RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are there really that many issues with the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 05:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I love my car. It's true. Lexus is about luxurious ride quality compared to the germans which are more focused on power at the cost of higher maintenance.

To be honest, if my car didn't have safety features, pano moon roof, 360 camera, f sport styling and speedometer, hud, triple beam lights, I prob would not like it as much.

If money was an issue, I'd wait for the new NX.
Old 05-27-17, 09:54 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I love my car. It's true. Lexus is about luxurious ride quality compared to the germans which are more focused on power at the cost of higher maintenance.

To be honest, if my car didn't have safety features, pano moon roof, 360 camera, f sport styling and speedometer, hud, triple beam lights, I prob would not like it as much.

Amen to the 3rd statement!!!
Old 05-27-17, 09:57 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got an NX... too small
Old 05-27-17, 01:55 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

My Porsche Macan S actually rides much better than my NX or RC F ever did. Not near as jarring hitting bumps. I had to "downgrade" my wheels on a 2014 ultra luxury ES to 17 inch wheels to give it a softer ride. My LX on the other hand rides like a dream! I agree with the NX being a little small. Hoping they get any issues with the RX resolved. Wouldn't mind having a RX again one day. My 2002 RX 350 AWD was one of the best vehicles I ever had.

Last edited by Frog98; 05-27-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 08:33 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
About to dive into a '17 loaded RX & having second thoughts given many of the issues posted here. How prevalent are these issues? Are they the exception or the norm? Was looking at the Volvo XC90, but that seems to have gremlins as well.
Check this report:
http://clark.com/cars/most-least-rel...sumer-reports/

All cars will have problems from time to time.
Car brands with the low consumer complains and high customer satisfaction tend to have the lowest probability of issues.
Lexus has always been at the top of the most reliable car brand list. It's 1 of the main reasons I chose to buy the RX. There's no guarantee that it's not going to have issues, but I'm confident that I have a much lower probability of getting a lemon than other brands.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 07:56 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is semi similar might help with opinions
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...gen-again.html
Old 05-31-17, 08:10 AM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly why we traded-in our 15 NX for 17 RX F-Sport. No issue and love the car. I can live with droning as I don't drive it to race it...
Old 06-26-17, 07:35 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would buy exactly the same RX again - it's my 3rd one (2008 RX400h, 2012 RX450h and now 2016 RX450h) and by far the best car I have ever owned. Does it have some things I would like to change? - YES - the voice recognition sucks, the nav in my phone is better and I wish my Samsung phone would connect to the nav, but other than that it's still a great car.
The following 2 users liked this post by ghabicht:
ggebhardt (06-27-17), Nail34 (06-26-17)
Old 06-26-17, 12:42 PM
RiojaATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a reason why owner retention is so high w/ Lexus vehicles. I've had only 1 or 2 issues with my 3 Lexus cars, and each time I was treated perfectly. Loaner car etc.
Old 06-26-17, 12:56 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was a little smaller than the 3RX. If NX offered a 295hp V6, I would have seriously considered it. That would be fun to drive.
Old 06-26-17, 01:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

fastford, the first press of the start/stop button with your foot off the brake is indeed
the Accessory position, turns on just the radio. Give it a second press with your foot off
the brake and voila, Power Windows and Sunroof too!
winsalem (06-26-17)
Old 06-27-17, 01:16 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

No issues for my 17 RX450h f-sport so far....KNOCK! KNOCK!
Old 06-27-17, 01:22 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone here have the infomational display by the speedo show up blank when they turn on the engine? I had that happen a few times at random. Its pretty bizarre.

About 8 months ago, the AC was on, water was spewing out water in the front passenger side. Dealer claims spider went in there at made a web in the tube causing water to go in the main cabin. hmmmm. They fixed it no charge. It took them a week to deal with it.
Old 06-27-17, 04:08 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's another odd one. A few months ago, I had the TSB fix applied for the gurgling A/C sound on my 2016 RX 350. When I got the car back, they had left the A/C on LO, and I did notice that it wasn't freezing like I'd been used to at that setting. Didn't think too much about it at the time, as it was spring, so did not need the A/C as much then.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I was on a road trip down to LA. Temperature finally climbed into the high 20s (Celcius) as I got into California and by the time it hit 30C, I could definitely tell the A/C with the LO setting and low fan could barely keep up with the heat. Last summer with the same temperatures in BC, the air coming out of the vents at the same setting was absolutely chilly. Had to turn the fan up a few notches to keep the cabin cool in the SoCal heat.

Back in Vancouver now, and with the current warmer temperatures, I've definitely started to notice there's something wrong with the LO setting. Usually under 23-24C, I would just pop up the sunroof, have the climate vent in fresh air and leave the setting at LO (with A/C OFF), and it would be nice and comfy. However, lately I've noticed the air coming out of the vents is noticeably a few degrees warmer than ambient temperature outside. It's almost like I had the heat turned on.

I might be imagining things, but when I turned the temperature up from LO to one notch up (in our case 15.0 C), it actually felt cooler than when I had it on LO. Cabin was feeling stuffy and warm with LO, but much more comfortable and cool (at least in my mind) when I had it on 15.0C. Maybe not as cool as when I had it on LO prior to the TSB, but I can't quite confirm.

Anyone ever felt this before? Am I losing my mind? Will likely bring this up when I next bring the car in for an oil change, but does anyone know what the culprit could be? A bad thermostat after the TSB was applied (supposedly some ducting was replaced in the engine bay)?

Last edited by kolokmee; 06-27-17 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-17, 04:37 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

While there may be an issue with AC, I don't understand why not place on 'auto' then set temperature.
I leave temp on 74. Fan speed adjusts based on relationship between temp outside/ inside.
If I want fan to blow more, I lower temp to 73. Cools me off, then raise back to 74 etc .
Of course if it's less than 74 outside, then heat comes out. I would then lower temp to one degree below outside to cool more.

Not it sure if this is training issue or some folks just like to use manual fan.
BTW, When system on auto, and u manually adjust fan speed up/down, you are no longer on auto.
EMSLEXUSRX (07-09-17)

Quick Reply: Are there really that many issues with the RX?