out the left line before I took over the control. I saw the similar results in my previous tests.

But, I still use it with active cruise control. I was kind of tired today. ACC and lane keeping did reduce some of my stress. It is good that Lexus won't allow us to release the steering wheel for more than certain seconds.
Old 07-31-17, 04:46 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Note you can still use cruise the old fashioned way by disabling the radar - just hold the cruise button for an extra second or so and it turns on the speed set only.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Gibster (08-01-17), PaiMei (08-01-17), rcworks (08-10-17)
Old 08-01-17, 08:25 AM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But it just worked.

2017 RX FSport
If you will try the Tesla auto pilot you will understand that Lexus's cruise control and LKA is a joke
Old 08-01-17, 08:47 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

But I have no desire for a Tesla.
I have patience for Lexus to take baby steps to get the tech right.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (09-17-18)
Old 08-01-17, 10:04 AM
kg11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the radar cruise control and lane keep assist often. I think they work well, but wouldn't consider them as anything but an assist. Toyota took a big hit on a questionable conclusion on a technology related lawsuit, so it's not surprising the features are a bit conservative. They seem to be taking the lead on making this stuff standard (in NA). Considering how auto technology is advancing quickly, I would have liked the Lexus to have more software/computation hardware upgradability or even some allowance for third-party expansion.
Old 08-01-17, 03:25 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DanG84
If you will try the Tesla auto pilot you will understand that Lexus's cruise control and LKA is a joke
yes but you'd be stuck with a Tesla who's build quality is appalling and is 3 x the price of an RX . I'll stick with the tried and proven quality not to mention resale
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (08-02-17)
Old 08-01-17, 03:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

But I have no desire for a Tesla.
I have patience for Lexus to take baby steps to get the tech right.
No harm in that. Officially all systems are in still level 2 and below autonomously. The development and integration just is better with Tesla, since a) your paying more b) everyones driving habits are drive cycles for tesla to analyze

Tesla level 3 systems are set to appear faster then Lexus. However I think reliability wise, your better off with Lexus and when and if they integrate Level 3 systems in the next generation RX
Old 08-01-17, 05:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
yes but you'd be stuck with a Tesla who's build quality is appalling and is 3 x the price of an RX . I'll stick with the tried and proven quality not to mention resale
Model S not much more than an RX. Not that I want one but it's nowhere near 3x.

Quick Reply: Radar cruise control-interestingly nice