RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 08:49 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to know this as well, the stock pads produced quite a bit of dust and I want to change them to some ceramic pads if possible.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-18, 06:47 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by slick2086
It is...Also you can buy a scan tool with this feature on it and you can retract the brake..
Thanks great info.hope it helps everyone ..Thanks again...

did you use techstream? or did you use a "scan tool" like you mentioned?

thanks for any info
Old 08-02-18, 09:16 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys got me curious about this e-brake feature(1st exp with this), love to learn more about it. When in auto-park, do the pistons only locked on the 2 rear ones? Or do all 4 gets locked?
Obviously in the future I'd need new pads so I am wondering if any/most mechanic(non dealership) would have this "scan tool" to retract the pistons and perform the replacement.
Old 10-21-18, 05:26 PM
Busayjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What scan tool are we talking about? I want to do my brakes myself also and I also encountered this issue.
Old 10-22-18, 12:22 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Busayjoe
What scan tool are we talking about? I want to do my brakes myself also and I also encountered this issue.
something like this.. i am NOT saying the one i linked will work for the RX350. this is meant as an example of what i meant by "scan tool"
you will need to do your own research to find one that will work on the RX 350

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-22-18, 05:17 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good God! Now I can't do a brake job without a special scan tool?
Old 10-22-18, 05:23 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
LOL! I used to do ALL maintenance on my cars, now all I do is tire rotation! Period..
Old 10-22-18, 06:01 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ravenuer
LOL! I used to do ALL maintenance on my cars, now all I do is tire rotation! Period..
I hear ya Brother!!
Old 10-22-18, 06:42 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On a side note, I went 90k on my Camry original pads since purchased new before first change! I used to hypermile and cared a ton about not using brakes, using engine (gears) or just coast to slow down. I loved that car sooo much, sold at 189k.

My RX’s auto drive is constantly in use and brakes are getting a workout, but honestly not having to press pedals is such a joy, I just can’t bring myself to drive ‘normally’. So now every drive it’s how do I ‘auto’instead of how do I hypermile. an extra brake job or two is cost of literally my rx driving me around.
Old 10-23-18, 09:41 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wktjr
i believe there is a way to do it without a scan tool - it involves removing the motor that engages the parking brake. there is a PDF floating around for the NX - i believe its similar and if it is i think it involves replacing some o-rings.

hopefully a DIY.. or someone on youtube has done it =)
Old 10-23-18, 02:27 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NX 300h / NX 200t Rear Brake Service Quick Training Guide PDF

https://media-cf.assets-cdk.com/team...TG_Outline.pdf
The following users liked this post:
chunktwo (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 05:35 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Well I got a few years before I'm due. Hopefully, an easier way will come about.
Old 03-21-19, 12:21 PM
rpjense
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys. Has there been any updates on how to retract the rear parking brake via the Techstream tool? I've got Techstream and was snooping around looking at the different options and I came across "ABS/VSC/TRAC/EPB" option. Within that, I noticed a Parking Brake SW option set to ON. To release the parking brake, do all I need to do is select this option, then I can push the brake "puck" back into the caliper? If you've used Techstream for rear brake pad replacement, can you enter the steps you used?

I did see this on youtube. Basically the mechanic appears to be disconnecting the EPB lead and jumping across the two leads with 12 volts. This might be my plan B if I can't get the instructions for Techstream.

Lastly, the NXT instructions seen in previous comments have a mechanical option to manually reset the EPB. I think this may be my plan C due to needing new seals for the EPB cover once removed.
The following users liked this post:
chunktwo (03-22-19)
Old 03-22-19, 06:10 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rpjense
Hey guys. Has there been any updates on how to retract the rear parking brake via the Techstream tool? I've got Techstream and was snooping around looking at the different options and I came across "ABS/VSC/TRAC/EPB" option. Within that, I noticed a Parking Brake SW option set to ON. To release the parking brake, do all I need to do is select this option, then I can push the brake "puck" back into the caliper? If you've used Techstream for rear brake pad replacement, can you enter the steps you used?

I did see this on youtube. Basically the mechanic appears to be disconnecting the EPB lead and jumping across the two leads with 12 volts. This might be my plan B if I can't get the instructions for Techstream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o560XEalL3M

Lastly, the NXT instructions seen in previous comments have a mechanical option to manually reset the EPB. I think this may be my plan C due to needing new seals for the EPB cover once removed.
thanks for the video.. i have seen this done on other vehicles before and figured it would work on the RX350.. its good to know it does work and someone tried it..
on a side note... i think the tool the guy in the video was looking for was "C-CLAMP" haha

thanks again
Old 05-09-19, 05:40 AM
MHRSpeedy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noob here running into issues changing my rear brakes also(2016 RX350). I've tried turning off the parking brake and I still can't get the piston retracted enough to get the caliper back on once the new pads are in place. There are a million scanner tools on Amazon, both Techstream and not. I tried Carista, but even the Pro version doesn't have this functionality; has anyone out there actually used Techstream to get this to work? I'm looking at this item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCL3DFR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2YFI7VOL2O69W&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCL3DFR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2YFI7VOL2O69W&psc=1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Brake pad replacement