RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are there really that many issues with the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 06:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Zero issues with my '17 RX F Sport. I've posted very little compared to past models because I have no DIY's if there's nothing to fix!
Old 06-27-17, 07:15 PM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 2017 Lexus RX with 4200mi.
No vibration, no gurgling.
I have had minor issues- had the enform system freeze up one time, feels like for the first 5 minutes the car will lurch when accelerating in the morning- like I'm hitting the the gas hard but I'm not but resolves after that, had a period where the keyless entry was slow to react but that resolved. Sometimes I feel that the keyless start is slow to start the engine. But really, this is nitpicking.

I love the RX- aside from the pig-like handling.

I like the NX exterior, don't like the design of the dash, the touchpad drove me crazy on the test drive, and yeah- it's too small for me. The ride was harsh- if it were to handle like a LFA, fair trade off- but it didn't. Handles better than the RX. Oh, the NX needs premium fuel vs. the RX's regular fuel requirements.
Old 06-28-17, 05:11 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Anyone here have the infomational display by the speedo show up blank when they turn on the engine? I had that happen a few times at random. Its pretty bizarre.

About 8 months ago, the AC was on, water was spewing out water in the front passenger side. Dealer claims spider went in there at made a web in the tube causing water to go in the main cabin. hmmmm. They fixed it no charge. It took them a week to deal with it.
I have heard of this happening before.. Person I used to work with had this happen on her Chevy years ago, not only in the A/C drain tube but approx a year later in her sunroof drain tube. A friend of my wife had this happen on their MB GL, and another time at Acura for service years back I overheard an service advisor explaining this to a customer.
Old 06-28-17, 06:54 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Zero issues with my '17 RX F Sport. I've posted very little compared to past models because I have no DIY's if there's nothing to fix!
ahah that is a good way to judge the quality of a car..

no need for DIYs must equate to a well-built vehilcle

'17 F-sport with 2600 miles - no issues to complain about

My only complaint is with the seat bolsters (by the arm) are showing crease lines
I partially blame myself - i reach over with my right arm to the passenger seat to look back when parking and going in reverse (wife pointed out that the crease marks are exactly where my shoulder presses onto the seat)...
i'm not sure if its the seat material or design of the seat - but i never noticed this issue with my other cars.
Old 06-28-17, 07:14 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
I've got an NX... too small
When I test drove it, me and my wife hit our heads when getting in. This is why we went to RX instead!
Old 06-28-17, 07:30 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
ahah that is a good way to judge the quality of a car..

no need for DIYs must equate to a well-built vehilcle

'17 F-sport with 2600 miles - no issues to complain about

My only complaint is with the seat bolsters (by the arm) are showing crease lines
I partially blame myself - i reach over with my right arm to the passenger seat to look back when parking and going in reverse (wife pointed out that the crease marks are exactly where my shoulder presses onto the seat)...
i'm not sure if its the seat material or design of the seat - but i never noticed this issue with my other cars.
I have the same problem, probably due to the harder leather of the F-sport seat.
Old 06-28-17, 08:33 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I have heard of this happening before.. Person I used to work with had this happen on her Chevy years ago, not only in the A/C drain tube but approx a year later in her sunroof drain tube. A friend of my wife had this happen on their MB GL, and another time at Acura for service years back I overheard an service advisor explaining this to a customer.
I am happy the dealer didn't charge me $$$. RX was only a few months old at the time. They had to take apart quite a lot of things to get to one little hose....hence a whole week of work. Flipside, I get to drive the NX200t for a week.
Old 06-29-17, 05:22 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
I have the same problem, probably due to the harder leather of the F-sport seat.
Seat creases are wear and tear - happens on any car of any brand apart from those with very tough leather such as BMW specifically their Dakota leather - may as well be made from elephant hide as it feels awful.
Old 06-29-17, 09:18 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I am happy the dealer didn't charge me $$$. RX was only a few months old at the time. They had to take apart quite a lot of things to get to one little hose....hence a whole week of work. Flipside, I get to drive the NX200t for a week.
Good to hear they didn't charge you..

You don't have much of a choice in a situation like you had, but it always concerns me when a lot of of parts have to be removed. I worry that if these parts aren't re-installed properly it will cause rattles, creaks etc..
The following users liked this post:
sirtiger (07-01-17)
Old 06-29-17, 09:46 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Purchasing this vehicle is like throwing the dice. You can get a quiet vibration/drone free car or like many folks you can get one that will literally drive you nuts with vibration and drone. Basically it boils down to buyer beware. Just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean your getting a problem free vehicle.
Oh and according to Lexus its perfectly normal for some to have vibration and others to have none. Its no wonder their reputation for initial quality was surpassed by Kia.
Old 06-29-17, 11:14 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well... I dove in and went forward with the purchase. So far I've got 1600 miles on the odometer and not one issue. No droning, no hesitation, nothing. My only complaint at this point is the stiffness of the front seats. Don't think the seats are very comfortable, especially compared to the multi-contour seats in the X5. Hopefully, they soften up with time....
The following users liked this post:
stevemcb (06-30-17)
Old 06-29-17, 02:30 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

That's great! Congrats on the new RX...1600 miles in one month, good to see you're getting good use of it. Seats will soften up and/or your Butt will toughen up!
Old 06-30-17, 07:14 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Knowing that Lexus is diligently working on a fix for vibration/drone issues, you would have to be crazy to purchase this vehicle without a resolution.
This is not a minor issue like a rattle or leaky sunroof. This is a drivetrain issue which really destroys the hole driving experience. I wish I had the opportunity to redo my purchase. I have had minor issues with other cars but this vibration is just unacceptable, after all we are spending premium dollars on this vehicle and should get what we paid for. Yes, its probably very reliable but if the basic driving experience is bad who cares about the reliability.
Wow! Is the droning engine noise still prevalent in the new model RX? I have a 2015 RX AWD and it drones @ 42-45 mph, and also @52-55. Drives me nuts. Dealership in Indy said it was "normal for a vehicle this age and mileage, at this service I had 4800 miles on it at 6 months old. Sigh. I just crank the radio and ignore it best I can. Love the ride and comfort but I had great hopes the droning noise would be resolved with the new models. My car didn't drone at first, I'd say it was about 2 or 3 months into ownership that it started.
Old 07-01-17, 12:44 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

What Lexus should be saying instead of it's normal is that it's just poor Engineering. No vehicle should vibrate and drone with todays Engineering.
Old 07-03-17, 01:11 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear some are experiencing vibration/engine noise (drone). We purchased a 2017 RX and few months ago and have been delighted with it. Engine is so smooth and quiet.....at a stop light....I can tell if the engine is running. It is an AWD which I insisted on only because I would rather be pushed than pulled. We also have a 2014 GS F Sport which we also enjoy.....two very different driving experiences. Both cars were purchased in Atlanta, a 100 miles away from where we live, for the reason we were able to save a bunch of money. I would prefer getting the cars serviced there, however. The GS gets regular oil changes at the local drive-through (similar to Jiffy Lube but not) . The RX will get a once over the first time then on to the same.
This has been a great forum. I have been a member since our 2003 SC430. Lots of good tips, fixes, & recommendations. I try to avoid the.....who has the best car/SUV. God knows I have tried too many & made some mistakes, but I must say Lexus hasn't let me down yet.

Quick Reply: Are there really that many issues with the RX?