RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Shaking when braking at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 06:40 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shaking when braking at high speeds

I have a 2016 RX 350 with 18K miles on it. I noticed that when I brake (normally, not hard at all) at high speeds (over 80 mph) on the highway, I feel very noticeable shaking in the pedal. It's definitely not the steering wheel so it doesn't look like a wheel balancing issue and it only happens at speeds over 80 mph and it gets worse if I drive for a while. It almost feels like the brake pads are hitting an uneven surface (warped rotors?). I do feel it a little bit starting at 65 mph but it gets worse approaching 80 mph and over. I don't brake hard and perform all the scheduled maintenance (tire rotation, oil change, etc.) What could be the reason for this shaking?
Old 05-10-17, 07:07 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Sounds like warped rotors. Might want to get someone to check it out.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (05-24-17)
Old 05-10-17, 08:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

If you have done a lot of hard braking at 80mph and above, you will be getting your brakes serviced more often for sure.
Old 05-10-17, 11:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Lug nuts should be tightened in a "star" pattern. Does not take much to mis-torque the lugs and
create the symptom you describe. Dealer would have done the 5K and 10K tire rotations for free
under the warranty, who did the 15K?
Old 05-10-17, 11:43 AM
javapro
Driver

That's what I was told by a friend - warped rotors or lug nuts not properly torqued. I hope it's not warped rotors because the car is pretty new and I don't usually do a lot hard braking. 5K, 10K, and 15K services were preformed by the dealer. How should the dealer check for warped rotors? I asked to check them a few months back during the 15K service but they said the brake pads and rotors were fine. They couldn't even reproduce the issue probably because they couldn't drive the car over 80 mph for an extended period of time. So, I gave up but got pissed off again taking a 200 mile drive to Niagara Falls. I was driving over 80 for long stretches and felt the shaking in the brake pedal when braking even lightly at high speeds.
Old 05-24-17, 06:38 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same situation, at about 17K on it and anytime I am over 60 MPH I get that same warp rotor shake. It really annoying given the truck is new about 7 months old, I have had 13'GS 15'ES all brought up to over 40K in miles and not a shake or even the pads replaced the GS when I returned it was metal on metal but I knew it was going back. In my case I mainly drive at high speeds on highway, but still at this low miles this shouldn't be occurring.

I would like to bring this up at my 20k service and hoping they will resolve under warranty by cutting rotors and replacing the pads, but I wonder if they are going say it wear and tear from driving.
Did you attempt to get the dealer to fix issue? It's 100% warp rotors, so easy fix cut rotors and replace the pads, but we all know how dealers could get and I am certainly not paying for this I will drive it to metal to metal and return it as it's lease. This is first Lexus I am truly looking forward to lease being up.
Old 05-24-17, 09:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Rotors enemy is heat and water. Mix them and your Rotors could warp. Driving in lots and stop and go traffic on highways or higher speed roads and then a big puddle of water or car wash could easily warp them.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
LexNYC83 (09-26-20), Oldfart (05-24-17)
Old 05-25-17, 04:47 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
I am in the same situation, at about 17K on it and anytime I am over 60 MPH I get that same warp rotor shake. It really annoying given the truck is new about 7 months old, I have had 13'GS 15'ES all brought up to over 40K in miles and not a shake or even the pads replaced the GS when I returned it was metal on metal but I knew it was going back. In my case I mainly drive at high speeds on highway, but still at this low miles this shouldn't be occurring.

I would like to bring this up at my 20k service and hoping they will resolve under warranty by cutting rotors and replacing the pads, but I wonder if they are going say it wear and tear from driving.
Did you attempt to get the dealer to fix issue? It's 100% warp rotors, so easy fix cut rotors and replace the pads, but we all know how dealers could get and I am certainly not paying for this I will drive it to metal to metal and return it as it's lease. This is first Lexus I am truly looking forward to lease being up.
As long as you describe when the shaking happens, then the dealer should be able to recreate it and fix it. Thats what the warranty is for. Just because you had 2 other different models that didn't have brake issues, doesn't mean that the product is crap all of the sudden. People need to get a grip.
ggebhardt (05-26-17)
Old 05-25-17, 07:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I've had rotors go after 3 months and 3K miles. Had them replaced by dealer, 6 months later gone again. Traded the Escalade in after that. Had a Dodge that needed brakes as often as an oil change. Kids Toyota has 94,000 kilometers or 60K on original brakes. Like Toyotaman7 says heat and water can cause big problems.
Old 05-25-17, 07:09 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had 9 new Lexus's since I started driving and have owned Porsche Cayenne and Mercedes E Classes out of all them this is by far the worse one I have ever purchased, not saying it is complete crap as I am very impressed with interior and technology..However for a 61K sticker forgetting about the brakes I shouldn't be having such obvious issues that they should have caught prior to putting it on the market such as transmission that stumbles every time you try to drive it, even with the update it still struggles. I always felt confident in Lexus product and this is why the Lexus is always used as daily work beater but this model version has really been an eye opener and you can say it was first year production, but thats fine for little glitches but having a transmission as bad as this is very obvious and its my fault for buying it without driving it first. The new E class I have is also first year production and it been dream zero issues and transmission shifts flawless, even my 15' LS which has 8 speed is perfect.
Old 05-25-17, 08:34 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

@ Lexus1998, how is your comment relevant to this topic? There are other threads for this type of complains you might even find a support group there.
I had warped rotors on my RX330, after replacing it was a pleasure to ride.
Old 05-25-17, 09:29 PM
twoytk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2016 rx350 f sport at 12k miles. Recently im having the same problem as described by OP. will definitely bring it to the dealer and have them check it out. AC gurgling noise was bad enough, now we're having this issue lol. so much for a 60k sticker car
Old 05-26-17, 02:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by twoytk
i have a 2016 rx350 f sport at 12k miles. Recently im having the same problem as described by OP. will definitely bring it to the dealer and have them check it out. AC gurgling noise was bad enough, now we're having this issue lol. so much for a 60k sticker car
60k sticker does not guarantee perfection.
CharmCtyIS (02-27-18)
Old 05-26-17, 06:03 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

In Canada Lexus has a 1 year, 20,000 km wear and tear warranty. I am sure Lexus USA offers a similar warranty. They replace rotors under that Warranty.

However, warped rotors are not necessarily lack of quality. Rotors get hot; REALLY hot when driving. If they are cooled quickly they warp. Rapid Cooling could be just a puddle of water on the ground or car wash while the rotors are still hot after driving stop and go at moderate speeds.
You can test that with a frying pan. Next time heat up a cast iron pan then pour cold water on it. You could have the BEST pan, but it will warp / crack. Regular vehicle rotors are made out of Cast Iron, regardless of which OEM.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
CharmCtyIS (02-27-18), Oldfart (05-26-17)
Old 05-29-17, 07:36 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus1998

I haven't tried the dealer yet - waiting for the 20K service as I am at 19,200 right now. Are you sure it's 100% warped rotors and not the lug nuts not being torqued properly?

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking at high speeds