RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Shaking when braking at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 05:57 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You know what else can cause brake vibrations? Cars that have sat on the lot forever and the rotors get rusty from sitting. Probably more prevalent in the northern states or more humid areas of the country. Again, that's what a warranty is for.
Old 05-30-17, 07:38 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue when I took it on a road trip. The Car would shake when braking over 80mph on a down hill. Told the dealership the issue and they machined the rotors. that was last summer. Had not had a chance to try it out again. so not sure if that solved the issue.
Old 06-15-17, 08:52 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am on a 2500 mile road trip now and noticed a vibration in the brake pedal at speeds north of 70, and really noticeable with radar cruise set at 85 and traffic slows in front of me. will be bringing this up at my 10k service monday morning. only have 7500 miles on my RX but I am at the year mark.
Old 06-27-17, 04:47 PM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mx5mike
I am on a 2500 mile road trip now and noticed a vibration in the brake pedal at speeds north of 70, and really noticeable with radar cruise set at 85 and traffic slows in front of me. will be bringing this up at my 10k service monday morning. only have 7500 miles on my RX but I am at the year mark.
So, did you bring it up? Were they able to identify the problem and fix it?
Old 07-03-17, 07:38 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to the dealer for my 20K service a couple of days ago and had them check out the rotors. They said they were warped! They machined them and so far I haven't noticed any shaking or vibration. Here is what they put down on the work order in case anyone is interested:

SERVICE: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH)
DESCRIPTION: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) ~ ~CUSTOMER FEELS SHAKING COMING FROM BRAKES- PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE IF REPLACEMENT IS NEEDED ~ ~RG ~ ~19978 INSPECTED FRONT ROTORS BY DIAL INDICATOR. MAXIMUM DISC RUNOUT, 0.05MM/0.025MM. MACHINE ROTORS, CLEANED PADS AND LUBRICATED SLIDE PINS. TOOK ROAD TEST FOR 4 MILES. THERE IS NO SHIMMY ANYMORE. OK
The following users liked this post:
jinming200 (09-02-21)
Old 02-27-18, 10:00 AM
AYLexus18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my pre-owned 2015 GS 350. I can also feel the vibration while driving at high speed, but at breaking, it's terrible.

Just purchased a full set of rotors and brake pads. Hopefully, it stops.
Old 02-27-18, 10:33 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by AYLexus18
I have the same issue with my pre-owned 2015 GS 350. I can also feel the vibration while driving at high speed, but at breaking, it's terrible.

Vibrations while driving, not braking, would probably be a different issue than shaking while braking. I agree that new rotors would fix the braking issue, then see what happens.
AYLexus18 (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 05:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Vibrations while driving, not braking, would probably be a different issue than shaking while braking. I agree that new rotors would fix the braking issue, then see what happens.
Vibration at high speed (not applying brakes) likely a wheel balance issue.
Oldfart (02-28-18)
Old 03-23-18, 04:17 PM
AYLexus18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed rotors and is better.
Old 04-17-18, 07:57 AM
Citronlemo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuous Rotor and Break Replacement is Common...and not acknowledged by Lexus

I no longer have the car but was repeatedly replacing the brakes rotors, brake pads and brakes themselves on my Lexus RX 350. Lexus was telling me that I was riding the brakes too hard and while I really liked the car, I ultimately I got rid of it due to expense and the hassle of having it repaired. I am once again seeking another car -- would love to get another Lexus. So i googled the issue, and discovered many, many others have experienced the same issue on this and other models and received the same reply. I am shocked to see that Lexus continues not to acknowledge and/or fix this issue. Wondering what can be done to light a fire under them?

Originally Posted by javapro
I have a 2016 RX 350 with 18K miles on it. I noticed that when I brake (normally, not hard at all) at high speeds (over 80 mph) on the highway, I feel very noticeable shaking in the pedal. It's definitely not the steering wheel so it doesn't look like a wheel balancing issue and it only happens at speeds over 80 mph and it gets worse if I drive for a while. It almost feels like the brake pads are hitting an uneven surface (warped rotors?). I do feel it a little bit starting at 65 mph but it gets worse approaching 80 mph and over. I don't brake hard and perform all the scheduled maintenance (tire rotation, oil change, etc.) What could be the reason for this shaking?
Old 04-17-18, 09:17 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Citronlemo
I no longer have the car but was repeatedly replacing the brakes rotors, brake pads and brakes themselves on my Lexus RX 350. Lexus was telling me that I was riding the brakes too hard and while I really liked the car, I ultimately I got rid of it due to expense and the hassle of having it repaired. I am once again seeking another car -- would love to get another Lexus. So i googled the issue, and discovered many, many others have experienced the same issue on this and other models and received the same reply. I am shocked to see that Lexus continues not to acknowledge and/or fix this issue. Wondering what can be done to light a fire under them?
Didn't Lexus say that this is due to the way you are using this car? I'd say it is acknowledged. Those that have a need to break hard replace it with an aftermarket parts.
Old 04-17-18, 11:02 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AYLexus18

Is your GS an fsport? You know there is a TSB for free rotor replacement for the GS F sports.
Old 05-01-19, 10:05 PM
mznya
Driver School Candidate

Default 2018 RX350 vibration

I have a 2018 RX350L with 20k on it. Also started noticing vibration when braking at high speeds/off ramps on hwy. FIRST, thought it was alignment (I don’t know much about cars), brought to firestone to align & told him I wanted new brake pads b/c my car shakes w/braking. He laughed, told me lexus’ are good with brake pads, I shouldn’t need until 60k+ of mileage. Anyway they did a brake inspection when they aligned my tires—said they looked fine. I called lexus played stupid and told them only that my car shakes when braking at high speed. Brought it in same day, service coordinator already knew that it prob was rotors. Says they’ll machine them or replace under warranty. Next day they called and confirmed it was rotors, able to machine them (whatever that means) to straighten them out. I asked if it’s a common problem for RX’s. He said no but it’s a known issue & it happens due to heat and cooling down quickly etc. as others mentioned in replies
Old 05-02-19, 06:35 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by mznya
I have a 2018 RX350L with 20k on it. Also started noticing vibration when braking at high speeds/off ramps on hwy. FIRST, thought it was alignment (I don’t know much about cars), brought to firestone to align & told him I wanted new brake pads b/c my car shakes w/braking. He laughed, told me lexus’ are good with brake pads, I shouldn’t need until 60k+ of mileage. Anyway they did a brake inspection when they aligned my tires—said they looked fine. I called lexus played stupid and told them only that my car shakes when braking at high speed. Brought it in same day, service coordinator already knew that it prob was rotors. Says they’ll machine them or replace under warranty. Next day they called and confirmed it was rotors, able to machine them (whatever that means) to straighten them out. I asked if it’s a common problem for RX’s. He said no but it’s a known issue & it happens due to heat and cooling down quickly etc. as others mentioned in replies
Glad you got it fixed. However, I would have insisted they replace the rotors, not machine them. Machining rotors means to "grind" down the surface to remove the high spots. Only thing is, this makes the rotor thinner and more susceptible to warping next time.
Back when disc brakes were introduced, rotors were much thicker and could easily be machined (or turned, as they called it) twice before having to be replaced. Not so anymore.
mznya (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 10:13 AM
mznya
Driver School Candidate

Oh I wasn’t aware. My car has additional warranty, so if it happens again I’ll say I want it replaced. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking at high speeds