RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are there really that many issues with the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 05:19 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
yes... And I don't have an F-Sport. It feels like the car is shifting down a gear too soon and it clunks into gear. It gets better with the ECU reset, but adjusts itself over time. This car drives awesome with a freshly reset ECU. I wish it would stop trying to learn my driving habits!
Hey someone like me....after the reset the car drove well but gradually it seems to be going back to changing gear to soon. Some days seem worse then others, like you said I think there's a lot in this learning the tranny does, it's adjusting and I'm adjusting my driving to allow for it and it's getting too far out of where it should be.
Old 01-05-18, 02:13 PM
colberto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes....there are problems!

My RX-350 has had a crappy transmission from Day 1. The worst shifting vehicle I have ever owned or driven. I'm struggling to either resolve it...or to learn that this is just the nature of the Lexus new 8-speed transmission. Eitherway....I'm currently not too happy with my purchase and the service experience of trying to resolve this issue.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 01-06-18, 07:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

In their pursuit of better mileage all manufacturers are giving us transmission with more gears than necessary. I noticed that if driving in ECO mode the hesitation is quite noticeable, but not so in normal and not existent in sport, this is the result of insane CAFE requirements the government is imposing on them. Manufacturers try to adapt, but changes are coming so swiftly and profusely that no sooner one is solved another problem appears. Where is my horse & buggy?
Old 01-06-18, 09:07 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

My wife's old 2010 RX350 had no problem and sold it at 100k miles. Had 0 issue. She just picked up her 2017 RX350 and 0 issue. She only drove it 3000 miles so far but seems like it's gonna be another solid vehicle.
Old 01-06-18, 06:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RiojaATX
There is a reason why owner retention is so high w/ Lexus vehicles. I've had only 1 or 2 issues with my 3 Lexus cars, and each time I was treated perfectly. Loaner car etc.
Exactly this is my 9th RX. I have only had it for a week and I am loving it.
The following users liked this post:
KOPGLOVE (01-06-18)
Old 01-06-18, 06:31 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KOPGLOVE
Hello all, in the market to replacing 3rd gen. 2015 RX350 which has been flawless. Previously owned 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, never had one problem. I test road the F-SPORT, and the Regular. What I found, was that the Regular was very comfortable. Ive notice the star rating on the RX in the 4TH generation has drastically dropped from a 9.8 customer satisfaction to a 6.8 compared to the previous generation RX, in the big name magazines. After reviewing the reviews, I read things like, poor acceleration, going from a complete stop, to accelerating up a hill with poor shifting with loud noises, air condition issues not working/drain backing up into interior wetting carpet, GPS/infotainment behind and out dated to distracting, not clear but fuzzy, brake pedal press start not working and giving a warning sign and the last item, just one customer had a leaking transmission and or differential. It scared the manure out of me.Hopefully these are just alternative news LOL. I did read these issues in the big car name websites that we all look at when we are in the market for a new vehicle. Im a loyal Lexus owner. Please 4th gen. RX350 owners give me your thoughts.
I had a 2015 and the 2017 feels much quicker and quieter.
KOPGLOVE (01-06-18)
Old 01-06-18, 07:35 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Both the 2017 RX-350 loaner and my 2017 RX-450 were (are) perfect in all respects. When it comes to long term reliability Lexis is king! You do need to consider other brands if perhaps acceleration, or cabin quietness or some other one dimensional thing is most important to you. Lexus has a lot of nice touches that may not be apparent at first glance.. One such thing is the advanced design of the hybrid transmission. Other things like a smog sensor, the windows slowing down to creep mode just before they close to avoid a closing thud, all 4 doors now having an unlock sensor and the list goes on and on. Minuses for me are the cheesy fact that the key FOB remote is disabled after one year if you don't start paying for it through Enform.
KOPGLOVE (01-06-18)
Old 01-08-18, 08:49 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
Both the 2017 RX-350 loaner and my 2017 RX-450 were (are) perfect in all respects. When it comes to long term reliability Lexis is king! You do need to consider other brands if perhaps acceleration, or cabin quietness or some other one dimensional thing is most important to you. Lexus has a lot of nice touches that may not be apparent at first glance.. One such thing is the advanced design of the hybrid transmission. Other things like a smog sensor, the windows slowing down to creep mode just before they close to avoid a closing thud, all 4 doors now having an unlock sensor and the list goes on and on. Minuses for me are the cheesy fact that the key FOB remote is disabled after one year if you don't start paying for it through Enform.
Unfortunately, being perfect in all respects is not my case. I have gone to the dealers for about 8 times for fixing different issues of my 16 RX. Now, I am going to the dealer again for another issue.
I have owned 6 cars with different brands before. Never have a car having so many issues. Will never buy a Lexus in the future.
Old 01-09-18, 08:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Gotta love forums
Old 04-05-18, 05:39 PM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 issues

Has anyone with a 2018 RX experienced any issues named in these other threads like vibration, drone noises, hesitation, etc? Looking to purchase this summer at the next Lexus event.
Old 04-05-18, 07:13 PM
fljones3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default None

Originally Posted by tjmc44
Has anyone with a 2018 RX experienced any issues named in these other threads like vibration, drone noises, hesitation, etc? Looking to purchase this summer at the next Lexus event.
just bought. Had the car for a week. None of the issues experienced thus far.
Old 04-06-18, 05:31 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fljones3

just bought. Had the car for a week. None of the issues experienced thus far.
Ditto for 3 months in.
Old 04-07-18, 01:22 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Just visiting on this thread since I have a 3rd-gen 2010 RX450h, but I wanted to make two observations:

(1) There will always be mechanical issues with any car but I think it's been very clear for many years that compared to the other brands Lexus makes a VERY reliable car. When you have hundreds of thousands of cars out there you will always have some issues cropping up.

(2) One side benefit of driving the hybrid is the lack of up- and down-shifting due to the brilliant CVT-like "transmission" (no belt and cones, but rather a bulletproof planetary gearset). I guess to many it would be a minor thing, but this car's power delivery is turbine-like and just delightful. I don't think I will ever go back to a car with shift points again (okay, so maybe one with a manual transmission). Really, the smoothness grows on you over time.

One exception: back as a young driver in the late-'60s I drove my dad's '65 Buick Riviera (the one with the clamshell headlights) a number of times. Gigantic engine and the smoothest-shifting automatic transmission I've ever experienced. You could hear the shift points but not feel them. Got about 10 miles per gallon, too, but what a great car.
Old 04-08-18, 09:34 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Owners Satisfaction for new cars

How likely would you buy same car.

Between luxury mid-sized SUVs RX is rated second best with 83% (Audi Q7 has 89%)
And across all SUVs it is third (Porsche Macan with 85%)
Just saw this older post, and just bought my third RX in about 20 years.
Wouldn't be surprised to have a new RX in my garage in about 2026
Old 04-08-18, 03:09 PM
jack2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastFord
Check out any manufacture and they all have people having issues. Go to Volvo, BMW, Audi, GM, Ford, car forums...Lots of complaints from Dealer issues, poor brakes, bad tranny, cost of ownership, etc...

My 2016 F sport had a bumper fitment issue...resolved, hesitation...resolved, rattle in one window...resolved. Out of 56 cars I have owned I can't think of one that didn't have something wrong or needed some adjusting. The RX has been a great vehicle, quiet, smooth, dependable. Wish the mileage was 2-3 mpg better and wish I could use the power windows in the accessory position.
which window you had rattle with? I have rattle on driver side

Quick Reply: Are there really that many issues with the RX?