ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Are there really that many issues with the RX? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/857648-are-there-really-that-many-issues-with-the-rx.html)

jugdish 05-26-17 08:21 AM

Are there really that many issues with the RX?

About to dive into a '17 loaded RX & having second thoughts given many of the issues posted here. How prevalent are these issues? Are they the exception or the norm? Was looking at the Volvo XC90, but that seems to have gremlins as well.

toyotaman7 05-26-17 08:37 AM

There are over 150,000 2016-17 RX' sold in North America. The comments on here as a percentage are very, very low. Any car has issues and forums are the place most of us go to find solutions and also vent hoping that OEMs read the comments and react.

The most common complaints are the droning at low RPM (~1400) and AC Gurgle. The newly built 2017 should not have the AC issue and the droning should also be less. An extended test drive should reveal any of these issues and if they bother you. 2018's should be out in few months which might also address some of these even further.

skiracer 05-26-17 09:22 AM

I think most people generally post negative experiences rather than positive experiences in all matters of their life...

FastFord 05-26-17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jugdish (Post 9878793)
About to dive into a '17 loaded RX & having second thoughts given many of the issues posted here. How prevalent are these issues? Are they the exception or the norm? Was looking at the Volvo XC90, but that seems to have gremlins as well.

Check out any manufacture and they all have people having issues. Go to Volvo, BMW, Audi, GM, Ford, car forums...Lots of complaints from Dealer issues, poor brakes, bad tranny, cost of ownership, etc...

My 2016 F sport had a bumper fitment issue...resolved, hesitation...resolved, rattle in one window...resolved. Out of 56 cars I have owned I can't think of one that didn't have something wrong or needed some adjusting. The RX has been a great vehicle, quiet, smooth, dependable. Wish the mileage was 2-3 mpg better and wish I could use the power windows in the accessory position.

Oldfart 05-26-17 10:38 AM

Owners Satisfaction for new cars

How likely would you buy same car.

Between luxury mid-sized SUVs RX is rated second best with 83% (Audi Q7 has 89%)
And across all SUVs it is third (Porsche Macan with 85%)

mx5mike 05-26-17 11:59 AM

I have really only had one issue with my 16 RX and that was a hesitation/surging issue that was fixed under a TSB. otherwise my RX has been problem free and vary enjoyable. 6,000 miles so far.

nas2344 05-26-17 12:39 PM

Definitely give a long test drive and pay attention for the issues described and you'll be ok

kent2174 05-26-17 12:42 PM

I have 2016 NX AND 2017 RX. Both FSports.
Love them both for different reasons.
Seems to me, some here are listening for specific sounds they don't like.
Or oh oh there is a vibration while idling at certain RPM.
We've had two RX, on our third.
The 2017 RX is most smooth luxurious beautiful RX yet.
Test drove GS, BMW4 series several times with different engines.
Just wish the six cylinder had a turbo.

FastFord 05-26-17 12:51 PM

All cars have some issues, very rare and lucky if you get a great one. My most important item when I choose a car is the Dealer and their commitment to outstanding customer Service. My Lexus dealer is more than I would expect from any business. Even with the few issues I had, they went out of their way to make sure I was happy. The loaners, politeness, and access to technicians, fantastic.

Hopefully if/when you buy/lease a vehicle you should meet the General Manager, Service Manager and maybe even the owner. These are the people that can make a poor customer experience a fantastic one. If either seems "off" shop around. That goes for any brand dealer.

rdfish1 05-26-17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by FastFord (Post 9879023)
All cars have some issues, very rare and lucky if you get a great one. My most important item when I choose a car is the Dealer and their commitment to outstanding customer Service. My Lexus dealer is more than I would expect from any business. Even with the few issues I had, they went out of their way to make sure I was happy. The loaners, politeness, and access to technicians, fantastic.

Hopefully if/when you buy/lease a vehicle you should meet the General Manager, Service Manager and maybe even the owner. These are the people that can make a poor customer experience a fantastic one. If either seems "off" shop around. That goes for any brand dealer.

Do do you see any real disadvantage to buying from a dealer out of town and then using local sales department.? In my case it isn't price, my combo of atomic and grey is hard to find, mostly parchment which I don't love. Haven't seen the grey in person given limited stock so maybe I won't like it either. Don't know

FastFord 05-26-17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by rdfish1 (Post 9879124)
Do do you see any real disadvantage to buying from a dealer out of town and then using local sales department.? In my case it isn't price, my combo of atomic and grey is hard to find, mostly parchment which I don't love. Haven't seen the grey in person given limited stock so maybe I won't like it either. Don't know

I think you mean buying one place and service at another? If that's the case I've done it dozens of times. Kids Toyota comes from a Lexus/Toyota dealer and serviced at another Toyota dealer. All my Toyota's from Lexus and serviced at another dealer....no issues.

I don't think you can negotiate to buy at one dealer and then buy the same vehicle from another.

yok3dIS 05-26-17 04:50 PM

Feel bad for those finding issues with their automobiles. So far, I have no problems/complaints [crosses fingers] and would buy it again (with the hopes of new features added!)

Exec8468 05-26-17 06:34 PM

I'd say you'd have the same chance of having problems with any other vehicle you buy. We had a 5 series Bimmer that had the sunroof stuck open 2 hours after we took it off the lot! And we also had an Odyssey that had a door striker installed UPSIDE down! If you really like the RX, just do it! I still love mines even if it has some minor issues.

tdjacw 05-26-17 06:55 PM

Knowing that Lexus is diligently working on a fix for vibration/drone issues, you would have to be crazy to purchase this vehicle without a resolution.
This is not a minor issue like a rattle or leaky sunroof. This is a drivetrain issue which really destroys the hole driving experience. I wish I had the opportunity to redo my purchase. I have had minor issues with other cars but this vibration is just unacceptable, after all we are spending premium dollars on this vehicle and should get what we paid for. Yes, its probably very reliable but if the basic driving experience is bad who cares about the reliability.

ggebhardt 05-27-17 04:16 AM

I have enjoyed my RX450 so much I will be buying another one today. The vehical is the exact same as I have now except Nebula with grey interior.