RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Location of radars sensors in the RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 10:15 PM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location of radars sensors in the RX

Does anyone know where all the various sensors are located in the RX? 1) I'm curious and 2) I'm considering doing a vinyl wrap on my RX. Any thoughts on vinyl wraps effecting the BSM etc?
The following users liked this post:
lexnewbi (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 04:28 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

It's those round things on the rear bumper (4) and then 2 in the lower part of the grill and two on each side between the fog lights and the head lights in the front for a total of 8.

The best would be to cut the film around them.
Old 05-04-17, 08:47 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
Does anyone know where all the various sensors are located in the RX? 1) I'm curious and 2) I'm considering doing a vinyl wrap on my RX. Any thoughts on vinyl wraps effecting the BSM etc?
Those are ultrasonic sensors and they are basically microphones. Covering them would affect their response. In fact, too much paint caused problem when they were first introduced. Thus ,the reason older cars had black round circles instead of color matched like many cars today. Typically the wraps have cutouts for the sensors.
Old 05-04-17, 09:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Some people have wrapped their cars on the 4GS forums. Haven't seen any issues.
Old 05-04-17, 10:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

No experience with vinyl wraps, but I had a friend buy a Mercedes GLC and the dumb dealer who applied paint protection film but didn't cut out the holes for the parking sensors. It completely threw off the sensors. Ended up getting the dealer to refund to PPF cost and went elsewhere (for a good reason).

As for BSM, I think that sensor is large-scale enough that a vinyl wrap wouldn't affect it too much. The BSM sensors are located in the rear quarter panel area, not the bumper (at least on my IS).
Old 05-05-17, 06:08 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
Man.. I tried vinyl wrapping myself and it was so hard. I couldn't find a good DIY video.

I used the VVIT one. If you can post a video! I would be eternally grateful
Old 05-05-17, 07:44 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
No experience with vinyl wraps, but I had a friend buy a Mercedes GLC and the dumb dealer who applied paint protection film but didn't cut out the holes for the parking sensors. It completely threw off the sensors. Ended up getting the dealer to refund to PPF cost and went elsewhere (for a good reason).

As for BSM, I think that sensor is large-scale enough that a vinyl wrap wouldn't affect it too much. The BSM sensors are located in the rear quarter panel area, not the bumper (at least on my IS).
When I had Paint Protection Film on my RX, they made cut outs for the sensors. However, this video below shows that (at least on Teslas) you can put film over the sensors.

With respect to the BSM, the above quote is correct. The BSM sensors are in the rear bumper right under the tail-light. I also have paint protection film there and have no issues.
Old 05-05-17, 11:22 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

The Radar is under the front Lexus Emblem.
Old 05-23-17, 09:08 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blind Spot Monitoring sensors

I believe these (BSM) sensors are what the original poster is speaking about. The one with the Lexus emblem at the front is for the radar cruise control. I have the BSM on my 2013 RX and I believe that the rear sensor is tucked behind the upper portion of the rear bumper where it wraps around the side of the vehicle...i think it is in the same location on the front bumper - upper portion on the short wrap around piece at the sides. If in doubt, ask a service advisor for precise location. I have no idea if wrapping plastic protective film on the upper portion of the bumper would adversely affect performance of those sensors or not....They work extremely well on the 2013.

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL