RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What discount can I expect for a custom build order

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 12:30 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question What discount can I expect for a custom build order

I do get it that dealers are keen to give good discounts for inventory already on their lot, and also at the month end to be able to hit targets. I am planning to do a custom build this time. So I did a custom build as follows:
http://lexus.us/2oyw8gd

Plus CK (Cold Package), GF (Color Heads-up display) and SR (Moon Roof was told this had to form part of any luxury package), This brings the MSRP total to $59, 692.
My local dealer said, he will give a $2k discount, and the order will come by August from the Canadian factory. If at that time Lexus is running incentives I can avail of it. I also sent a quote request to 5 other dealers.

I am happy to drive 500 miles if I can get at least $1000 above the current discount of $2k. Any advice on how to play this?
Has anyone done a custom build order before, and if so what was your experience?
Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.
Old 04-15-17, 05:27 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I tell you about my experience, might help.

In mid March 2016 I place an order for a custom built IS 350 - MSRP $49,184.
I struck a deal that I was going to pay for the car $46482 (taxes extra). I received from them a hand written note with my agreed purchase price.
On June 23 (Brexit Day!) I picked up the car - I received additional $2,000 discount since I opted for the highest interest rate that automatically entitled me for such discount. I knew I was going to pay off the loan very quickly so the high interest rate (~2.6%) made no difference to me. Actually the car is now almost fully paid for.
I learned something in the process - I believe I could have got another $500-$1000 discount if I played my cards right. While negotiating I never really got them the point when they said they couldn't sell me the car for that price so I never tested their true bottom, perhaps I was too anxious to get the car. The basis of my negotiating power were numbers I found on truecar.com - based on your zip code, car, options, etc they tell you what sort of discount people are getting.
Bear in mind - I never heard from them that if I got a car from their lot they could give me a bigger discount, never heard such a thing.

I figure since your car is more expensive (almost 20% more) you should get even higher discount - the discount should be proportional to your MSRP.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-17, 07:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
My local dealer said, he will give a $2k discount, and the order will come by August from the Canadian factory. If at that time Lexus is running incentives I can avail of it. I also sent a quote request to 5 other dealers.
While it is good that you will get any rebates that are in effect at the time when the car is delivered, note that, in August, discounting from the dealer (aside from rebates) on cars in their inventory will be much steeper than it is now. In August, the dealers will be only weeks away from receiving their first shipments of the 2018 models, and that is when they will be starting to push to pare down their inventory of 2017 vehicles.

Considering that the car that you will be buying will be getting close to being "last year's model", instead of comparing prices that people are paying now for cars off the lot to the price you will pay for your custom order, it is more appropriate to be comparing what prices likely will be for cars off the lot in August to what you will be paying for that custom order.
Old 04-16-17, 06:57 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I was able to get 1500 off msrp for custom order 3-4 months the first RX came out. It's just a matter about being able to say no and moving on. IF they know you want it, they won't negotiate even a little. Remember you can always back out of a custom order. You get your deposit back no harm no foul.
Old 04-16-17, 04:59 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Thanks guys.
The discount in mid-west, particularly the low populated states is very low compared to Florida, CA, Atlanta. He did say my car would arrive in August and there would be heavy discounting then so I can avail of Lexus promotions at that time on top of the current $2k discount. But the bottom line is that he is only giving $2k. I did tell him I sent the same quote to 5 dealers and I would revert to him if I was going to buy from him. Let me see what my neighboring state dealers give as discount.
Old 04-16-17, 08:34 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks guys.
The discount in mid-west, particularly the low populated states is very low compared to Florida, CA, Atlanta. He did say my car would arrive in August and there would be heavy discounting then so I can avail of Lexus promotions at that time on top of the current $2k discount. But the bottom line is that he is only giving $2k. I did tell him I sent the same quote to 5 dealers and I would revert to him if I was going to buy from him. Let me see what my neighboring state dealers give as discount.
I ordered a 2017 last August and was delivered in January. Got 5% off from Ray Catena in Freehold NJ. Joel Cohen was my contact there. I know many get more off from cars already in dealer's inventory but I was thrilled to get exactly what I wanted and didn't have to compromise getting (and paying for) options that I didn't want (like the pano roof).
Old 04-17-17, 06:38 AM
upnorth85
Rookie

Originally Posted by sderman
I ordered a 2017 last August and was delivered in January. Got 5% off from Ray Catena in Freehold NJ. Joel Cohen was my contact there. I know many get more off from cars already in dealer's inventory but I was thrilled to get exactly what I wanted and didn't have to compromise getting (and paying for) options that I didn't want (like the pano roof).
I agree that getting a discount on additional options that pad the MSRP may not be the best choice for everyone. For me wanting certain features is just as important in paying for features such as an additional oil cooler for towing etc

So why did your car take this long to arrive? I thought the time line is 3-4 months. Not knowing your dates it could be 5-6 months.
Old 04-17-17, 08:06 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree that getting a discount on additional options that pad the MSRP may not be the best choice for everyone. For me wanting certain features is just as important in paying for features such as an additional oil cooler for towing etc

So why did your car take this long to arrive? I thought the time line is 3-4 months. Not knowing your dates it could be 5-6 months.
The order was placed at the very end of August and the RX was picked up in mid-January, so it was 4.5 months. I think the custom order was slowed then (early in the 2017 production cycle) since the plant was busy pushing out loads of cars with standard packages to fill the dealer's inventory.
Old 04-17-17, 10:56 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So why did your car take this long to arrive? I thought the time line is 3-4 months.
In my case it was almost precisely 3 months - what was very comforting for me that on the night we struck a deal the dealer sat with me in his office, opened up the screen with all cars that were already in the pipeline for his dealership and simply edited one of those cars to match my order. Like I said this car was already in the pipeline but he still could edit all the options including engine type, suspension, colors, equipment, etc (he essentially completely redid the car). Then he handed me the printout, signed his name on top and scribbled the price.
Old 04-19-17, 06:25 AM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazing! You guys want to build a car so you can get a oil cooler?? I got 11% off sticker or $6400 off MSRP. Think I can buy a oil cooler for that? All you special build items are worth nothing when you sell the vehicle. Different strokes for different folks but that math doesn't work for me, in addition I have been driving my 2017 since November 2016...........Good luck.
Old 04-20-17, 05:33 PM
dleindec
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrichter
Amazing! You guys want to build a car so you can get a oil cooler?? I got 11% off sticker or $6400 off MSRP. Think I can buy a oil cooler for that? All you special build items are worth nothing when you sell the vehicle. Different strokes for different folks but that math doesn't work for me, in addition I have been driving my 2017 since November 2016...........Good luck.

i built a car so I could get every available factory option on a loaded 2017 rx 450h f sport, in exactly the exterior and interor color I wanted. I got about 5% off of msrp and was very happy with that, no other local dealers would discount off of msrp. It took 4 months, and I love the car.
Old 04-30-17, 12:45 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i spoke to Park Place in late 2016 about custom ordering a 2017 and they were only willing to come $1000 off MSRP which was ridiculous IMO. I ended up finding one that was very close to my ideal spec and got a great deal on it by playing them and a out of state dealer against each other. I think you just have a lot less leverage when wanting a custom order vehicle with Lexus. I ordered my M5 custom and still got a great deal from BMW. I guess every make is different.
Old 04-30-17, 07:17 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

I thought hard about this. Every new car we buy has extra things we do not need and then they give a discount. Our last Lexus had an oil cooler for towing and so forth. So even with a little less discount it is a better deal because you can get everything you want. The Lexus 350 AWD Rx I ordered is around $59,800. It is fully loaded and there is nothing I do not want. The only issue in this is you double pay for some items. E.g., some features under cold package are already included in the luxury package and they do not reduce the price of cold package. Lexus also refused to make this build without a Sun roof or Moon Roof. That was another $1100. I have enough melanin and could have done without the MR. All in all, very happy. This is for my wife. I drive a 2014 Acura MDX. If her vehicle is good, I may also switch to Lexus. The final build order

Plus Cold Package (CK), Color heads-up display (GF), Moonroof.
Old 04-30-17, 09:23 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought hard about this. Every new car we buy has extra things we do not need and then they give a discount. Our last Lexus had an oil cooler for towing and so forth. So even with a little less discount it is a better deal because you can get everything you want. The Lexus 350 AWD Rx I ordered is around $59,800. It is fully loaded and there is nothing I do not want. The only issue in this is you double pay for some items. E.g., some features under cold package are already included in the luxury package and they do not reduce the price of cold package. Lexus also refused to make this build without a Sun roof or Moon Roof. That was another $1100. I have enough melanin and could have done without the MR. All in all, very happy. This is for my wife. I drive a 2014 Acura MDX. If her vehicle is good, I may also switch to Lexus. The final build order

Plus Cold Package (CK), Color heads-up display (GF), Moonroof.
I'm sure you will be very happy with it. My wife loves hers. How long did they tell you on the build?
Old 04-30-17, 11:09 PM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a custom order for a lease. I wanted very specific things. Fully loaded except no rear seat entertainment. White exterior with black interior. I also wanted Lexus installed mud guards and tow hitch, which are significantly cheaper if added as an installed option at time of order vs. having installed at the dealer.

I leased the vehicle. 3 years 10,000 miles per year
MSRP: $64,754
Dealer Discount: ($6,000)
Lexus Lease Cash: ($500)
Price: $58,254

I'm sure I could have pushed lower, but I'm very satisfied. The only thing I did unexpectedly was buy Lexus prepaid service. It was an extra $1900 which was rolled into the lease payments. 5 years 50,000 miles of services. Covers all services with the exception of break pads and tires (neither which should need replaced before service expires). Less for me to worry about and my local dealer will do light services (oil changes and filters) on the road (home or office) to make life easier.

They will also pro-rate the $1900 prepaid service should I decided to turn the car in at the end of the lease instead of buy it.

Quick Reply: What discount can I expect for a custom build order