RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are there really that many issues with the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 01:50 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

To me, these are just cars and some will have issues. The way a company deals with these issues makes all the difference. So far Lexus has been a complete disappointment. Everytime I read another post about folks enjoying their vibration free vehicles makes me think of Lexus telling me its a normal characteristic. That really insults my intelligence, this isn't my first new vehicle and I know whats normal and what's not. Lexus is truly scamming the folks with this issue an should really think about what there doing to their reputation.
Old 07-04-17, 06:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Lexus IS selling RX units like hot cakes and the majority of the people are quite happy with their purchase. They can not make everyone happy but my service department has never failed to make things right. After 25 years of driving Lexus, I could not be more happy. Besides I have tried the other brands and they were always plagued with problems. I still laugh at my venture into Mercedes where they insisted the problem was fixed after two weeks in service. We took it for a test drive and it did the same thing with me and the service manager which resulted in us being on the side of the expressway, waiting on the tow truck!

Nope, I will take Lexus any day.
Old 07-04-17, 07:29 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Lexus IS selling RX units like hot cakes and the majority of the people are quite happy with their purchase. They can not make everyone happy but my service department has never failed to make things right. After 25 years of driving Lexus, I could not be more happy. Besides I have tried the other brands and they were always plagued with problems. I still laugh at my venture into Mercedes where they insisted the problem was fixed after two weeks in service. We took it for a test drive and it did the same thing with me and the service manager which resulted in us being on the side of the expressway, waiting on the tow truck!

Nope, I will take Lexus any day.
I can't understand your logic. If my car ran perfectly fine and I saw multiple people having the same issue I would side with them and agree Lexus should should do right by these folks an fix the issue. I would not be stating that my car is fine so basically you guys are SOL! I would glady sell you mine, it just has some minor vibration, drone, and hesitation but its perfectly normal.
Old 07-04-17, 09:23 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 17 owners should wait after winter to claim that your RX has no issue. LOL
Old 07-04-17, 09:57 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

• NX up 13 percent for best-ever June, up 11.7 percent year-to-date
  • LX up nearly 5 percent in the first half
  • RX sees gain of 4.5 percent in June
Old 08-26-17, 07:01 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Has anyone else had issues with there RX?

lets start by saying I love my 16 RX 350 F-Sport. But it seems I have had a more than my fair share of issues with it. First was the hesitation issue, that was 90% fixed with the tsb update, second was a lower weatherstrip that fell off to inside lower edge of the drivers door, 3rd both sunroof inner seals fell off the pano sunroof, the power rear hatch latch had to be replaced cause it was faulty at delivery, Seems like that's more issues than should have to be dealt with with under 10k miles on the vehicle. I don't plan on getting rid of it as I love my RX, but just seems like the little things aren't up to the standard they once were.
Old 08-27-17, 03:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

No issues with either of my RX units. Happy with both.
Old 08-27-17, 04:29 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mx5mike
lets start by saying I love my 16 RX 350 F-Sport. But it seems I have had a more than my fair share of issues with it. First was the hesitation issue, that was 90% fixed with the tsb update, second was a lower weatherstrip that fell off to inside lower edge of the drivers door, 3rd both sunroof inner seals fell off the pano sunroof, the power rear hatch latch had to be replaced cause it was faulty at delivery, Seems like that's more issues than should have to be dealt with with under 10k miles on the vehicle. I don't plan on getting rid of it as I love my RX, but just seems like the little things aren't up to the standard they once were.
Agree with the hesitation issue and like you 90% fix for the TSB. To me this is the most annoying issue with the RX350 and the new 8 speed transmission. I have expressed many times to Lexus that this is still an issue and more needs to be done to consider this vehicle again. I have also sent many of the posts here to Lexus showing that there are a lot of owners that share the same concerns. I have had many generic responses and two letters from Senior Management at Lexus. Although they acknowledge that the problem does exist and have worked with me many times to correct it, a 100% fix is not yet available.

As for your other issues of the roof rails and lower trim pieces, things like this happen and as frustrating as it is, I can live with those types of problems. I to question initial quality as those types of things should not be happening, for any car, not just a premium brand.

Your rear hatch could have been one of the batches with hatch closures that were bad. I to had the same problem with a 2016 RX F sport. Kind of hard to blame Lexus for a parts supplier. I am glad they stepped up and replaced it without me even knowing there was a problem.

As the first model year I expected a few issues as I have had many first year production vehicles. In the big picture I think I got what I expected. I love driving my RX and find it reliable, quiet, smooth and safe. I would buy another, but with the CVT transmission. There are a lot of manufactures going with these 8,9,10 speed trannies and I am a little shy to go down that road. From what I have read here and after driving the 450H I think that is the next purchase. If my 8 speed functioned as I believe it should I would rate this vehicle as a 9.5 But with the strange transmission, only an 8.0 and that in my books is a would not purchase again.
Old 08-27-17, 07:24 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife rarely drives my 2016 RX 350 and she rarely comments on it. Last night she was driving home after a night out. After about 15 minutes she said " this is really a smooth driving car". I couldn't believe my ears.
Old 08-27-17, 11:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cec327
My wife rarely drives my 2016 RX 350 and she rarely comments on it. Last night she was driving home after a night out. After about 15 minutes she said " this is really a smooth driving car". I couldn't believe my ears.
That's funny, my wife borrowed my RX the other night and commented that her 2016 Chevy Tahoe was much smoother. I have said that from day one, but she finally acknowledged the roughness in the motor when you accelerate. I know they all don't have this vibration but as many things as I do like about the car the vibration totally ruins the driving experience. I guess the promise from Lexus that it would be fixed was just to shut me up as I'm going on a year now with no update.
Old 01-03-18, 07:36 PM
KOPGLOVE
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile 2017 RX RUMOR or FACT on several different issues

Hello all, in the market to replacing 3rd gen. 2015 RX350 which has been flawless. Previously owned 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, never had one problem. I test road the F-SPORT, and the Regular. What I found, was that the Regular was very comfortable. Ive notice the star rating on the RX in the 4TH generation has drastically dropped from a 9.8 customer satisfaction to a 6.8 compared to the previous generation RX, in the big name magazines. After reviewing the reviews, I read things like, poor acceleration, going from a complete stop, to accelerating up a hill with poor shifting with loud noises, air condition issues not working/drain backing up into interior wetting carpet, GPS/infotainment behind and out dated to distracting, not clear but fuzzy, brake pedal press start not working and giving a warning sign and the last item, just one customer had a leaking transmission and or differential. It scared the manure out of me.Hopefully these are just alternative news LOL. I did read these issues in the big car name websites that we all look at when we are in the market for a new vehicle. Im a loyal Lexus owner. Please 4th gen. RX350 owners give me your thoughts.

Last edited by KOPGLOVE; 01-03-18 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 11:46 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by KOPGLOVE
Hello all, in the market to replacing 3rd gen. 2015 RX350 which has been flawless. Previously owned 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, never had one problem. I test road the F-SPORT, and the Regular. What I found, was that the Regular was very comfortable. Ive notice the star rating on the RX in the 4TH generation has drastically dropped from a 9.8 customer satisfaction to a 6.8 compared to the previous generation RX, in the big name magazines. After reviewing the reviews, I read things like, poor acceleration, going from a complete stop, to accelerating up a hill with poor shifting with loud noises, air condition issues not working/drain backing up into interior wetting carpet, GPS/infotainment behind and out dated to distracting, not clear but fuzzy, brake pedal press start not working and giving a warning sign and the last item, just one customer had a leaking transmission and or differential. It scared the manure out of me.Hopefully these are just alternative news LOL. I did read these issues in the big car name websites that we all look at when we are in the market for a new vehicle. Im a loyal Lexus owner. Please 4th gen. RX350 owners give me your thoughts.
The main common problem that most of us have is with the new 8 gear transmission. There is a patch that improves it, but it requires to be used to how to use the gaz pedal to get the performance you require of it. I am over that and I just love my 2016 RX.

For the other problems, not all are experiencing the same ones. And mince have none of the other ones.
You may hear al lot of barking here, but only those with the problems complain that are writing the most.
You may not experience any of them. Just make sure to take your vehicle for a test drive before buying it so that your mind is at peace after that!
The following users liked this post:
KOPGLOVE (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 11:57 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This seems like as good of a thread as any to post this - and i didnt want to start a new thread.

17 RX350 Fsport w/ 10k miles.

does any else experience a rougher than normal downshift right around 27-32 mph - I don't exactly which gear it is... but it happens very frequently during normal braking/slowing down right around that speed range. I have only noticed in the last 2 months - So i wonder if the ecu just needs a reset or something since it didnt seem to be there previously.

i dont notice it much at all under heavy braking and the car drives normal otherwise.

thank you.
Old 01-04-18, 02:51 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
This seems like as good of a thread as any to post this - and i didnt want to start a new thread.

17 RX350 Fsport w/ 10k miles.

does any else experience a rougher than normal downshift right around 27-32 mph - I don't exactly which gear it is... but it happens very frequently during normal braking/slowing down right around that speed range. I have only noticed in the last 2 months - So i wonder if the ecu just needs a reset or something since it didnt seem to be there previously.

i dont notice it much at all under heavy braking and the car drives normal otherwise.

thank you.
yes... And I don't have an F-Sport. It feels like the car is shifting down a gear too soon and it clunks into gear. It gets better with the ECU reset, but adjusts itself over time. This car drives awesome with a freshly reset ECU. I wish it would stop trying to learn my driving habits!
Old 01-04-18, 05:08 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

2017 RX450H F-Sport purchased 7/10/17.

Has 1,340 miles and no noticeable problems or otherwise as of yet. I didn't like the throttle lag response from a stop but I'm used to that. The few BMWs I've owned had the same issue. I'm not sure if it's a CA thing or not but I've noticed that most cars have this problem. In the BMWs, I always installed a throttle controller of some sort. In the RX, I installed the Apexi unit which made a difference particularly when you smash the pedal.

Quick Reply: Are there really that many issues with the RX?