RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Split screen on 2017 RX with Nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 06:42 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 RX Navigation Map mode is "map only", why?

I have the 2017 RX.

In the navigation, is there a way to have the system default to "turn by turn" directions. I appear to be stuck at default where it shows all of the exits.

In Map mode, the only possible selection is "map only", all others are greyed out.

Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-05-17, 08:37 AM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I have the 2017 RX.

In the navigation, is there a way to have the system default to "turn by turn" directions. I appear to be stuck at default where it shows all of the exits.

In Map mode, the only possible selection is "map only", all others are greyed out.

Please help. Thanks.
I believe it depends if you have a destination set - certain screen options can/cannot be selected. So when have you a destination set, you should be able to switch it to "turn-by-turn" (will be the default whenever you have a destination).
Old 02-05-17, 10:20 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it. Think I have this working now with turn by turn as default.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-17, 05:57 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Split screen on 2017 RX with Nav

Last week I drove a 2017 RX with the top of the line package for Canada. Last year i tried a 2016 similarly equipped. One of the features on that nav screen that I have enjoyed since 2010 was that the system automatically went to split screen once on major highways to display upcoming exit ramp info that included time to ramp and distance, It would also display upcoming rest stops. My current 2013 RX displays that info as did the 2016 --and i did not have to program anything into nav for that to happen (ie no destination had been set) I tried to find that info in map mode and there was a section for "freeway exit ramps" but it was greyed out and i was not permited to activate it. Is this no longer a possibility or something that the dealer must activate? I have grown quite accustomed to this feature. Please advise as it could sway my decision to buy. Thanks

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 05-13-17, 06:16 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

My 2016 goes split screen when on interstate/major hiways. Have you tried the 2017 on the interstate yet?
Old 05-14-17, 03:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

The user can choose to have full screen or split screen in the settings on either vehicle.
Old 05-14-17, 04:40 AM
dentate
Driver

My point was that I drove the same route on both the 2016 and the 2017 RX - the 2016 automatically went to split screen on the major highways and displayed the upcoming exit info. In the 2017, I was able to select split screen, but all i got was either a compass or another smaller map. When i went into the map info area on the screen the ability to turn on "freeway exit info" was greyed out, not allowing me to select it - I even tried to do it while on the highway! I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Canadian versions do not have Enform --but that has not changed - we have never been allowed to have that.... Greg, when you have the split screen, do you automatically get the interstate exit info or do you have to select it? Any Canadian owners out there want to chime in? Thanks

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 05-14-17, 06:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

When I select split screen, I get the exits info. I seldom use split screen though.
Old 05-14-17, 07:25 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Wonder how we lived/drove vehicles without nav. system in old days. Technology makes people lazy and dumb by the day, LOL! Think about it we're all becoming button pushers like a robot.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (05-14-17)
Old 05-14-17, 12:42 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

I think it's a setting. There is no change from 16 to 17 in the Navi. We still get the same 1990 technology navi.
Old 05-15-17, 07:52 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes you can get split screen with exits. The owner manual makes it sound simple. The little grey boxes never work, so I know what you mean. I got it to work by accident by clicking on the intersection while driving....use the mouse, drag the pointer to the intersection and it should work. Make sure if there is a little grey exel type spreadsheet in the top right corner to click on that. That excel type box will disable how you view the screen/s

This is such a bad description but keep playing with it. Maybe get a passenger to play with it while you drive as that's the only way to do it safely.

On a side note the salesman couldn't make it work either...My better half figured it out.
Old 05-15-17, 02:47 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
My point was that I drove the same route on both the 2016 and the 2017 RX - the 2016 automatically went to split screen on the major highways and displayed the upcoming exit info. In the 2017, I was able to select split screen, but all i got was either a compass or another smaller map. When i went into the map info area on the screen the ability to turn on "freeway exit info" was greyed out, not allowing me to select it - I even tried to do it while on the highway! I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Canadian versions do not have Enform --but that has not changed - we have never been allowed to have that.... Greg, when you have the split screen, do you automatically get the interstate exit info or do you have to select it? Any Canadian owners out there want to chime in? Thanks

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
Mine is 2017 with the Luxury Pkg abd has the split screen, I've found it but have no use for it and though I am on split screen I have the nav on the larger portion and settings on the smaller one. Look int the quick guide or full manual or in Lexus university in UTube

Last edited by Cocal; 05-16-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 04:06 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL

Is it greyed out because you tried to change it while rolling? Settings are not allowed to be changed when on the road. I guess they don't want it to distract us and cause an accident. You need to be parked to change settings.

I did not check on my side, but I noticed that when I tried to manually connect my phone. Then I saw also that many settings are greyed out.

I have 2016 RX 350 Luxury package.
Old 05-16-17, 06:23 AM
dentate
Driver

PeeVee

I tried it both while parked and while driving. It is the executive pkg. that I drove in both the 2016--where it did work and i did not have to do a thing to make it do so and the 2017 - where no amount of fiddling seemed to have any effect. Unfortunately, I only had the dealer demo for the day last week (very generous for them to do so) so i have no ability to play around with it now...but just wanted to make sure it would work. Interesting to note that today I have the 2017 NX Exec package and it worked the moment i went on 401.
Fast Ford

Thanks for the descriptors of what your better half had to do...Now, does it work automatically or do you have to fiddle with it each time?

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 05-16-17, 06:54 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It works automatically on my 2017 RX here in US.. just confirmed it today morning (as I was reading your comments yesterday).

Quick Reply: Split screen on 2017 RX with Nav